Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Llando88 ring a bell?

You know, former moderator of Poli Sci, OT, X3, E46, E90 forums?
Son of a gun! I figured that there were two people in Atlanta with the same sig quote. Welcome back stranger!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
who's our moderator now?
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
who's our moderator now?
Yes.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by BashedBarrique View Post
Yeah, quite the welcome from MMME30W. It's always a nice way to welcome some one by telling them to shut up.
Let me take a moment to respond. I thought initially about PMing this to you, but felt that transparency in this reply would be better.

I regret my initial comment. It was inappropriate and I apologize. I do not, however regret my second comment, suggesting you lurk more and post less. That is my opinion. It is not an insult. I did not suggest you should “shut up”. Clearly we have a difference of opinion, which is fine.

Per the stated terms of use of this site, differences of opinion are not grounds for insulting people. Using dismissive terms, such as referring to them as “Skippy”, or calling them “dips**t”, are anti-ethical to the site ethos of “Bringing the BMW community together.”

I also stated one of the reasons for my comment, in this particular case, was that this point of F30 vs. 328i was covered, at nauseating length, previously, in other recent threads. You stated you did not find the threads. That is understandable, as you have no perspective on the recently history of this web site, having recently joined. For your info, here are a few examples where the F30 vs. E90 debate took place. If you check on these threads, you can see where, although there is some dialogue, there is a lot of negative energy being developed by the hundreds of posts:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652339 (956 posts, thread was locked)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=600922 (168 posts)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=664391 (357 posts)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650815 (351 posts)

and so on.

I also suggested that poking people in the eye, for no apparent reason, will not endear you to the people who participate regularly in this forum. A thread title of “E90 vs. F30: C&D Article Suggests E90 would win comparo” would have been more appropriate, and less insulting, than “In your face F30 drivers!”, especially in a forum community such as this one. I did not find it amusing, and I said so.

Notwithstanding the above, you are free to post whatever you like, within the TOU, including this thread right here.

However: From the perspective of 10 years on bimmerfest, and five BMWs, and 4 years as a mod here, my suggestion is that you can either take the above on board as constructive criticism in future, or not.

My advice is also to grow a thicker skin. Just because someone disagrees with you, doesn’t make them a bad person; they just disagree with you. Respond positively to those that help you, ignore the rest. If you have a serious issue with a post, hit the ‘report’ button, and allow one of the admins or moderators to deal with it.

I mean you no ill will. Good luck with your 325i. I used to have an ‘11 328i, really enjoyed it. We also had a 2007 328iT for about a year. I drove the wheels off a 2003 E46 ZHP before I sold it after 8 years and 100K miles. So I’m familiar with E9x vehicles. Furthermore, my entire post history is free to search if you wish.

You may have the last word, as I don’t plan to comment any further on this topic.

Good day.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
who's our moderator now?
Who would you like to see as the E9x mod?

EDIT: current list of mods:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showgroups.php

So it's still Emission, or up to one of the supers and/or Tim / Mark to deal with issues.

EDIT2: I don't want the job back, not because you all aren't a barrel of laughs, but because I promised Mrs. MMME30W I would not get involved again.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 02-11-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Who would you like to see as the E9x mod?

EDIT: current list of mods:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showgroups.php

So it's still Emission, or up to one of the supers and/or Tim / Mark to deal with issues.

EDIT2: I don't want the job back, not because you all aren't a barrel of laughs, but because I promised Mrs. MMME30W I would not get involved again.
Fess up. John removed you when you changed your "Mein Auto" to "Honda Fit".

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Fess up. John removed you when you changed your "Mein Auto" to "Honda Fit".

But it's super cute!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:57 PM
Ego writing cheques that

It's still Emission? I thought the dips*t had shot his load and moved on! (figuratively speaking)
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Dunno. If so, must be one of the supers looking after the place, I guess.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
If I bought a F30, I would just lie and tell everybody it has a 6.

I've been lying about 4 being 6 for years now. So, no reason to stop at this point.
Hehe. (My favorite post of the day.)
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Dunno. If so, must be one of the supers looking after the place, I guess.
Sorry if you found my thread unworthy, but it seems to have generated four pages of replies.

I understand that I'm the new kid and you probably felt the need to protect your turf. I didn't mean to be rude but I don't like being told to shut up.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Quote:
Sorry if you found my thread unworthy, but it seems to have generated four pages of replies.

I understand that I'm the new kid and you probably felt the need to protect your turf. I didn't mean to be rude but I don't like being told to shut up.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:

There are many other threads that have generated quite a lot of replies. A LOT more than this thread. Let's just say that...uhm....they are not our finest moments.

You know, the most read paper in Germany is "Bild"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 3 series
Quote:
I was reading a November 2012 Car and Driver "comparo" between a 2013 BMW 328i and a 2013 Cadillac ATS. The 328i barely won and in the article I found this remark.

"We're convinced that the E90 would handily win a comparison test against an F30."

Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

Well...the 'poster' appears to be toying with the crowd...

I've had an e46, and an e90...and now an f30 on order (each with the sport suspension). Each car has been a bit different....but fun to drive...and reliable.
I really enjoyed driving the F30...hence I ordered it after driving a number of competitor vehicles....but not the Caddy. (Nothing against Caddies...I'm just not a fan).

C & D can say what they choose. The e90 may perform better than the F30 at the extremes....or by some seconds around Laguna Seca. So What! Few of us go there.
Curiously.. ALL, ALL car mags highly endorse the car...including C&D. And most call it the class leader. BUT ALL OF THIS IS BESIDE THE POINT.

