Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Any remote key not present and initialized during the same session...will no longer lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car (FZV/DWA).

After using the 2nd key for awhile to recharge its battery...when you begin to reintialize them...insert the fully working key first...then within 30 seconds start the 2nd key on STEP 3 where you start pressing/holding the buttons.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-12-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 M54B25
I've got the same problem(( Keys not always starts the engine, but all buttons work well. Don't know what to do((
Old 02-21-2013, 02:40 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 320d
Hi QSilver7,
Thanks for that very very extensive explanation. The weird thing about my second key (I bought off Ebay) is: that I can get it to start the car, but then the master does not start the car anymore.

I did not realize at the beginning that opening the doors and starting were two different function of the key. I just assumed that if the doors open, it will start the car.

I messed around with some of the procedures floating around on the net and I finally got the second key fob I had bought of Ebay to start the car but then the master key would not work. Further more, after driving the car with the second key fob and shutting down the engine, the second key fob would not work/start the car again?? How weird is that is the EWS has to be programmed.

Maybe the second key fob worked because I had just 5 seconds before trying it started the car with the master key?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Yes...there is a 10 second period right after shutting down the engine with a working key, that EWS is temporarily disabled...this means that any key with the correct "cut" (regardless of a working EWS chip or not) can actually start the car if it is inserted into into the ignition.

You can see it mentioned in the the gray-out workshop hint in the pic below:

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535xi & '02 X5
Any way to reprogram the EWS on a 2003 330xi? I've ordered a key on line (mistake), but dealership couldn't get it to work.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 740IL
E38 key transmission 315mhz

I just purchased a new key from the dealer. Key starts the car. they tried to program the lock/unlock buttons but couldn't. Ive been reading the posts and learned of a transmitter in the C pillar. I looked in my C pillar and saw a bunch of wires. What does it look like? What am I looking for? I was also told by the dealer that on the 1999-2000 models, depending on when the car was manufactured and released, the key operates on either a RF signal or IR. How do I know which one it is? Is it possible that the key wont program due to transmitter/receiver module located under the dash?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuckett27 View Post
I just purchased a new key from the dealer. Key starts the car. they tried to program the lock/unlock buttons but couldn't. Ive been reading the posts and learned of a transmitter in the C pillar. I looked in my C pillar and saw a bunch of wires. What does it look like? What am I looking for? I was also told by the dealer that on the 1999-2000 models, depending on when the car was manufactured and released, the key operates on either a RF signal or IR. How do I know which one it is? Is it possible that the key wont program due to transmitter/receiver module located under the dash?

Thanks!
The way to tell the difference between an RF & IR system...is to look at your key. If your key only has 2 buttons on it, then it is the IR key, thus you have the IR system. The RF key has 3 buttons...and also, if you look up your VIN, you will see the option "S876A FUNKFREQUENZ 315 MHZ (Radio frequency 315 MHz)". I'm not sure why your local dealer doesn't know that BMW NA didn't import any e38s to the states with the IR remote key...they were all the RF (315 MHz) keys (for both the old style & new style keys).

Before tearing into your C pillar...have you checked your fuel filler door to see if it is locking with the rest of the car? If not, lock the car with the key (manually in the driver's door lock cylinder) then walk around to the fuel filler door to see if it is locked. If it's not locked...you've come really close to finding the culprit.

The remote lock/unlock won't work if an actuator in the central locking system is not working...and the fuel filler door is part of the central locking system. Check the fuse in the trunk (it's number and position is listed on the back of the battery compartment's pull down door. Pull that fuse to see if it is blown...replace it if it is...then try to reprogram the key. If the fuse blows again, then the actuator is probably the culprit and you can either replace it, or unplug its electrical harness if it doesn't bother you if the fuel filler door never locks.
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-08-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuckett27 View Post
The antenna amplifier related to the remote locking/unlocking system will be labeled FZV and will also say 315MHz or 433MHz on it.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The remote keys have 3 totally independent features that work in conjunction with one another...many owners get confused as to which one does what etc. and often times ascribe programming features for DWA/FZV to the EWS feature of the keys...which is incorrect. EWS programming is totally different than the programming/initalizing procedure for DWA/FZV features.

