Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 12-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
battery change on 2008 535xi

Greetings,
For those of you who have had your white battery wear out and no longer hold a charge, here are some directions on how to change the battery. Signs of trouble include the date and tripmeter keep resetting. You charge the battery up to 12.8 volts and by the next day, it is down to 12.3, etc.

Go buy an AGM battery. It has a black case. Get it done by BMW and pay $500. Do it yourself for around $225. The AGM is more money, but worth it. You need to register the new battery and ensure the computer knows it is now an AGM.

I bought a Carquest 49AGM-70 (used to be 49AGM-75). Great price of $175. Comes with a 6 year warranty (3 years of direct replacement).Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	210541

Here are the instructions for removal and replacement:
  1. Open trunk
  2. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0015.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	210548Remove the cover inside on the passenger side right rear corner. It has 2 plugs that you turn 90 degrees.
  3. Open the cover to the tire and hook on weatherstripping at base of rear window.
  4. Grab little pull hook at rear base of battery cover area and pull to the left. The piece will pop out. Make sure you don't lose the 2 plugs.
  5. Remove the black brace by removing the 2 silver bolts, they're metric!
  6. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	210547Remove the 1 battery holder with a phillips screwdriver, it is located at the end of the battery by the Negative post. It is about 9" long.
  7. Disconnect the Negative cable by using a metric socket with an extension. 1/4" drive will work fine. You back off the small nut that is over the open end of the cable connector clamp. Only about 8 turns is needed. Move it out of the way.
  8. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	210537The Positive cable looks like two cables are needed to be removed. That is not the case. Between the two red cable ends is a plastic cover. Simply press the rearmost end and flip the cover towards the front of the car.
  9. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	210538Using the same metric socket, back off the nut about 8 turns. Wiggle the Positive clamp and remove it.
  10. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	210539Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	210540On the front end, you will see a 90 degree ell connected to the battery. This is the vent, gently pull it out from the battery only.
  11. Brace yourself and remove the battery, being carefull not to rip out any wiring.
  12. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	210542Plug the hole near the Negative post of the new battery with RTV. You only have one vent tube. It is the one directly opposite where the old one was connected to the old battery.
  13. Install the battery, leaving the safety caps on.
  14. Gently, connect the vent to the hole near the Positive post.
  15. Slide the battery forward and insert the battery holder rod in the closest hole.
  16. Tighten it down firmly, but don't reef on it.
  17. Cnnnect the Positive cable to the Positive post and tighten firmly, not over tight.
  18. Connect the Negative cable to the Negative post and tighten firmly, not over tight.
  19. Reinstall the black bar with the 2 silver bolts. Tighten firmly.
  20. Reinstall the battery cover piece ensuring you fit it in the tabs properly.
  21. Install the 2 plugs with the flat sides up and down, turn 90 degrees with a screwdriver.
  22. Lover the tire cover.
  23. Start the car and turn the wheel to the left and right, fully! This resets the steering.
  24. Reset the time and date, one last time!

You are done! Enjoy your car, but don't leave the lights on so long next time!
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 11:38 AM
335i E92 Le Mans Blue

Send a message via AIM to revlimit Send a message via MSN to revlimit
Mein Auto: Accord
How did you register the battery?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM

I took it to my local BMW dealer and paid $55. You can register it yourself if you buy the scan tool as shown on this website, but that costs alot more and my car is still under their care and warranty supervision. If I messed with it, I am sure they would void any warranty.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:01 PM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman-175 View Post
I took it to my local BMW dealer and paid $55. You can register it yourself if you buy the scan tool as shown on this website, but that costs alot more and my car is still under their care and warranty supervision. If I messed with it, I am sure they would void any warranty.
Local dealer as in BMW Seattle or Bellevue? One of them want to charge me $110 to register a new CA remote, which is why I have not bought it yet. I wonder if they will do both at once for one "fair" price.

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 AM

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Fireman,

Thanks, this was very helpful. I replaced my battery in my 535i and it went extremely smoothly thanks to your post and having a handy iPad propped in the trunk to follow along with.

Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi E60
Register battery

Can you explain what registering the battery means? I have a 6 year old 535xi and it is out of warranty...would I still need to register the battery?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:43 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanQuigley View Post
Can you explain what registering the battery means? I have a 6 year old 535xi and it is out of warranty...would I still need to register the battery?
Why not?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535xi sport
Registering the battery is required in order for the car to know how to properly charge the replacement battery. You can certainly put a new battery in and not register it, the downside is that it will definitely not last as long due to potential overcharging etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 535Xi
2008 535XI Battery drain

Hi All,

First timer on Bimmerfest!!!! Thnx to all of you who help posting/sharing their experience. I bought this low mileage CPO in Mar 2010. I still have 2 years of extended waranty which I came to know today that it won't cover the baterry.

Lately, my tripmeter/date/time was reseting. I had given it for service / state inspection last Friday and found out I have to pay $$$ to replace the bushings. A day later on Sunday, I was about to go out and my car won't start and the warning sign poped up with ABS DTS malfunction. Today, I called the AAA for a jump start. The guy ran a 5-10 min of diagonastics and told me that the battery is drawing low due to some drain and the meter should be stable at 0.79 (something, I did not understand). I took it to the dealership and as it was as expected, the charges to diagnose was 75 and they told me if nothing is draining the battery then its the weak battery and it has to replaced and will cost me 436 ( 245 battery cost + 165 service). The guy gave me 50 manufacture's competetion discount. But still had to pay 390 something.

BMW 535 XI
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM

I just installed a battery in my 2008 535xi. How do I register it with BMW?
Also, I recevied a code A559???
Old 04-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 05 E60 545i, 84 E30 318i
Looks like my battery is done now. My motor wont even turn over, just a bunch of clicking even after charging multiple times. After I do the reinstall, how long can I safely last without registering my battery. I ask because the nearest Dealer to me is an hour away, so I cant just pop right in after I change it.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, 535i, 740i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman21 GFFR View Post
I just installed a battery in my 2008 535xi. How do I register it with BMW?
Also, I recevied a code A559???
You don't actually register the battery with BMW, but change settings in the car so it recognizes the actual, exact battery's specifications and when it was installed. This loads/creates a charging profile that tells the car how and how much to charge the battery. Not everyone realizes, but car batteries are charged frequently by the car, but the car has to know when to charge it and when to relax. BMW has a pretty complicated system. The settings are to keep the battery from constantly being over or under charged. /..