Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Advice on New X3 Please

My wife and I placed an order for a 2013 X1 today after cross shopping with the Audi Q5 and VW Tiguan. Thanks to this forum I just learned that the 2014's will start production in April so we are going to change the order on Monday to a 2014.

I would appreciate feedback on the options. We are buying this as a second car that my wife will drive 4,000 miles per year. It is designed to complement my sedan. Since my car is leased car we generally drive her car on trips. Our children are now adults and on their own, so children are not a factor. We like the X3, as opposed to a sedan, for many reasons: its a BMW, rides great, 4 wheel drive, large cabin, roof rack can carry 2 bicycles or 1 bicycle on the interior. Being a second vehicle our desire is to keep the cost down as much as possible and still get the esssentials. Like her last car, we intend to keep it for 10+ years.

This what we intend to reorder.
2014 X3 xDrive28i
Black paint, looks great and is cheaper than metallic
Black leatherette
Cold Weather Package
Rearview camera and Park Distance Control
Roof rails

I am contemplating adding the following:
the new 6NS package, Enhanced Bluetooth plus Smartphone integration, currently offered on the 3er sedan, $500 MSRP
Lighting Package which includes Xenon Headlights with Adaptive Light Control

What we do not want is the sunroof because my wife had skin cancer.

I would appreciate your feedback. Do we have the right "biggest bang for the buck options" given our objectives? Is there anything that we are missing?

What are your thoughts on possibly adding:
6NS package, Enhanced Bluetooth plus Smartphone integration
Lighting Package

Thank you in advance for whatever input that you might offer.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 02-10-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 28i
Get the Xenon lights. They are fantastic.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
...What we do want is the sunroof because my wife had skin cancer....Thank you in advance for whatever input that you might offer.
Did you mean "do NOT want"?

I'm at the same age and stage of life and I've probably researched, cross shopped and configured the X3 more than human should. Some out of the box thoughts that weren't obvious (at least to me) at the beginning:

I've done the trips with the two bikes inside my current crossover and don't like it (mess, rattle, suitcase ...). But at the same time, I don't see myself putting them on a roof rack. My X3 would have the tow hitch for a bike rack.

As I understand it, the standard X3 has it's suspension tuned one way while the M-Sport is tuned a little sportier. I found the ride of the X3 M-sport undesirable on the highway. I know you aren't getting the M-Sport package but the DHP package is a way to get (as I understand it) a more comfortable suspension for long trips than the standard X3 suspension tuning. Needs more research.

The Comfort Access Keyless Entry Option is needed to be able to lock and unlock without using the key fob.

The built-in rear window shades are very convenient if grandkids are in the future over the next 10 years.

There's a Convenience package that includes those two items and a couple others if that works for you.

There's the BMW Apps option that you may want to go along with the smartphone integration option.... and the snap in adapters.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Enhanced Bluetooth really isn't necessary unless you want to stream music. Xenons are a must.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 02-10-2013, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
Did you mean "do NOT want"?
Yes, I made a typo. We do not want the sun roof. I have DHP on my 550i and I do not care for it. The DHP comfort setting is too floaty for a BMW in my opinion. Thank you for your response.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 02-10-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Since this is for your wife and you will be driving less than 4K miles per year -- be sure you acquaint yourself with the "time" driven vice mileage driven maintenance requirements. Brake fluid every two years, is one example. I understand that BMW no longer provides "free" oil service after 12 months -- if you have not driven enough to qualify for the normal interval. Personally, I believe this is a mistake and would pay for an oil service myself just to get rid of the acids and gunk from the combustion process and to be sure that there was clean oil in the crankcase. You probably could get away with just draining and replacing the oil -- since the filter would be hardly used at 5K miles. If you can delete the sunroof by all means do it. They have been a continuing problem with the X class since the inception; clogged drains, expensive repairs, continuing leaks and rattles, and so on. I just finished driving a '13MY 3 series service loaner with the 28 engine and I have to say I was impressed! Very smooth, superb gas mileage, and no turbo lag that I felt. I liked the car and the nav system (which I didn't think I would) with the HUD and I will definitely get those on my next car. No, it doesn't have that ripping BMW straight six sound, but it was so quiet inside I didn't miss that at all.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-10-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Since this is for your wife and you will be driving less than 4K miles per year -- be sure you acquaint yourself with the "time" driven vice mileage driven maintenance requirements. Brake fluid every two years, is one example. I understand that BMW no longer provides "free" oil service after 12 months -- if you have not driven enough to qualify for the normal interval. Personally, I believe this is a mistake and would pay for an oil service myself just to get rid of the acids and gunk from the combustion process and to be sure that there was clean oil in the crankcase. You probably could get away with just draining and replacing the oil -- since the filter would be hardly used at 5K miles. If you can delete the sunroof by all means do it. They have been a continuing problem with the X class since the inception; clogged drains, expensive repairs, continuing leaks and rattles, and so on. I just finished driving a '13MY 3 series service loaner with the 28 engine and I have to say I was impressed! Very smooth, superb gas mileage, and no turbo lag that I felt. I liked the car and the nav system (which I didn't think I would) with the HUD and I will definitely get those on my next car. No, it doesn't have that ripping BMW straight six sound, but it was so quiet inside I didn't miss that at all.
BMW still does do the free oil change if you do not hit your service interval within a years time. Mine had 5,500 miles at the one year mark and I brought it in for a free change. OP, Don't let that be a factor in your decision.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Xenon lights are a must. With Xenons and fog lights on the road is so bright I never feel the need to turn high beams on.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: X3 F25 M-sport
ABSOLUTELY get the premium stereo. It is worlds better than the stock, and give far better speakers and amp and head unit that cost far more than the upgrade price. Best upgrade out there for the cost.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: whatever the Mrs doesn't
Completely agree with the premium sound
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
I drove an X3 for two days without the premium stereo...decided to wait for one with the Premium system. Sound without the Premium system seemed muttled and barely any base coming from the speakers.