Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Comparo of X3 vs. Q5 vs. Evoque in current C&D

The current issue of Car & Driver has a comparison of the X3, Q5 and Evoque. All have the 2.0T powertrains. In short, the X3 was number one followed by the Q5 and Evoque. Advantages to the X3 for overall performance but it trailed in the braking test. The testers felt the RFT's had a negative impact. Otherwise strong marks for styling, room and overall capability.

Of course the Evoque won the styling category and FWIW, I would agree.

The MSRP spanned from $45k (Q5), $51k (X3) and $56k (Evoque). However, we all know this is a question of how many option boxes are selected. In general the Q5 would be less expensive.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Now we have to wait for the comparo between the Q5 TDI, X3 Diesel (whenever BMW gets around to sending us one) and the GLK 250 bluetech!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Is X3 getting the 4 cylinder diesel or 6 cylinder or both?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been any announcement for a diesel option in the states.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Henry, from what I gather the X3 will be getting the diesel in late '13 early '14 -- well after the rest of the pack have theirs up and running. I suspect it will be both the 4 and 6 with the 4 being in the cheap version and the 6 in the upscale offering -- as it is now with the gassers. Probably the same 6 as in the X5 too.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i.
Those are the same vehicles I test drove. Loved the interior of the Q5. Loved the Meridian stereo in the Evoque. X3 the best driver car by far (IMHO).
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
One thing I noticed was how small the break rotors are on the Evoque... They look undersized to me based on the x3's brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rr.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	361485  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post
...The testers felt the RFT's had a negative impact. ...
Ignoring styling which is personal opinion, I drove an X3 M Sport and a Q5 Hybrid back to back yesterday. The Q5 is roomier in the front seat. In the back seat, there's more knee room, shoulder room and the Q5 rear seats have better thigh support while the backs are adjustable. The ride of the Q5 was more comfortable yet not any mushier than the X3. In fact, I had a high speed spaghetti bowl in the test and the X3 had more body roll. As the C&D article points out, the X3 road noise was noticably higher.

The advantage of the X3 was the tailgate that can be closed remotely with the FOB or the foot. The Q5's is retarded, you must close it by pushing the button on the liftgate.
Q5's also have normal tires and a spare tire unless you get the Hybrid. That has normal tires and a repair kit. I think an X3 with the DHP package gives you an extraordinary vehicle that can be hard and soft. You have to get a very well equipped V6 Q5 to get that.

The Hybrid is amazing to drive and as powerful as a V6. It gives good controls so you can maximize your energy use. In residential driving, I was getting 29MPG on the dashboard without trying. Another cool thing is that if you are just pulling the car in and out of the garage or tooling around a parking garage, it operates as an EV. Unlike the Lexus RX 450H hybrid, the Q5 hybrid works as an EV cold whereas the Lexus has to warm up before using the electric motor.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
My wife and I cross shopped the 2013 Audi Q5 and the 2013 BMW X3 yesterday as a second family car for her. Both are fine crossover SUVs. I liked both a lot and either would be fine. Our opinions are listed below. I did not include specification type information as it is readily available elsewhere.

Audi Q5

Pros
Interior finish and fit is superb
Front seat feels slightly larger than the X3
Front seats are slightly wider than the X3
Cabin size feels larger than the X3
Audi screen is higher resolution than the X3
Fine ride quality
Base model includes leather seating surfaces
Audi has a long history of 4 wheel drive technology

Cons
Engine performance is adequate but not great in the base model
The front grill was reworked and not improved. From my point of view as an architect it is slightly clumsy, good but not great. The front license in its bracket is clumsy.
The maintenance package is not included. Five year scheduled maintenance is $820 extra plus tax.
Audi does not do dealer holdbacks like BMW so the dealer is somewhat firm on the price. List price $39,745. Negotiated price with hard negotiation: $38,500.
The salesperson saw that I drove a BMW 550i and talked down BMW as a company. I would rather that he stay focused on the benefits of the Q5 and Audi.

BMW X5

Pros
Its a BMW
The ride is absolutely superb. my wife, who is not a car enthusiast, said the ride was a notch better.
The 2.8 turbocharged 4 cylinder engine is superb and more powerful than the Audi
The 8 speed transmission is superb plus.
The front fascia of the car is beautiful and very well done compared to the Q5.
Both wifey and I liked the exterior design better than the Q5. It is just more elegant.
Interior cabin size is adequate but just barely.
Negotiations were easier, due to $900 dealer holdback and existing relationship. MSRP: $41,845. Negotiated price: $39,200. This my third BMW with the dealer and I will do European Delivery again this summer for potentially BMW Number 4 with them.
4 year free maintenance. From prior BMW experience I knew that this covers more than the Audi Care.
The 240 hp X3 with leatherette negotiated price was $700 more than the 211 hp Audi with leather and Audi Care.
The CA, Josh Douglas, at Elmhurst BMW is superb to deal with. Negotiations were informative, low key, and easy. He talked about the benefits of the X3 and did not disparage Audi.
As a past owner of BMWs, I like BMW as a car company. They are a fine, stand up company with great design and engineering that has been great to deal with.
Elmhurst BMW is superb and great to deal with.

Cons
The X3 seats were slightly smaller than the Q5.
The resolution of the iDrive screen is not as high as the Q5.
Interior finishes were fine, but slightly less impressive than the Q5.
It was more expensive than the Q5.
BMW options are expensive and add up quickly.

