Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 X5 2004 3.0 SPORT
Re-mapping

Just bought an E46 2003 330 sedan with the 6 speed manual box - wow awesome performance. 231 bhp, 0 to 60 in 6.3 sec and tops out at 155mph. Can these cars be re-mapped? if so what is the sort of performance I could gain?

Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Options differ between the US and Europe, but it looks like your model is sort of like our Performance Package (ZHP). Does your car have an Alcantara steering wheel, sport seats with slide-out thigh supports, and a 6800 RPM redline ?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-11-2013, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5 2004 3.0 SPORT
Hi

yes to the Alcantara steering wheel, soft black nappa leather sport seats full electric three position memory and heated with thigh supports, the red line is at 6600 RPM though?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
of course you can get a software remap, i advise you go with upsolute, coupled with aftermarket headers, expect to get 25-30RWHP in gains.
these are very common where i'm from, i'm gonna do them myself

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
of course you can get a software remap, i advise you go with upsolute, coupled with aftermarket headers, expect to get 25-30RWHP in gains.
these are very common where i'm from, i'm gonna do them myself
That Upsolute website reminds me of some cheesy eBay "Mega Chip" site. I'd personally go with a Shark Injector. Of course, if custom dyno tuning were available and I could afford it, I'd go that route.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM

hopefully i can find a place that does dyno tests, this way i'll get stock / headers / headers + remap numbers and post it for u guys
the remap costs around 450$, get to savin' and dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiitt!!

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
hopefully i can find a place that does dyno tests, this way i'll get stock / headers / headers + remap numbers and post it for u guys
the remap costs around 450$, get to savin' and dooooooo iiiiiiiiiiitt!!
Have you seen Upsolute's website? How have they managed to spend that much time and perfect tunes for almost every make and model of vehicle? It smells like bullshit to me.

Stick with the Shark Injector, Active Autowerke's tune, Turner Motorsport's tune, or any other BMW-specific deal. I'll trust someone who's had more experience with BMWs specifically than just some chip company that advertises BMW, Land Rover, and Mitsubishi.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Have you seen Upsolute's website? How have they managed to spend that much time and perfect tunes for almost every make and model of vehicle? It smells like bullshit to me.

Stick with the Shark Injector, Active Autowerke's tune, Turner Motorsport's tune, or any other BMW-specific deal. I'll trust someone who's had more experience with BMWs specifically than just some chip company that advertises BMW, Land Rover, and Mitsubishi.
I`m with you on this issue....even luminary gurus like Steve Dinan (who`s been tuning BMWs for over 30 years) have not been able to generate any *substantial* improvements, so I would be hard-pressed to think that Upsolute can do it....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I`m with you on this issue....even luminary gurus like Steve Dinan (who`s been tuning BMWs for over 30 years) have not been able to generate any *substantial* improvements, so I would be hard-pressed to think that Upsolute can do it....
There was one guy on E46Fanatics who posted some 20+ WHP gain on his ZHP from Bren Tuning. Whether or not those figures are totally true is yet to be established. He said he can definitely feel a difference, though.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Bren Tuning: 11hp/11tq 440$ (how did E46fanatics guy get 20+?)
eurocharged: 11hp/11tq 500$ (quoted by Jerry)
Upsolute: 15hp/25tq 450$ (optimistic? maybe)
of course they'll be a difference in performance after a remap from all companies, but which is best? not even dyno are that accurate at times
for an average of 460$ and gains of around of 13hp/16tq, i would say it's not a bad deal

Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Bren Tuning: 11hp/11tq 440$ (how did E46fanatics guy get 20+?)
eurocharged: 11hp/11tq 500$ (quoted by Jerry)
Upsolute: 15hp/25tq 450$ (optimistic? maybe)
of course they'll be a difference in performance after a remap from all companies, but which is best? not even dyno are that accurate at times
for an average of 460$ and gains of around of 13hp/16tq, i would say it's not a bad deal
See this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=610650
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
Keeping it surreal

Bottom line:

There are about a hundred different ways to manipulate the outcome, making numbers look favorable toward one manufacturer or another (and they ALL use these tricks), so it`s really hard to tell who`s stretching the truth (so we have to assume they ALL are )
Let`s face it....they`re all in it to make money, and it`s a tough market, so they`re gonna pitch it as hard as they can.

IMHO, quarter-mile times are one of the best barometers for judging engine performance....trap speeds are a great way of determining a car`s real-world horsepower.

So, to me, having a Dyno pull, backed up by a quarter-mile run, would provide more concrete evidence than anything that`s been presented so far....

Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Bottom line:

There are about a hundred different ways to manipulate the outcome, making numbers look favorable toward one manufacturer or another (and they ALL use these tricks), so it`s really hard to tell who`s stretching the truth (so we have to assume they ALL are )
Let`s face it....they`re all in it to make money, and it`s a tough market, so they`re gonna pitch it as hard as they can.

IMHO, quarter-mile times are one of the best barometers for judging engine performance....trap speeds are a great way of determining a car`s real-world horsepower.

So, to me, having a Dyno pull, backed up by a quarter-mile run, would provide more concrete evidence than anything that`s been presented so far....
I use a self-engineered straight methane injection tune. Ask me how it works...
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
I would imagine it entails the ingestion of several breakfast burritos, followed by the use of an enema hose ?

Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
I would imagine it entails the ingestion of several breakfast burritos, followed by the use of an enema hose ?
Large quantities of minestrone. And a funnel.

Funnels are less invasive.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Quietly Learning E46

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Quote:
WARNING!
Keep away from open flame.

Avoid close contact
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Mein Auto: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
EuroCharged...
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
so I would be hard-pressed to think that Upsolute can do it....
Upsolute maybe not, but Vornado can.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
i still don't understand how a Shark managed 20hp or even claiming it would go over 10hp, isn't it supposed to give u better throttle response and hit 7k RPM?

Quote:
Bottom line:

i agree with u Bob 100% regarding how to calculate gains off of any kind of tune since Dyno may not be 100% accurate (they tell u there is a margin of error and test results differ from one Dyno to another)
however each speaks from his own experience regarding companies that do custom ECU remap. the remapping industry is similar to any other, it's a tough competition and at the end most of the reputable companies will give almost same numbers for almost same price (similar to why u have Subaru STi and Mitsu Evo, people choose one over the other based on personal preferences and style) but at the end both cars are neck to neck.
where i'm at, Upsolute is very popular, and in drag races it's proven to provide very decent gains (i realized that we have only 1 Dyno in the whole country, and it's not accurate ) so no dyno's can be provided, however drag races provide a decent evidence and that Upsolute remapped vehicles gained noticeable HP and turned a drag race's result upside down.
my Dyno is gonna be a a series of drag race with my friend's Z350, first on stock setup, second with only Headers installed, and the last with Headers + Remap.
this should provide better evidence than the Dyno does

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
i still don't understand how a Shark managed 20hp or even claiming it would go over 10hp, isn't it supposed to give u better throttle response and hit 7k RPM?

i agree with u Bob 100% regarding how to calculate gains off of any kind of tune since Dyno may not be 100% accurate (they tell u there is a margin of error and test results differ from one Dyno to another)
however each speaks from his own experience regarding companies that do custom ECU remap. the remapping industry is similar to any other, it's a tough competition and at the end most of the reputable companies will give almost same numbers for almost same price (similar to why u have Subaru STi and Mitsu Evo, people choose one over the other based on personal preferences and style) but at the end both cars are neck to neck.
where i'm at, Upsolute is very popular, and in drag races it's proven to provide very decent gains (i realized that we have only 1 Dyno in the whole country, and it's not accurate ) so no dyno's can be provided, however drag races provide a decent evidence and that Upsolute remapped vehicles gained noticeable HP and turned a drag race's result upside down.
my Dyno is gonna be a a series of drag race with my friend's Z350, first on stock setup, second with only Headers installed, and the last with Headers + Remap.
I`m sure you`ll keep us informed....stay safe out there !

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I`m sure you`ll keep us informed....stay safe out there !
u bet

Old 02-14-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:

The 20 HP came from the custom tune from Bren Tuning.

As for your "dyno," be careful. All it takes is one mishap and...
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM

stock ZHP M/T (urs truly) VS stock Golf 6 GTI with DSG on a 1/4 mile stretch
and the winner is...
i realized something yesterday while doing multiple drag races with my friends, the ZHP has an insane 1st gear my car revs at 7K RPM, i instantly gain 1/2 a car length from first on all the cars. came up by 1 car length as soon as i hit 3rd, finished third 1.5 cars length.
i also tried with a re-mapped Z350, same story at first, hit 2nd, and it started gaining ground, finished 3rd he was 1.5 cars length ahead.
damn that remap does give performance boost on higher RPMs
gave it also a go with an M3 SMG, it was a disaster 1st gear was mine, as soon as we hit 2nd, i was waving byebye
can't wait to get those headers and remap in, should be very interesting

Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

I have a video from when I played with a friend's 350Z. I thought I was doing well until I shifted into fourth...

I'll post it when I get to the office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 02-25-2013, 07:55 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
I have a video from when I played with a friend's 350Z. I thought I was doing well until I shifted into fourth...

I'll post it when I get to the office.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
350's are quick, but they are far from the total package like BMW's are. VQ engines are too rough for my taste, but they ARE fast.