Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E83 X3 3.0sd, 210kw
Solution: Original E83 X3 Angel Eyes as DRL

When you have facelift X3 with xenon headlamps and original corona rings (angel eyes), it is possible to use Angel Eyes as daytime driving lights.

For that you need:
1) 25w cree LED's, as original bulbs are not bright enough. These you can get for example here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-LED-MARK...19aebd&vxp=mtr These are 2*12,5w bulbs. However, there are other sellers also on the ebay. And could be that in the future even brighter aftermarket LED options will be available.
2) You need something to control the bulbs. As it is not possible to program Angel Eyes on X3 as DRL, only aftermarket solutions are available. Best one I found here: http://www.car-solution.de/en/compon...art/bmw-x3-e83 For controlling Angel Eyes over iBus cheapest "eLight standard for BMW X3 E83" package is suitable. In the description it only states that it allows to use fog lights as DRL, however, in fact it allows to use Angel Eyes also.

For me it was very important that I can run my automatic cornering lights and automatic night time light switching system with the setup. And this is the system that allows it. I have not yet bought the system, however, plan to do it within next 3-4 months.

Here is also the email exchange I had with Car-Solution:

My questions:
----------------
I was looking for a solution to have angel eyes on BMW X3 E83 as day time running lights and found your web page. My car is: BMW E83 X3 from 2007 with 3,0 sd (210kw) engine. I have automatic adaptive xenon headlights along with original angel eyes.

1) Can your eLight module be used with my car?
2) Can it be programmed in the way that it keeps "angel eyes" on without low/high beams when driving?
3) Can it be progammed in the way that during day time I only use angel eyes and when it gets darker bmw original automatic light switching system automatically takes over and turns on rear and front lights?
4) What is the cheapest module that provides this functionality?
-----------------------------

Their reply:
-----------------------------
Hello and thank your for your eMail.

Yes our module can used with you BMW X3.
It can programmed that the angel-eyes goes on when you start your engine or ignition. But the angel-eyes always shine in one brightness.
The daytime-lights goes off when its dark outside. The eLight module works great with your automatic driving light and sensor. The cheapest module is the eLight standard with the daytime-light-option.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
-----------------------------_a_
Advertisement