Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
yeah but this is so specialized. as in, who cares if you have all that torque on hand if you are in bumper to bumper traffic?
To be honest, I find both the 335i and M3 inhibited by traffic (and the US speed limits.) But I think that's also true for a lot of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Not the word I would use. My point was that if money is not any kind of issue, the M3 is far better than a 335. However because it "only" makes 295Tq at 4000 rpm vs. 300 Tq at1300 rpm you have to keep it on the boil, so to speak to get at the power. This was a major pita in city/heavy suburb rush hour traffic. By the time you got the revs where you wanted them (smoothly) you were on top of someone and had to hit the brakes. So if it is a commuter car some people may find the 335 a better fit. If not go with the M3. N4S
I think there's an art to driving the car really. It takes more attention to driving and keeping the engine in the right gear for what you intend. If you want immediate power, you would drive/shift at different points than if you were just cruising. The 335i - well, it doesn't take near the skill or attention to "go fast". The M3 is a driver's car. It's meant to be actively driven to extract the performance.

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: none
lots of wisdon here.. nice posts ppl
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330
I see alot of people are talking about the coupe vs coupe. I wonder how people's experiences are with the m3 vert? I would imagine the extra 400lbs cuts out quite a bit of the nimbleness. Reason i'm asking is because I'm considering a 640i vs m3 vert (its a price vs price issue rather than performance) and I'm curious how much the m3 vert takes the edge off the coupe m3.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldintake View Post
I see alot of people are talking about the coupe vs coupe. I wonder how people's experiences are with the m3 vert? I would imagine the extra 400lbs cuts out quite a bit of the nimbleness. Reason i'm asking is because I'm considering a 640i vs m3 vert (its a price vs price issue rather than performance) and I'm curious how much the m3 vert takes the edge off the coupe m3.
Drive the coupe with two or three friends in it - that is the power loss. Obviously, when the roof is removed from a cars structure, the character will change, however it is found more at the extremes. The vert has a better F/R weight bias than the coupe, but no doubt the changes to make the car tight with the roof off has a penalty. For me, that penalty is off-set by the experience of a hard topped convertible and one which I will rarely take advantage of.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
I didn't compare it to a Z4M, nor to any other M car. I did say, and stand by it, that I would shift less, and have less fun with the car when commuting, if it had 6MT vs M-DCT. I also said it was less efficient, more noisy, more harsh and generally LESS comfy than my wife's 335i. I also stand by all of that - and note that you "couldn't disagree with me more", but didn't post ANY statement even challenging, much less contradicting any of my claims.

That's YOUR analogy, not mine. You might also be surprised to find how close 0-60 would be between a 335i and an M3, if you don't already know.

Anyway, I LOVE my M3.
If I understood your first post correctly, your point was that you prefer your 335i over your M3 for commute because: (1) the 335i is more comfortable/quiet, (2) more fuel efficient, and (3) has more torque/accessible acceleration.

My point was that if that's what you are after, there are other cars that can do better than the 335i. The M3 is the most refined and torquiest (is this even a word?) M-car I've driven, and extracting power or riding in comfort isn't a problem at all. Unless your entire commute is bumper to bumper (then it doesn't matter what car you're driving), the M3 can be as comfortable or enjoyable as the 335i in urban commute.

Quote:
Yes, when you are driving 7+/10, you can definitely tell the difference between them. I've test-driven the coupe extensively on multiple occasions, and the coupe (and the sedan) is definitely the nimbler one by a detectable margin.

It's a trade-off though. When you put the top down and rev up the engine, it's a different feeling that you won't be able to get out of the coupe or the sedan. You just need to listen to the V8 while the top is down to appreciate the full experience.

I am not sure how the coupe vs. vert question relates to your 640i vs M3 dilema since both can be had in either form. They are fundamentally different though: one is made for people whose priority is squarely on the driving dynamics and the other for those who are seeking a luxury cruiser.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:

If you are going to get an F12/F13 6 Series get the 650i. I can honestly say even in comparison to the E93 M3 the 640i is a different car altogether. I may be one of the few here to say that I prefer my E92 M3 vs. my former 650i vert which is why i sold it. The 6 is a lovely car, but i found myself letting it sit for days - with me preferring to drive my M3. Life is about choices and I am very satisfied with mine..
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)

Last edited by car-fan; 05-19-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
If you get the 335i, you'll probably wonder (wish) what it would be like to have the M3.

If you get the M3, you'll never wish you had the 335i instead.

Above 6000rpm, the S65 makes the hairs on my arm stand up, every time. It's kinda freaky.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
If you are going to get an F12/F13 6 Series get the 650i. I can honestly say even in comparison to the E93 M3 the 640i is a different car altogether. I may be one of the few here to say that I prefer my E92 M3 vs. my former 650i vert which is why i sold it. The 6 is a lovely car, but i found myself letting it sit for days - with me preferring to drive my M3. Life is about choices and I am very satisfied with mine..
You always surprise!

Liquidated the 650i???? -- well as I mentioned to you a few months ago, I will probably be adding a vert to the household later this year, and I was seriously thinking about being a copycat and adding a 650i. I find your comments very interesting. I drove the car, it's very sexy, but I'm not sure if I love it. The 650i and M3 are very different cars with different missions, and I also prefer the M3, irrespective of cost. Later this summer, I will try out again the 650i. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by Capobranco; 05-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Yes, when you are driving 7+/10, you can definitely tell the difference between them. I've test-driven the coupe extensively on multiple occasions, and the coupe (and the sedan) is definitely the nimbler one by a detectable margin.

It's a trade-off though. When you put the top down and rev up the engine, it's a different feeling that you won't be able to get out of the coupe or the sedan. You just need to listen to the V8 while the top is down to appreciate the full experience.

I am not sure how the coupe vs. vert question relates to your 640i vs M3 dilema since both can be had in either form. They are fundamentally different though: one is made for people whose priority is squarely on the driving dynamics and the other for those who are seeking a luxury cruiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by car-fan View Post
Thanks for the replies. Truth be told, i'm not dead set on either of the vehicles because they both(actually all three, i'm also considering a 550i msport) are all great cars. Only real reason i'm comparing them is because they are at a similar price point.
It's going to be my only car because i'm getting rid of my current car plus my daily. That said, my commute is short. I'm just confused if I can sacrifice all the technology, comfort and gas mileage of the other two (5er and 6er) for the m3 vert.
Oh I also despise the available colors on the m3... Nothing is really impressing me.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
You always surprise!

Liquidated the 650i???? -- well as I mentioned to you a few months ago, I will probably be adding a vert to the household later this year, and I was seriously thinking about being a copycat and adding a 650i. I find your comments very interesting. I drove the car, it's very sexy, but I'm not sure if I love it. The 650i and M3 are very different cars with different missions, and I also prefer the M3, irrespective of cost. Later this summer, I will try out again the 650i. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Yep my F13 is gone but I'm not really missing it Capo you know I'm all over the place with these cars LOL I'll PM you on my thoughts/impressions I do likey that F13 M6 vert I am going to chill for now however - err with the exception of the F25 35i I just bought, but that's a whole other thread
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
Wow! Look at all these replies! Haha very nice write ups by some people some of you should definitely be a writer for a car mag! So this might be the time to say, thank you for all the replies and wisdom and you guys definitely helped a bit with some of your information and experiences.

I did it and bought a 2008 M3 the ad was on this site, "lemurofdoom"s post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...327&highlight=

My step dad made the trip down to Chicago to pick it up and is currently in Montana visiting with some of our friends showing off my new car! It was a very smooth deal and my step dad is very impressed with the car. And I'm counting the seconds before it arrives in Canada. I'm driving down to Vancouver today hopefully to meet up with him and take my baby the last leg of the 3000mi journey. I'll post pictures when it arrives

Oh and sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone writing this so a little finicky.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E92 M3
Wow! Look at all these replies! Haha very nice write ups by some people some of you should definitely be a writer for a car mag! So this might be the time to say, thank you for all the replies and wisdom and you guys definitely helped a bit with some of your information and experiences.

I did it and bought a 2008 M3 the ad was on this site, "lemurofdoom"s post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...327&highlight=

My step dad made the trip down to Chicago to pick it up and is currently in Montana visiting with some of our friends showing off my new car! It was a very smooth deal and my step dad is very impressed with the car. And I'm counting the seconds before it arrives in Canada. I'm driving down to Vancouver today hopefully to meet up with him and take my baby the last leg of the 3000mi journey. I'll post pictures when it arrives

Oh and sorry for no hyperlink, I'm on a phone writing this so a little finicky.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Coupe
Safe journey back home and congrats!!!

'11 M3 Coupe
'10 335i xDrive - Will be missed
Old 05-28-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: e92-n54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 335i, always been fascinated by them and I love the look andd everything. I'm planning on buying used possiblyy 2010 or older and have set my budget to that price point. Only problem I have a pretty strict criteria that's hard to find pre-owned. Blue, 6MT, cold weather and NAV. My colour is always a bit flexible if I meet the rest. It's going to be my summer vehicle. But everytime I'm on kijiji or any other site I keep going to the letter M. I just want to know what things I should think about between a M3 and a 335i. I know maintence costs will be higher and insurance will be about a thousand more a year, which I'm not really worried about. I do have a hoist in my garage so I can do my own oil changes and minor stuff, but I'm in no way experienced with imports.

With the M3 my budget would only allow 2008 and with a 335i till about 2010 so I'm just wondering what you guys think.
There "IS" a car that's between the M3 and 335. Guaranteed to be a valuable collectible in the future. See this link

Last edited by gulshan; 05-28-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulshan View Post
There "IS" a car that's between the M3 and 335. Guaranteed to be a valuable collectible in the future. See this link
"Guaranteed"?