Regardless what this poster says...or anyone else says...you bought the car because you could...and because you like it....and enjoy driving it. And your ego doesn't beg for affirmation from C&D. That's all that counts.

Enjoy the F30...it is a terrific car.

PS: F30 owners...you really should enjoy that Consumer Report has just given the 3 series its highest reliability rating. Icing on the cake.

Last edited by Rover; 03-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post

No doubt about it. Not from here, anyway. The question is (and that article implied it): is F30 a terrific 3 series BMW?

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM
smooth like butter

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i | '14 F15 X5
I'll be damned. Llando88 turned into a feline, is no longer our moderator, and traded in the M3 for a Honda Fit?!

Last time I was active, we lost Emission, and this place was like the Wild West in the aftermath of that "relationship advice" thread that shall not be named, among other golden threads. Now he's the mod again.

I have nothing but respect for you both.

I think I've been away for too long...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Well...the 'poster' appears to be toying with the crowd...

Yeah, Rover I just read that quote in the article and wanted to have some fun with it. As I have said other places in this thread I'm sure the F30 is a fantastic car. It was chosen to the C&D Top Ten list (what is that 22 straight years?) and beat the Caddy in that comparo.

I just wanted to show some E90 pride and stir up a conversation about where the 3 series is heading.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, C230K, 3.2CLS-6
Quote:
Look, it's called sarcasm. It's a form of humor. Something you may have heard of.

If I was really trying to piss off F30 drivers I would have posted it in the F30 forum. I was re-reading my last few C&D's when I stumbled on that quote. I thought it would be of interest to E90 drivers, a group to which I now belong. Although you seem to think that there is some time requirement that I fail to meet.

Thanks for welcoming the "new kid", even if it was delivered with a wedgie.
Thanks for posting that, and Welcome (without qualifiers).
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 330i, C230K, 3.2CLS-6
Quote:

I'm sure it's the best 4 cylinder BMW ever made.

By the way, with sufficient balance shafts and overweight flywheels we can look forward to the 3 cylinder model.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klamalama View Post
I'm sure it's the best 4 cylinder BMW ever made.

By the way, with sufficient balance shafts and overweight flywheels we can look forward to the 3 cylinder model.
He he. Maybe even a one "lung"-er. I must admit I love my N52 inline six and can't really get into the idea of a four banger 3 series, but the legendary 2002 had the M10 4 cyl so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klamalama View Post
Thanks for posting that, and Welcome (without qualifiers).
Thanks for the welcome!

Also the guy that ripped me at the beginning of this thread has since contacted me and he is actually pretty cool. Sometimes people misread the intentions of others especially when they are reading a short post that is meant to be a gentle fun jab, from someone that they don't know.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
While my car was in the shop I was in a loaner 328 with the turbo-4. I have to admit, while it didn't sound very good that thing was pretty punchy! It really moved when you gave it some serious throttle.
This coming from a 2007 335i, so you know what I'm comparing against.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
While my car was in the shop I was in a loaner 328 with the turbo-4. I have to admit, while it didn't sound very good that thing was pretty punchy! It really moved when you gave it some serious throttle.
This coming from a 2007 335i, so you know what I'm comparing against.
BMW and other manufacturers really have little choice but to downsize engines due to tightening CAFE restrictions. I guess it is a good thing that turbo technology has advanced to allow these smaller four cylinders to provide power and economy.

And the more 4 cylinders they sell the more sixes and eights they can build for enthusiasts that are willing to pony up the dough for the higher performance models.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
And the more 4 cylinders they sell the more sixes and eights they can build for enthusiasts that are willing to pony up the dough for the higher performance models.
That used to be the truth, and it still is in certain (narrow variety of) cases. Unfortunately, writing on the wall says "The more 4 cylinders they build AND SELL, the sooner they can start selling 3 cylinders and eliminate 8 altogether. To be followed by elimination of 6."

Not necessarily this is a BAD thing, but I'm sure that's not what you meant as good.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
That used to be the truth, and it still is in certain (narrow variety of) cases. Unfortunately, writing on the wall says "The more 4 cylinders they build AND SELL, the sooner they can start selling 3 cylinders and eliminate 8 altogether. To be followed by elimination of 6."

Not necessarily this is a BAD thing, but I'm sure that's not what you meant as good.
Yeah, I'm afraid that the "green police" are bound and determined to shut down the internal combustion party (whether there is an actual scientifically valid or rational basis for doing so).

The good news is that we are currently in a golden age of performance cars. The 300 hp 335i is relatively underpowered compared to the average Coyote powered, 32 valve, double over head cam, Mustang GT (420 hp) for Chrisakes!

I'm looking forward to collecting an E92 M3, a Boss 302 Mustang, a GTR etc. ... as they get longer in the tooth. There are millions of these babies out there and so long as the Eco-Nazis don't order them crushed I'll be scooping them up on Craigslist to start my automotive orgy.

It's only a matter of time. (Mu ha ha ha!)

I'll be blasting by the eco-pods in my hi-performance iron while they make disgusted faces behind the lifeless controls of their soulless semi-electric appliances.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
I'm looking forward to collecting an E92 M3, a Boss 302 Mustang, a GTR etc. ... as they get longer in the tooth. There are millions of these babies out there and so long as the Eco-Nazis don't order them crushed I'll be scooping them up on Craigslist to start my automotive orgy.
I like the way you think. A "prehistoric" M3 will be at the top of my list as well when they become obsolete during the Eco Revolution.

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast