Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i 5-speed
Cross shopping X3 3.0i and FX35 - questions regarding option packaging

I'm tired of RWD in the snow and the dog scratching the leather seats, so the only logical choice is to get an suv. As it says above, it's between the X3(2004) and Infiniti FX35 (2003), I have driven both and each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The ride quality is close enough in my mind that it doesn't need to be addressed. And, with exception of different engine/exhaust notes, both are equally quiet at speed. I have not yet compared highway passing power. I shouldn't have to shift down a gear to pass a slower vehicle. The FX disappoints in this area and I have not been able to test a 6M X3 going from 60-80mph in 6th gear yet.

Where the FX does shine is value. Infiniti gives you a lot more equipment for your money than BMW does. The FX has a superior sound system, standard leather, dual zone climate control, etc. But I've had two BMWs and I feel they give a nice jack of all trades experience when it comes to driving dynamics.

I won't bother bringing up reliability because the cold truth is that the FX will more likely give it's owner fewer issues than the X3. Like I said, I've had two bimmers already so I am prepared to face that reality.

What I want to know from you guys is how the X3 is packaged together option wise? Specifically regarding the panoramic sunroof...I don't want it on my X3 so what other features, if any, would I have to go without in a vehicle without it?

And if anyone has an 04 or 05 US broshure handy, would you be so kind as to list all the option packages and what is included in them? I'm sure I'm not the only one who will find it useful.

Thanks a million!

Rolling Orgasm-2001 330i 5-speed
116K Premium Package, Sport Package

Old Blue-1986 528e - My first BMW but not my last. Sold with 284k on the clock and still running strong.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 PM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
off topic but a very nice summary is:

if you are a normal/interesting person with friends and a life, you drive an X3
if you are a ***** that has no friends, a fantasy she-she pseudo cool/hero, you drive an FX.

Those are my $0.02 and my sampling is large enough to say the above statement without fear of stereotyping
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Here's mine. The FX series is an excellent performance line with great reliability and a superb interior (the FX50 will run with a Cayenne S of that year). The EX is a bit smaller than the X3 but has a very strong engine and, again, has a well deserved reputation for reliability and performance. That said, both will be smoked by a -- Kia Sportage with a turbo 4~! The performance benchmark keeps moving forward, and the older cars really can't match the new ones.

Last edited by UncleJ; 02-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:42 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
That said, both will be smoked by a -- Kia Sportage with a turbo 4~!
I reviewed the sportage turbo (SX) last year, the performance is good since its much lighter than an X3, but in a straight line, my X3 3.0si didnt lose (yeah, tried that cause like you, I thought it was a serious performer)

The sportage handled really well and the brakes were awesome! Very surprising for a KIA.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 AM

Nice review! Remember though, the OP was discussing the '04 X3 and the '03 FX35 -- and I still believe that both of those could be smoked by the Kia turbo. BTW that was just to show the improvements in cars we have seen over the last 8-10 years. Who would have thunk a Kia would be in that territory back then????
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Nice review! Remember though, the OP was discussing the '04 X3 and the '03 FX35 -- and I still believe that both of those could be smoked by the Kia turbo. BTW that was just to show the improvements in cars we have seen over the last 8-10 years. Who would have thunk a Kia would be in that territory back then????
Thanks UncleJ

yeah, the Koreans have really improved, that is true, and I m acxious to see what will come next. Word has it (i will drive it soon to confirm) that the new Huyndai Santa Fe is brilliant

back to the topic, the FX35 probably came with more gear as standard but overall is not as capable as an X3. It was a bit more reliable but mileage is worse and interior quality was not as good (the design is nice).

I would pick a 3.0 X3 over the FX35 but since they are both used now, its all down to the price you find each one.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM

Just like real estate (location, location, location) with used cars its all about condition, condition, condition -- and price!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
How are you cross shopping a FX and a E83 X3? The X3 seems enormous compared to the FX in terms of cargo capacity and sitting area. That cool swooped roof on the FX has its compromises ...
Old 02-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I know I will get hate mail here but I would struggle to buy an almost 10 year old car...yes it's a nice car but...

1) A solid example of either car is going to be $12-13k.

2) if you are going to finance this will easily be $300 a month (36 months at 10% is $419 a month...you might do better but banks consider cars this old a risk).

3) Monthly amortized repair bills will easily run $100 ($1200 a year).

4) a brand new base model Kia sport age invoice is $19,800...assuming you can get for $500 over invoice out the door including tax your looking at $22k. A 60 month 2% loan is $391.

To me it would be a better deal to get the new car....buts that's me....sure it's not as nice but it will last longer and be cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Plus you will get better fuel mileage and have no repair costs for the life of the warranty. The maintenance cost for the Sportage will be minimal as well, certainly less than either the X3 or FX35 at that stage in their life. The powertrain warranty on the Hyundai and Kia is 10 years and 100K miles. Not bad, and the "normal" warranty is generous as well. From an economic standpoint -- unless you are buying a pristine X3 or FX driven by a maiden aunt -- it makes the most sense to buy new and avoid the (almost certain) headaches of a aging "luxury" car.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
And based on this week's Top Gear review, the Kia Sportage is good at rugby and pretty tough too (along with the Cee'd)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
And based on this week's Top Gear review, the Kia Sportage is good at rugby and pretty tough too (along with the Cee'd)
and in FWD version too!

Still cant believe that they were allowed to DESTROY the pitch! BBC budget...