Yeah... whoever buys one of the mass-produced cars as an investment is guaranteed to be disappointed.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 AM

Mein Auto: M3 e92 - Alpine Limited E
M all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I'm thinking about buying a 335i, always been fascinated by them and I love the look andd everything. I'm planning on buying used possiblyy 2010 or older and have set my budget to that price point. Only problem I have a pretty strict criteria that's hard to find pre-owned. Blue, 6MT, cold weather and NAV. My colour is always a bit flexible if I meet the rest. It's going to be my summer vehicle. But everytime I'm on kijiji or any other site I keep going to the letter M. I just want to know what things I should think about between a M3 and a 335i. I know maintence costs will be higher and insurance will be about a thousand more a year, which I'm not really worried about. I do have a hoist in my garage so I can do my own oil changes and minor stuff, but I'm in no way experienced with imports.

With the M3 my budget would only allow 2008 and with a 335i till about 2010 so I'm just wondering what you guys think.
OK know this is from nearly a year ago, but I really hope you got the M in the end, 335i certainly competes with the older e46, but the e92 (thats the one to get btw) is in a different league and both straight line performance and cornering are way, way better - whats really good about the car is - pop it in Drive and its a very comfortable cruiser, hit the M button and you've got a race car - defo get the DCT
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
I am getting into a E92 M3 after being in an E92 335 xdrive for 2 years. I'll tell you guys what I think haha
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: M3 e92 - Alpine Limited E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tno77 View Post
I am getting into a E92 M3 after being in an E92 335 xdrive for 2 years. I'll tell you guys what I think haha
would be great to hear what you think, as i said 335i is a great car, but the m3 is outstanding
Old 02-09-2013, 06:26 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
If I understood your first post correctly, your point was that you prefer your 335i over your M3 for commute because: (1) the 335i is more comfortable/quiet, (2) more fuel efficient, and (3) has more torque/accessible acceleration.

My point was that if that's what you are after, there are other cars that can do better than the 335i.
There are cars who do everything that either of these car do, better than either of them do it. But that's not the OP's inquiry. The requested comparison is between M3 and 335i. I happen to own both right now, so I can and do drive them back to back, on the same route, whenever I wish. Not memory from years ago, or separated by any other significant time interval or for only a fleeting commute under loan. I live with them both.

Quote:
The M3 is the most refined and torquiest (is this even a word?) M-car I've driven, and extracting power or riding in comfort isn't a problem at all. Unless your entire commute is bumper to bumper (then it doesn't matter what car you're driving), the M3 can be as comfortable or enjoyable as the 335i in urban commute.
We almost agree. The M3 is noisier, harsher, less powerful when low revs. Still, the performance is quite accessible. Jammed in traffic, the 335i automatic is uber smooth and easy to drive, and when a moment of open road appears, there's no shifting or fooling around or having had to ride at 5k rpm for the past 12 minutes to burst around everyone. Just roll on the throttle and little-drama later, you're gone. Now I'll admit, the "drama" is what the M3 is all about. I'm talking about cruising, not racing.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 AM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
If you get the 335i, you'll probably wonder (wish) what it would be like to have the M3.

Above 6000rpm, the S65 makes the hairs on my arm stand up, every time. It's kinda freaky.
THE truth and definitive answer.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 M3
335 has no button

As Mr. Clarkson stated, when you press the M button itís a game changer. This car is like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Mannered and relatively smooth until you hit the MDrive, then the S65 becomes a small nuke.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2008 M3
One way or another you'll want a M3.. I still prefer M3 against 335 even if it is an E46
Old 05-29-2013, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335 is Cabriolet
I am considering a 335. Have a2007 550 M package. Nice car. But now looking for a sportier BMW
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E90 M3
You made the right choice. I would also take possible exception to your original post where you said that the maintenance costs would be higher. You are correct that the oil changes will cost more due to the oil we use, and the tires are a little more for the most part, but the E9X M3 has shown itself to be a very reliable car without any out-of-the-ordinary maintenance needs. My 2008 E90 has a lot of miles on it and, with the normal oil change interval of 12-15K miles, it's been completely trouble free. I know you'll love the car, and I hope yours proves to be as trouble-free as mine.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:19 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post

Having been someone whose had both I can say stock to stock the M3 is WORTH the premium brand new. I think the 335i's real appeal comes in how cheap you can make it a contender, and how well those engines can take modding.

I had Dinan Stage 3 suspension on my xi with Cobb Stage 1+ (probably should run you about 3500-4100 if you built it off different parts other than Dinan... I could maybe gain 20-40hp not WHP spending the same amount on the m3) agg and the M3 is just on another level.

Last edited by SuperTerp; 06-03-2013 at 05:25 AM.