Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
So San Bernardino will 100% be closed in May?

There is no good information out there. I found a youtube video of people on it in October and some posts say it is hit or miss and you need to check before departing....other posts on various forums say for sure closed.

Can anyone speak from experience?

Last edited by jtuds; 02-09-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
If I could predict the weather with certain accuracy 3 months out I would not have to work anymore.. Check the road conditions just before you head for the pass.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 02-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
If I could predict the weather with certain accuracy 3 months out I would not have to work anymore.. Check the road conditions just before you head for the pass.
So you're sayin there's a chance....
Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM

St. Gottard Pass is another possibility and it is on the way to Lucerne/Zurich...I've seen forums and youtube videos discussing/showing it open in May...

Just not sure what the most reliable source of information is to determine whether or not they are open within a few days of my journey
Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 PM
weissbiermeister

Mein Auto: F355 GTS, '11&'14 535Mspt
I've traveled San Bernardino pass in early May. The Autostrada road was not passable in some areas, so I remember there being detours of 1/2-4 miles in some places that took you along frontage roads and through little towns.
Check in advance, don't know if my experience is typical..
ED#1 '04 M3 Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 5/04... Munich/Como/Modena/Monaco/Rapallo/Munich
ED#2 '05 M3 Comp. Pkg. Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 9/05...Munich/F1 Ital. GP/Lugano/Lucerne/F1 Spa-Cologne
ED#3. '14 535i MSport-Carbon/Ivory ED'ed 10/13...Munich, Reutte, Como, Luzern, Zurich
Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Weather can be extremely variable during your time frame in Europe. Our ED was 5/12/11 and most of the first week of our trip in Germany and Austria was overcast, rainy, and cold, and we wore jeans and jackets. Zugspitze was closed due to snow and we saw lots of snow in the mountains around Innstruck, Mittenwald, and Garmisch-Partinkirchen, and got the snowflake on the dash on the Alpenstrasse. The second week was mostly sunny and warm and we wore shorts and t-shirts.

No one can predict what the weather will be and one person's experience in one place on a certain date is no indication that the weather would even be similar in the same place on the same date in a different year (or even the next day!)

For that matter, here in San Diego, a week ago it was warm and sunny with temp in the 80's, yesterday was cold and rainy with temp in the upper 40's.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdreiSMG View Post
I've traveled San Bernardino pass in early May. The Autostrada road was not passable in some areas, so I remember there being detours of 1/2-4 miles in some places that took you along frontage roads and through little towns.
Check in advance, don't know if my experience is typical..
when did you drive it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Weather can be extremely variable during your time frame in Europe. Our ED was 5/12/11 and most of the first week of our trip in Germany and Austria was overcast, rainy, and cold, and we wore jeans and jackets. Zugspitze was closed due to snow and we saw lots of snow in the mountains around Innstruck, Mittenwald, and Garmisch-Partinkirchen, and got the snowflake on the dash on the Alpenstrasse. The second week was mostly sunny and warm and we wore shorts and t-shirts.

No one can predict what the weather will be and one person's experience in one place on a certain date is no indication that the weather would even be similar in the same place on the same date in a different year (or even the next day!)

For that matter, here in San Diego, a week ago it was warm and sunny with temp in the 80's, yesterday was cold and rainy with temp in the upper 40's.
Do you think the performance tires that will come on my M sport will be OK on the road from Neuschwanstein to Innsbruck on delivery day?

I'm a bit pissed at myself for assuming May was safe for road conditions...

Last edited by jtuds; 02-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
weissbiermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
when did you drive it?

Do you think the performance tires that will come on my M sport will be OK on the road from Neuschwanstein to Innsbruck on delivery day?

Prob. around May 5, 2004. In an M3 and the delivery/performance tires were fine. I think the Autostrada may have been impassable due to snow melt or damage from the winter. There was snow along the side of the road most places, but not on the roadway IIRC.
ED#1 '04 M3 Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 5/04... Munich/Como/Modena/Monaco/Rapallo/Munich
ED#2 '05 M3 Comp. Pkg. Silver-Gray/Black ED'ed 9/05...Munich/F1 Ital. GP/Lugano/Lucerne/F1 Spa-Cologne
ED#3. '14 535i MSport-Carbon/Ivory ED'ed 10/13...Munich, Reutte, Como, Luzern, Zurich
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM
weissbiermeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post

Are you sure you hit 80?
We haven't hit 75 here in So OC for months.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdreiSMG View Post
Prob. around May 5, 2004. In an M3 and the delivery/performance tires were fine. I think the Autostrada may have been impassable due to snow melt or damage from the winter. There was snow along the side of the road most places, but not on the roadway IIRC.
Cool. Well I guess I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping there's some balmy weather in the alps through march and april so that I can drive one of the passes. In a perfect world, San bernardino will be open and before we hit Zurich we can take a 10 minute detour into Leichtenstein for lunch and add another country to the trip.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:53 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
when did you drive it?

Yes; you should be. But it's not like there is only one to get somewhere in Europe. There are literally dozens of ways to get from A to B, most of them FAR more interesting and fun to drive than any main roads in the US.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Are we to understand that you plan to do a delivery, drive to Neuschwanstein, tour the castle, and then drive to Innsbruck for the night. It seems a bit ambitious to me. I can see doing the delivery and driving to the castle. Spend the night (see recommendations in the Wiki) or The Lisl, a bit more upscale. Then in the morning touring the castles and drive to Innsbruck. Slow down and enjoy the sights. Europe at 100mph is wasted and just a blur.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
10 C300 4Matic ED Delivery
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
67 Mini Cooper S Just Makes You Grin
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 02-10-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M FUNF View Post
Are we to understand that you plan to do a delivery, drive to Neuschwanstein, tour the castle, and then drive to Innsbruck for the night. It seems a bit ambitious to me. I can see doing the delivery and driving to the castle. Spend the night (see recommendations in the Wiki) or The Lisl, a bit more upscale. Then in the morning touring the castles and drive to Innsbruck. Slow down and enjoy the sights. Europe at 100mph is wasted and just a blur.
I'm not going to tour the castle...not really even interested in going there, but my wife's uncle in Malaysia loves that castle. He has a framed puzzle of it in his living room and a poster of it elsewhere in the house. We figured that since we'll be so close, we might as well go and see it. My delivery is 9am, so the castle is like a 2 hour detour that won't impact our first day with the car too much.

It'll allow us to see some of the of the german alpine road as well. And the road form the castle to innsbruck looks pretty cool. But I'm not going in. I'm more into the purpose-built castles that are like 1000 years old, not so much the rich guy castles of the last 200 years.

Even if we were going to tour the castle, it's only 2 hours to insbruck from there

Last edited by jtuds; 02-10-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
So, the reason behind your question is that you really WANT to drive the col road as opposed to the tunnel, correct? I've driven that route in May and unless there's winter damage or construction, the tunnel route will certainly be open. When I did it a few years back, there was still snow at the top of the pass, but the roads were clear. A furious storm was lashing the mountain, with lighting flickering off the snowbanks as the rain bucketed down. Quite surreal. But the road over the pass is not really one of the great mountain pass drives. So I'm guessing that because of your trip routing, this is your best chance at driving a mountain pass? Otherwise, re-routing would give you a better driving experience.

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothguy View Post
So, the reason behind your question is that you really WANT to drive the col road as opposed to the tunnel, correct? I've driven that route in May and unless there's winter damage or construction, the tunnel route will certainly be open. When I did it a few years back, there was still snow at the top of the pass, but the roads were clear. A furious storm was lashing the mountain, with lighting flickering off the snowbanks as the rain bucketed down. Quite surreal. But the road over the pass is not really one of the great mountain pass drives. So I'm guessing that because of your trip routing, this is your best chance at driving a mountain pass? Otherwise, re-routing would give you a better driving experience.
The itinerary takes us into Switzerland and we could take St. Goddard or San Bernardino. I just want to drive a mountain pass, so I'm willing to do whichever one is open. Unfortunately, it looks pretty likely that neither will be open. But when I looked at St. Goddard online, it looked pretty awesome, especially the cobblestone road. Even if the mountain passes are closed, it still looks from some of the Google Street views ive seen, that I'll be driving down some pretty sweet roads with some pretty cool scenery