Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,451
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Rear backup camera help - need advice

Hi all. I am considering purchasing this item from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380194355388

Normally I wouldn't do this as I'm a fairly wary person on electronics from ebay but my mechanic bought a unit for his Range Rover from the same seller (presumably this is the same manufacturer for the Rover and BMW units) and installed it himself and it works perfectly.

You may or may not remember but I tried to install the Dension system in my car but it wouldn't work. The plug behind the radio wasn't correct for the Dension and video would not function.

This unit apparently is installed BEHIND everything in the trunk only, no need to remove any pieces or install this in the car behind the head unit/nav screen. It seems easy in theory. You just install this between the nav system and the car connections.

Any thoughts? It looks great on the Rover - had the guidelines, depth markers in numerals and changed colors if you went outside the lines. Not sure if it's infrared, but that might be a camera function, not the module.

Thanks
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
csmeance's Avatar
csmeance csmeance is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Daytona Beach
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,274
Mein Auto: 760Li
FYI it doesn't include a camera! Roveractive.biz sells a factory backup camera but it's nearly 1K!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 AM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,451
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
I did notice it doesn't include a camera. Seems as if MOST of the better systems (not that this is necessarily one of them) do not come with the camera. Even the ones from NAVTV i believe are stand alone. There are hundreds of night vision 170 degree cameras on ebay for about $25-40 including shipping, so that doesn't worry me. It's just the install part that makes me nervous. I emailed the seller to see if he/she has instructions and if they're detailed or in a foreign language.
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-21-2010, 07:49 AM
snoopkhan snoopkhan is offline
Registered User
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 48
Mein Auto: 750Li - F02
so did you end up getting this? I'm thinking of picking one up too....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Wilassasin's Avatar
Wilassasin Wilassasin is offline
Wilassasin
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,567
Mein Auto: 07' 750Li(sport)/C6 conv.
No thanks for me, ill just wait until I update my car for this feature...
__________________
Mr. Officer

09' 335i xdrive coupe(sold),
750 sport(sold)
, 2013' S550 4matic (AMG Sport Pack), C6 convertible...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-21-2010, 09:40 AM
TUF-FKR TUF-FKR is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego, So-Cal!
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 192
Mein Auto: Beemer Soon!
I think the most difficult part of this install would be the camera and finding a good spot to mount it. Would you replace one of your reverse sensors? The wiring install looks pretty simple and the NAV unit is one of the more simpler items to access in your car. So, the converter looks rather easy. Again, I have no idea where I would successfully mount a camera on the rear of the car without some serious mods.

Anyone have any ideas? Where did your Range Rover buddy mount his? There are probably more options on that car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
holla9 holla9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF-FKR View Post
I think the most difficult part of this install would be the camera and finding a good spot to mount it. Would you replace one of your reverse sensors? The wiring install looks pretty simple and the NAV unit is one of the more simpler items to access in your car. So, the converter looks rather easy. Again, I have no idea where I would successfully mount a camera on the rear of the car without some serious mods.

Anyone have any ideas? Where did your Range Rover buddy mount his? There are probably more options on that car.
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=3024
__________________
08 750i sport/conv/lux Alpine White
09 Acura Mdx
05 mb s600 v12 "SOLD" <--- Thank God
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-23-2010, 01:46 PM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,451
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Camera can't be too deep on the backside or it won't fit in the light area.
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
rideme2's Avatar
rideme2 rideme2 is offline
rideme2
Location: new york
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 548
Mein Auto: 2006li bmw
I used navtool works great! Hookup in the back only, convert my front screen so I can watch DVDs.