The remote keys contain:
  • EWS - immobilizing feature that shuts down fuel/spark/ignition until a recognized key (which has an EEPROM chip inside with an individual serial number (ISN) that matches the other EWS components. This feature is self powering (thru induction) and DOES NOT need the battery inside the key to start the car. Neither is it "programmable" by the procedure used to program the other features...it must be synced using proprietary software/hardware to the other EWS components.
  • DWA - anti-theft alarm siren system (requires the use of the battery inside the key)...this feature can be programmed by the owner using the procedure outlined below. This feature also allows the key to be programmed to other BMWs that use the same (RF) radio frequency.
  • FZV/FBZV - central locking system/keyless entry (requires the use of the battery inside the key)...this feature can also be programmed by the owner using the procedure outlined below. This feature also allows the key to be programmed to other BMWs that use the same radio frequency.

If the battery is dead or damaged inside the key...change it (old style key or new style key)...or recharge it (new style key) by inserting it into the ignition and turning the key to at least position 1 for up to 30 hours (if completely discharged). A dead key battery will interrupt the DWA/FZV functions...but the key should still be able to start the car.

If the key won't start the car...then there's an issue with EWS. Programming the key using the DWA/FZV initialization procedure will DO NOTHING to fix this issue. Since your 01 should have the new style remote key...if it's not starting the car, but the key fits the ignition and will turn to the start position...there's probably something wrong with the EEPROM inside the key...or it's out of sync with the other EWS components. You're going to need a dealer's help or find an Indy mech or other BMW owner that has the software/hardware to access the car's communication BUS system.

Here's the instructions I've posted many times on how to reprogram the old & new style remote keys. You MUST follow every instruction to the "T"...start the 2nd & successive remote keys on STEP 3...DO NOT insert the other remotes you're programming into the ignition...if you do, you'll cancel the 1st key's programming:

(EWS EEPROM (transponder chip) location inside the new style key)

(it can take up to 30 hours to fully recharge a completely discharged new style key)
(TIP: hook up battery charger to jump start location in engine bay, insert key & turn to position 1, charge over night)

The diamond shape key will broad cast the remote and the start engine info.

Remove the transponder chip can stop broad casting the start engine info but it will stop the recharge to battery. How about i want to recharge the battery and stop the broad cast start engine info?
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 735i
Seems like we have an expert here. Do you know anything about the 2003 BMW e65 key fob?
The display screen is showing one flashing red bar (it has three bars).
I have no idea how to charge the battery.
If I put the keys and let it in ignition 1, will it drain my car battery overnight?
Please help as I really don't know whether it will last till my replacement battery arrived.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkye77 View Post
Seems like we have an expert here. Do you know anything about the 2003 BMW e65 key fob?
The display screen is showing one flashing red bar (it has three bars).
I have no idea how to charge the battery.
If I put the keys and let it in ignition 1, will it drain my car battery overnight?
Please help as I really don't know whether it will last till my replacement battery arrived.
I'm not familiar with the new style keys used on the e65...but I do have a suggestion if you want to "charge" your key while in the ignition without running your car battery down.

You are correct...if you place the key in the ignition, and turn it to position 1 & leave it that way overnight...you will drain the car battery.

They way to avoid running the car battery down on the generation of BMWs built prior to the e65 would be to connect a battery charger to the jump start posts in the engine bay. I'm going to assume that the e65 has those...if you don't know...check your owners manual for how to jump start the battery...if like previous BMWs...there should be info w/illustration to show the location.

And by battery charger...I'm referring to one that is AC (plugs into an electrical outlet)...not a portable DC jump pack charger...unless it's an AC/DC jump pack that can be plugged into a 110 electrical outlet so that there is a constant charge.
(SOLD)

Old 01-18-2014, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: z3 1.9 M44
sorry if I re-up this very interesting post.

I used the procedure to re-align the E46 key some years ago after battery death, worked like a charm.

Now I have a friend with a issue similar to the one of the 1st post:one working properly (opens, closes, starts the car) and one only opening/closing the car but NOT starting.

the key not starting as said have to be bring to de BMW dealer, and that's a fact.
Mayeb is only a cuoriosity: can BMW effectively "reactivate" the key? Anyone know what they "can" do, and how?
If the key is "banned" or similar, how can they see it?

Last edited by resunoiz; 01-18-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resunoiz View Post
...I have a friend with a issue similar to the one of the 1st post:one working properly (opens, closes, starts the car) and one only opening/closing the car but NOT starting.

the key not starting as said have to be bring to de BMW dealer, and that's a fact.
Mayeb is only a cuoriosity: can BMW effectively "reactivate" the key? Anyone know what they "can" do, and how?
If the key is "banned" or similar, how can they see it?
Which key does your friend have? Or what model/model year BMW does your friend have?

If it is an e46/e39/e38/e53...then the EWS transponder (inside the key) needs to be checked to see if it's still there (if key is older type)...or damaged if (newer type).