My wife is a very self-disciplined frugal individual that will keep the SUV 10 years just like her last VW Passat. She reluctantly agreed that even though cost was a factor, that the X3 was superior overall and worth the extra money. This is in comparison the Q5 and the VW Tiguan that we cross shopped. In my mind, while it was close, the BMW X3 was superior in most respects. In design and performance, it was superior in all respects.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired

Last edited by pharding; 02-10-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:52 AM

OK, I am assuming you meant "X3" instead of "X1" and "X3" instead of "X5" in your post. It has been my experience that you can sometimes get the Audi care added to your car in the negotiations. Depending on their sales figures, some Audi dealers are more receptive than others. Audi is "hot" right now, so they are not as interested in dealing as their friends in the BMW stores with a plethora of various discounts at their disposal. Sort of like a Porsche store, you go in and that is the price -- if you don't want it-- well the next five people standing behind you do. There will be better Q5 deals coming down the road as new Q5's with the TDI come in the showrooms to take all the interest away from the others.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
Thank you for pointing out the typos. I fixed them.

Another point that I would like to make is that the competition between Audi and BMW is quite healthy for auto enthusiasts in general. It also forces BMW to continue to work hard and keep pricing their products competitively. My CA claims that BMW regards Audi as their closest competitor. MB is a fine company, but BMW more concerned about Audi as Audi closes the gap and in some cases pulls even or ahead in some product categories. There is no doubt in my mind that Audi makes fine automobiles and SUV/SAV's.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 35i M-Spor
I recently had my 2013 Evoque bought back from Land Rover because it would cut a cylinder when accelerating in the rain. It was a known issue and they told me they have no fix for it yet. It was either "dont drive it in the rain or we can pay 6 months payment til we fix it."

I decided to get a full refund and buy my X3 35i M-Sport which I picked up yesterday. This car is WAY better than the Evoque imo.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrycyao View Post
we have X3 2.0 Diesel for the last few years

135KW and 400nm of torque

plenty of torque at 1800rpm engine
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 AM

Silver in Oz you folks get a bunch of neat stuff that we can only dream about! Forget the funnel spiders and cane toads, you get the Nissan Patrol, Toyota Hilux, Subie Forester and more all in diesel! Not to mention the Holden hot rods and the last place on the planet that still builds the hot 351 Cleveland for its Fords. Good on 'ya mate!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: X3 F25 M-sport
C&D Article Text

Here is a summary, but you need to buy the issue to get all the specs. Admin...pull if not OK, please.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C&D_Test.pdf (72.2 KB, 118 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
This is the MT comparo:
Old 11-03-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
BUMP

Was going through online Car and Driver magazine this evening and came across the article that the OP is referring to. Very favorable review of the X3 28i.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rive28i-page-4

Page 4; summary page:

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i

First place: Suburban Safari.

FEBRUARY 2013 BY DANIEL PUND PHOTOGRAPHY BY MARC URBANO

It's something of an accomplishment for BMW to have come up with an even sillier name for its little ute than Range Rover Evoque. What precisely does "28" mean? And why is it jammed together with all those letters? And, come to think of it, why must xDrive be included in the name if BMW's all-wheel-drive system, which is what "xDrive" refers to, is standard?

The thing is, that's really the only thing that drives us nuts about the X3 with the 2.0T. Like the comparo-winning 328i with which it shares its "TwinPower Turbo" engine, the X3 wins here because of its broad portfolio of talents. It is neither as staid as the Audi nor as juvenile as the Range Rover. Do not take this to mean that the second-generation X3 is a middle-ground Milquetoast. It doesn't slalom as quickly as the Evoque, but it is ultimately the most rewarding to drive. We witnessed this on our evaluation loop, where the BMW's suspension, steering, and throttle responded in the most predictable and progressive fashion.

The X3 delivers a controlled and comfortable ride that gives it the feel of a well-tuned premium sedan. It feels, in short, like a 328i. It's just as quiet inside as the Q5, and the noises that do penetrate the cabin are more pleasant, including a nicely judged engine/exhaust trill.

The BMW's engine is the best of the bunch, too. It produces as much horsepower as the Evoque and more peak torque (delivered at a lower engine speed) than the *others. The X3 is the quickest to 60 mph at 6.2 seconds and is the only one of these three that can break 15.0 seconds through the quarter-mile. This is true even though, at 4194 pounds, it's a bit heavier than the Audi and the Rover. Over 300 miles, the BMW also managed 23 mpg, 1 mpg better than the Evoque and 1 less than the Audi.

The BMW's only real dynamic failing is in the braking department. It took 180 feet to stop from 70 mph, 11 feet longer than the Q5 and 15 longer than the Evoque. It's another example of BMW's recent poor braking performances. The pedal feels fine. In fact, it won the brake-feel category, and its discs are bigger, front and rear, than either of the others'. But the vehicle simply doesn't deliver stops as short as its competitors do. We have to believe that the poor numbers are due to the Goodyear Eagle LS2 mud-and-snow-rated, run-flat tires.

The X3 gives up nothing to the Q5 in terms of practicality for its relatively sporty demeanor. Its back seat was as comfy as the Audi's. Let's not talk about the tight little Evoque here. Outward visibility is the best of the three. The X3 offers an essentially identical amount of cargo space as the Audi. We won't mention the fashion-queen Rover here, either. And the X3 is handsome, if not as stunning as the Evoque.

The X3 is, to our eyes, ideally suited to its intended habitat. But then, our eyes aren't glued to the baby Range Rover. View Photo Gallery

PHOTOS (74)
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 11-03-2013 at 05:43 PM.