Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
My wife and I put our 550 GT in valet at the Omni last weekend. The valet enthusiastically asked if we had taken the GT on a road trip. We were walking around the hotel grounds and noticed our GT was parked in front of the hotel with a GTR, R8, and a 911. Albeit that the GT's looks are not for everyone the fact remains that it is out of the ordinary. The fact that the GT is relatively rare and it's looks as so different are big reasons that my wife decided to get a GT. I do not think that one could put GT buyers as a collective into one personality type. I do feel on some level that each GT buyer is somewhat aware of the GT's unique styling and that it is car that is not universally appealing. Making a decision to choose a GT is certainly not one made by those that are satisfied with the status quo.

That being said we love our GT, and I am grateful to everyone contributing to this forum. It is great to communicate about our common bond which is our affection for the GT. There have been many times when the information here has helped me tremendously.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 Z4 35is / 11 535Xi GT
I needed a wagon to haul furniture, visiting friends and family and to go on road trips. Yeah, can't really do that with my e89. A sedan wouldn't cut it. I've owned a Q5 and although a decent car, I was bothered by a few of its quirks. Looked at the BMW SUVs X3, X5, X6 and just really hated the ride in general. The X5, X6 are too mushy and honestly really truck like and unattractive. The X3 a bit better but a bit small and really ugly. The best choice for me boiled down to an E61 wagon (since the F11 is not being imported) or go Audi (Allroad). My experience with Audi service has been soso and I always felt the power steering on them was excessive. Added on the depreciation factor and the fact that it is still significantly less roomy than the GT. I went with it. The first time I saw the GT a couple of years ago, I told myself, gosh it's big and ugly. It is certainly not svelt but to be honest, it looks better than the X3 or X5. It is more economical at the pump, much better behaved on the road, bigger, more luxurious and about relatively cheap. It was just the right combination for me. Now if the F11 was imported maybe I would have done something different.
2009 Z4 30i Space Gray (retired)
2011 Z4 35is Space Gray
2011 535i GT xDrive Space Gray
Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Wow - it's been almost two years since I initiated this thread....

I think the essential point remains as true today as when I owned my GT - GT owners are independent spirits who are not afraid of blazing their own path, as opposed to being ruled by the opinions of others. F07 owners are true BMW enthusiasts who understand that their GTs are endowed with a robust athleticism, functionality and road presence that is truly unique in BMW's big tent.

I enjoyed my year with my 550iGT and the camaraderie of my FO7 brothers on this forum as we fought for respect, truth, and a new way for BMW.

BTW I betcha the F07 New Year's Eve Diversity Party is still cooler than the staid ol' F10 Conformity Party.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Thoughts on whether the 3GT will help or hinder the 5GT in the long-term? People have such ill-informed preconceived notions. For example, it's a hatchback so it has less rear-seat headroom than the sedan. Way off. A lot of the vitriol comes from people wishing for the touring model. But, they don't seem to recognize that the GT outsells by a long shot those few takers on that model when it was available here. Then, the dealers first only ordered the things fully loaded and people would look at the sticker and say why would I pay that for a 5-series car, and never look further. The dealers often don't even have one people can drive, which is a big turnoff, too. So, the US dealer network shot itself in the foot, where they could sell more, if they had any confidence in themselves and BMW.

Personally, it's the only BMW I find comfortable to get in and out of, and it met my needs for size. I'd still like it if the steering wheel came out another inch, and then it'd be nearly perfect, but it's pretty damn good as it is! I've said it before, while I do like the way it looks, looks is not my primary selection criteria - fit and function are. The first new car I ever bought was a 1971 Citroen...as you can see, looks weren't my first thought there, either! But boy did that thing ride nice on crappy roads, and it was huge inside. Nicest overstuffed lounge chair I ever drove in.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
God is on vacation

Mein Auto: BMW 535 GT
6ft1 and GT go together

6ft1 and GT 535 go together. I would have loved to have my hands on the 550 but with my style of driving even the M5 have a hard time keeping up. Soupped up and chipped I am in happy land.
I gave up a chipped 535xi 2010 and initially was thinking of another 2011/12 until I came to this forum read up on the GT and got hunting.
For tall guys and those slightly on the big side this car has it all, the oomph of the a smaller sedan and the coziness of of the big brother. I did not give 2 hoods to a good friend who found it ugly. I listened intently to a waiter who nudged another whilst I was in a restaurant to go look at that beautiful Beemer out there.