A BMW key can have the EWS feature banned or unbanned (if lost/stolen...then found). It can also be re-synced if something electrical or catastrophic happened with the key. This is done by using BMW DIS/GT-1/MoDiC equipment that allows them to communicate with all control modules of the car:

If your friend has the old style key...open it to make sure that the EWS transponder is still inside:

If your friend has the new style key...then it is sealed but may have been dropped/damaged or gotten out of sync with the EWS control module. The BMW dealer can check to make sure that the key & EWS control module are in sync:

(SOLD)

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 AM

key is the 2nd type

the key was not opened or damaged, doesn't show any sign of manomission.

opens/closes regularly with the remote, and if we try to start the car with that "non-working" key leaving the working one attached to it, the car starts: so the problem is only on the transponder (the key blade is correct).

after started the car with this key, if we distance the working one the Idrive shows a warning message like "key not present" or so.

What should we "ask" to the dealer? How can they sync/what have them to use the EWS control module and the key?
They in an elusive way said him that "is broken" without any test. Maybe if he can suggest them what to check, they can do something.

PS: don't know if is the same, he has a 530i E61, not a 7-series!

Last edited by resunoiz; 03-03-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740il
So I towed my 2000 740il that I bought from the auction to the dealer. I needed a key and a battery. $180.00 for the key and $90.00 to install a battery I provided. Then I picked up the car 5 days later and was told, "your key works to unlock doors and starts your car, and for $128.00 we can program it." WTH?? So am I reading the info correct here by following the programing steps I can do it myself??
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740il
Thank you for providing this informative and valuable information!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondarita View Post
So I towed my 2000 740il that I bought from the auction to the dealer. I needed a key and a battery. $180.00 for the key and $90.00 to install a battery I provided. Then I picked up the car 5 days later and was told, "your key works to unlock doors and starts your car, and for $128.00 we can program it." WTH?? So am I reading the info correct here by following the programing steps I can do it myself??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondarita View Post
Thank you for providing this informative and valuable information!
I'm assuming that you got the key(s) programmed okay. The EWS part of the key (immobilizer) is unique and only works with the EWS components that came originally with the car...new keys will need to come from BMW dealership who have already have the spare eeprom transponders that will be used in any additional keys ordered.

The FZV/DWA features of the key (remote lock/unlock & arm/disarm of anti-theft alarm siren system)...can be programmed by any owner as long as the key contains a charged battery. You can even program keys from another BMW (same generation ie e46/e39/e38/e53) to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the car...BUT THE KEY CAN NOT BE MADE TO START THE CAR.
(SOLD)

Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:

PS: don't know if is the same, he has a 530i E61, not a 7-series!
No, the information in this thread doesn't really pertain to the newer generation e61. The e61 uses a different communication BUS and system that can occur when the generation of BMWs moves on. The e46/e39/e38/e53 are now in an older generation of technology. The e90/e60/e65/e70/e71 ushered in new techonolgy that uses the MOST-bus and CAS-bus etc. For instance, the iDrive technology made the communication bus in our generation of BMWs outdated/obsolete.

As posted above...the e38/e39/e46/e53 uses the Can/Diagnostic/I/K/M/P communciation bus as in the chart below:

The e60/e65/e70/e90 has moved forward and uses newer technology

(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-04-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:59 PM

but the particular fact of a key banned is stilla pplicable to E60 i think, right?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
but the particular fact of a key banned is stilla pplicable to E60 i think, right?
Yes...a BMW dealer or someone with the proper software/hardware...can hook up and communicate with the older system or the new CAS system and activate/deactivate lost or stolen keys. This doesn't change the information (ISN on the old style key or 128 bit encryption on the new style CAS key) that's been burned into the DME/ECU and EWS-CM. It just disables the key from working if the key is "banned".

It also sounds like the new CAS system has the same feature where 10 seconds after removing a working key from the ignition, you can start the car with a normally non-working key because there's a brief 10 second window where EWS is deactivated. Or the information from the working key allows starting of the vehicle with a normally non-working key due to the working key's proximity to the Ring Antenna around the ignition that allows the ISN/128 bit encryption to be read from the working key.

I'm not that familiar with CAS (since I don't have a BMW that uses that system). But it appears your non-working key needs to be diagnosed to see why it's not functioning. A BMW dealership has the equipment that will allow it to communicate with the key or EWS which can then reveal if there's an issue with a particular key.

Good luck.
(SOLD)

Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 PM

thanks, very clear your explication!