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	255825  
__________________
2006 750li K&N Filters Giovanna Kilis on 265/30/22 305/25/22 HID fogs 6000k Mtec angel eyes all lights 6000k ACS front lip,ACS rear wing,ACS rear window wing.dual exhaust working qual tips, rear camera, upgrade DVD to front watch jl13.5t sub with jl500/1v2 amp power cap.PassPort 9500ci,CrossDrilled&Slotted Rotors with EBC Brake Pads.Rear comfort seats, Fully loaded from dealer. Next mod iPhone hookup, .
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
1972arg 1972arg is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 750I
I just bought this unit too. Installation looks very simple (only 3 wires ) and I already installed the camera in the back but I need help since I am installaing a camera in the front too but dont know how to run wires drom front bumper to trunk. Any help will be appreciated. I offered $200 and was accepted.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,451
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
1972, which camera did you get? Thats where I'm stuck now
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:47 PM
1972arg 1972arg is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 750I
DLF 750 I bought this one from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT
I will post pic of my rear car tomorrow. Looks Great, Almost OEM

Rideme2
Can you post installation pics of the navtool ??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Mr_Burger's Avatar
Mr_Burger Mr_Burger is offline
2007 760Li User
Location: England (south coast)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 884
Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Has anyone considered adding the look left/right cameras to the front wheel arches??? (as found on the new model)
__________________
My 760Li - Fully Loaded
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM
holla9 holla9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 08 750i
So you guys think this will work with the NAVTOOL...

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=3024

and i take it the parking sensors will be disabled??????
or can you use them too
__________________
08 750i sport/conv/lux Alpine White
09 Acura Mdx
05 mb s600 v12 "SOLD" <--- Thank God

Last edited by holla9; 11-23-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
kontir's Avatar
kontir kontir is offline
Tirona
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 604
Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideme2 View Post
I used navtool works great! Hookup in the back only, convert my front screen so I can watch DVDs.


Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
Then I got to pay you visit...!
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2137&pictureid=8922
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
1972arg 1972arg is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 22
Mein Auto: 08 BMW 750I
The set up is very easy. I just would like someone to post picture of th installation and how to run cables for a front bumper camera. Looks like nobody have front cameras in their bimmers and or not want to share their secrets.

If someone wants a picture of how the camera looks, please ask. Im here to help.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-24-2010, 05:49 PM
holla9 holla9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 144
Mein Auto: 08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972arg View Post
The set up is very easy. I just would like someone to post picture of th installation and how to run cables for a front bumper camera. Looks like nobody have front cameras in their bimmers and or not want to share their secrets.

If someone wants a picture of how the camera looks, please ask. Im here to help.
Can u show/tell me how you installed the rear camera. And what camera you bought.??? Thanks
__________________
08 750i sport/conv/lux Alpine White
09 Acura Mdx
05 mb s600 v12 "SOLD" <--- Thank God
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM
DLF750 DLF750 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,451
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
Please post a pic of how it looks. Thx
__________________
2011 BMW F01 750i. Dark grey, black interior. Anthracite headliner, M Package, 760 Quad Tips/Diffuser, PedalBox, Sport Package and a bunch of other stuff...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-24-2010, 08:14 PM
nellieson nellieson is offline
Registered User
Location: denver
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Backup camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF750 View Post
Hi all. I am considering purchasing this item from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=380194355388

Normally I wouldn't do this as I'm a fairly wary person on electronics from ebay but my mechanic bought a unit for his Range Rover from the same seller (presumably this is the same manufacturer for the Rover and BMW units) and installed it himself and it works perfectly.

You may or may not remember but I tried to install the Dension system in my car but it wouldn't work. The plug behind the radio wasn't correct for the Dension and video would not function.

This unit apparently is installed BEHIND everything in the trunk only, no need to remove any pieces or install this in the car behind the head unit/nav screen. It seems easy in theory. You just install this between the nav system and the car connections.

Any thoughts? It looks great on the Rover - had the guidelines, depth markers in numerals and changed colors if you went outside the lines. Not sure if it's infrared, but that might be a camera function, not the module.

Thanks


Thanks for posting this data on the backup camera. I am very interested in buying one for my 2004 745i. I will wait to see how it works out for you.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-08-2010, 05:09 AM
digitaldav digitaldav is offline
Registered User
Location: Eastern Pa.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
would also like to know the same... How do you like it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellieson View Post

Thanks for posting this data on the backup camera. I am very interested in buying one for my 2004 745i. I will wait to see how it works out for you.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 AM
tamir15 tamir15 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2006 750i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972arg View Post
The set up is very easy. I just would like someone to post picture of th installation and how to run cables for a front bumper camera. Looks like nobody have front cameras in their bimmers and or not want to share their secrets.