I sincerely want to thank those who take their time to educate me/us on this forum. I love cars but know nothing about their inner "beast".

The BMW 535 GT is my fave ride as is my 2006 SONATA V6, a sleeper, with 185000 miles on it and sounding as good as new

Thanks again to all who contribute, you made it soo much easier for the likes of me.

Baldev
Valley Forge, Pa
Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 ML500
Early mid-40's, professional, analytical type. I've had many different cars in the past, including a 335i coupe that I picked up in Europe back in 2007. I've since sold that car and have been driving a Mercedes SUV for the past 3.5 years. I was ready for a new car and wanted something that combined comfort, performance and practicality. For me, the 5 GT best met these requirements.

Regarding the looks, it's a mixed bag. One of my friends thinks it's the ugliest thing he's ever seen, and yet I occasionally receive compliments on the appearance from perfect strangers. In the end I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks of the appearance, because I like it (a lot) and I'm old enough now that the opinion of others doesn't much concern me.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i GT
We just bought 2010 550i GT CPO with 42k miles. We mostly drove Japanese cars like Lexus and acura. $38k for this beemer was too good to pass on, so we bought it. I love this car. "Ultimate Driving Machine" is not a gimmic. It is TRUE!! It is stylish, has all options that i can imagine and then some, rare, versital, and practical for my wife and 2 babies. I have feeling that this will be the first of many Beemers that we will own eventually. I am a believer.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
spyderdude, congratulations on your new toy and welcome to the GT club. It is good to have another member. Enjoy the ride!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I think one of BMWUSA's problems comes from the original sales plans for the GT. When first introduced in the USA, it was V8 only and X-drive was not available. Then, the first ones sent to most any dealer contained almost all of the available options which priced the thing way up there $90K + was not unusual). Trying to get a 5-series driver to 'upgrade' to a GT meant paying almost (or more, relative to a base 7) as much as a 7-series vehicle. Especially in the NE, where many of the vehicles are X-drive, the dealers got a bad taste of these things won't sell, and not that many of them stock them, or have one on display for people to consider. It takes a well-read person or a random chance for them to sell, thus the reputation.

Personally, of the models available, it's the only one that I fit into comfortably. On all of the others, it's almost impossible to get in without banging my head unless I want to change the way I've been getting into vehicles for the last 60+ years! It meets my needs, I think it looks fine, but then vehicle looks isn't a huge factor when selecting a new car - first, I have to fit, then it must function well with the amenities I've come to expect...the GT meets all of those requirements.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
Jada, in addition to the foolish initial import layout of V8, 550, 2 wheel drive remember it was also only a FOUR SEATER.... a big ass expensive four seater at that..... sale sincreased as did interest once they added in the v6, 5 seats, and x drive... i see more and more of them on the road but still feel part of the more exclusive of bmw clubs driving one...there is little out there that offer the utility, comfort and sportiness of the GT all rolled into one....1 year later and 17K miless and i still love it everyday...

cant say that i wont want a 4 series gran coupe though when they hit the streets... but i certainly doent see owning an x5 as my hauler snow car anymore as long as the GT is available...
mp

2012 GT 550ix Msport clock is ticking

2015 335ix GT Msport (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
Wow - it's been almost two years since I initiated this thread....

I think the essential point remains as true today as when I owned my GT - GT owners are independent spirits who are not afraid of blazing their own path, as opposed to being ruled by the opinions of others. F07 owners are true BMW enthusiasts who understand that their GTs are endowed with a robust athleticism, functionality and road presence that is truly unique in BMW's big tent.

I enjoyed my year with my 550iGT and the camaraderie of my FO7 brothers on this forum as we fought for respect, truth, and a new way for BMW.

BTW I betcha the F07 New Year's Eve Diversity Party is still cooler than the staid ol' F10 Conformity Party.
+1
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)