If someone wants a picture of how the camera looks, please ask. Im here to help.
i am having issues installing an aftermarket camera on my E65.
i am connecting it to a monitor on the dash (not the nav screen).
my problem is with the 12v power to the camera. when i connect it to the reverse light bulb the image flickers and no steady image.
when i connect it to a regular 12v in the trunk (trunk light bulb or any other 12v) i get steady image and no issue.
does anybody know what may be the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 PM
Piers1989 Piers1989 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Newcastle, UK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Mein Auto: E65 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamir15 View Post
i am having issues installing an aftermarket camera on my E65.
i am connecting it to a monitor on the dash (not the nav screen).
my problem is with the 12v power to the camera. when i connect it to the reverse light bulb the image flickers and no steady image.
when i connect it to a regular 12v in the trunk (trunk light bulb or any other 12v) i get steady image and no issue.
does anybody know what may be the problem?
Mayve the reverse light is powered by PWM, but the other lights normally are too, at least the exterior ones as far as I know.

I can offer a suggestion though.

If you get a standard automotive relay, attach it to the reverse light for the "on" and to the battery / continuous on for the +ve.

That way it will turn on when reverse light is on and it will supply power form a steady source.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM
tamir15 tamir15 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2006 750i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
Mayve the reverse light is powered by PWM, but the other lights normally are too, at least the exterior ones as far as I know.

I can offer a suggestion though.

If you get a standard automotive relay, attach it to the reverse light for the "on" and to the battery / continuous on for the +ve.

That way it will turn on when reverse light is on and it will supply power form a steady source.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Piers1989.
can you explain how to connect the relay to the reverse light wires?
should i connect one lead to the negative wire and the normally open lead to the positive wire? i know the relay has 4 or 5 leads but i am not sure which one to use and how to connect them
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Piers1989 Piers1989 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Newcastle, UK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 302
Mein Auto: E65 745i
A normal single throw relay should have a diagram like this on it:



Its very simple how it works, pins 85 and 86 turn on an electro magnet which in turn pulls a switch shut, connecting pins 87 and 30.

So (assuming the bulb works as I would expect, being on when positive is applied, as opposed to being constantly live and negative applied to turn it on) you would splice the bulb cable and attach it to pin 85 and then 86 to ground.

If the bulb is constantly live and activated by a negative, then you would connect pin 85 to it in the same way, and pin 86 to a ground in the car.

You would then attach pin 30 to a constant positive (battery terminal, and other constant +ve feed), and pin 87 to the "remote on / power supply" for your reversing camera.

In this way when the reverse light turns on, it flips the switch turning the reverse camera on, and when you turn it off the relay turns it back off.

If you find it works, but the bulb no longer illuminates at all, then you need to splice the other side of the bulb connector as you're making the circuit cut out the light. In most cases it shouldn't matter which side of the bulb you attach the relay (depends on the resistance).

I hope my description makes sense

Last edited by Piers1989; 02-11-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM
tamir15 tamir15 is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 2006 750i E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
A normal single throw relay should have a diagram like this on it:



Its very simple how it works, pins 85 and 86 turn on an electro magnet which in turn pulls a switch shut, connecting pins 87 and 30.

So (assuming the bulb works as I would expect, being on when positive is applied, as opposed to being constantly live and negative applied to turn it on) you would splice the bulb cable and attach it to pin 85 and then 86 to ground.

If the bulb is constantly live and activated by a negative, then you would connect pin 85 to it in the same way, and pin 86 to a ground in the car.

You would then attach pin 30 to a constant positive (battery terminal, and other constant +ve feed), and pin 87 to the "remote on / power supply" for your reversing camera.

In this way when the reverse light turns on, it flips the switch turning the reverse camera on, and when you turn it off the relay turns it back off.

If you find it works, but the bulb no longer illuminates at all, then you need to splice the other side of the bulb connector as you're making the circuit cut out the light. In most cases it shouldn't matter which side of the bulb you attach the relay (depends on the resistance).

I hope my description makes sense
Piers1989
thanks for the detailed explanation.
the only thing i would ask is about pins 85 and 86.
my google search showed that pin 86 should be connected to the 12v and pin 85 to ground. your explanation has it reversed. does it matter how these two are connected?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms