Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Can I use L7 sub outputs to install better Subs?

Alright folks, just replaced L7 amp today. All speakers are working fine curious to know if its possible to use L7 sub outputs to run after market amp with bigger subs in trunk? I was thinking if I did that I'll save the sub signals by just using the outputs other than using the channels regularly.
Ads by Google
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 04 BMW 745Li E66
That's how I did mine. Works perfectly. I am able to adjust the amount of bass through iDrive.

2004 BMW 745Li e66
22" Beyern Mesh
Eibach Springs
Spacers 20mm Front 30mm Rear
Akebono Brake Pads
JL Audio 500/1 Amp
2 Type R 10" Subwoofers
Old 01-31-2013, 03:40 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Yea. I did mine also

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
thanks for the reply fellows. Should I use a converter like audio control or clean sweep.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr745i View Post
Alright folks, just replaced L7 amp today. All speakers are working fine curious to know if its possible to use L7 sub outputs to run after market amp with bigger subs in trunk? I was thinking if I did that I'll save the sub signals by just using the outputs other than using the channels regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr745i View Post
thanks for the reply fellows. Should I use a converter like audio control or clean sweep.
You can easily do that! Just make sure you take the signal for each sub and lead it to it's own channel. I don't think you should need nor want a cleansweep because that mixes ALL the audio together in one big mess!!

As far as a converter, you may need a Hi-Lo converter (LOC Converter) if your aftermarket amplifier does not accept high voltage input signals.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: White 2002 745I
I used a LOC from bestbuy and it worked perfect. I recommend finding a LOC with a remote signal out.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750 li
I need help with this subs on the car. what subs can I put under the seat to replace the factory subs then I can use a loc to power the new subs under the seat
Old 02-12-2013, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i Sport
Apparently my car had a pretty serious subwoofer system in it prior to me purchasing. This did not come with the car. However, I see in the right side, trunk panel there is additional wiring...not cheap stuff either. I think 0 guage. How do I know if there is still something off the L7 amp to feed the subs. Is there a tell tale sign? What should I look for? I'm looking to possibly upgrade with a single 12" or something. Just to get a little harder hit.

I forget the name of the company, but they have a "kit" which replaces all of our factory speakers....all plug & play. Has anyone used them? Thoughts?

Thanks
Old 02-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Ultimate745i

Mein Auto: 2004 745i
Once I've thought about having my two drawers under my ASK unit removed and modified to hold a regular din head unit and wire amp and speakers up from scratch.
My amp has been shot for about half the time I've owned the vehicle. if I dont get rid of it, I may do something with it this summer.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:09 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Im not sure why some people are bad mouthing the JL audio
Cleansweep ???
Here is my 2 cents
I have it in my car & everything sounds great . I personally
Think it is a good option to go with ...

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Cleansweep ???
Here is my 2 cents
Old 02-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk750 View Post
I need help with this subs on the car. what subs can I put under the seat to replace the factory subs then I can use a loc to power the new subs under the seat
Earthquake QWS series I believe, its there flat woofer line and 8''. It has the bolt pattern for the BMW's for a direct drop in. But just a FYI there are more out there if you favor a particular brand but bolt patterns needs to be modified.

Remember the clean sweep will give you a balance flat signal so you can alter thru your amps so you will have the best quality and signal power, also I believe the llines are pretty close to being balance other than adding a balance line driver.

hope this helps
Nygel

Last edited by Nygel; 02-12-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Cleansweep ???
Here is my 2 cents
The JL cleansweep takes a multi-channel audio signal and sums it up into a Left and Right Signal that's full range. That's certainly not the way real audio should be done. For us, "audio processing" that simulates 5.1 or something with some form of equalization is pretty good, but for a true audio enthusiast, having a front stage with rear filler + subs that properly mesh no matter the music that is played is the ideal goal.

A proper summing and equalization tool should have the ability to output at least 5+ channels of audio (Left front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear, Center, Subwoofer, etc) and have the ability to adjust crossover points along with an equalizer (minimum of 10 bands) (IE 3.sixty or JBL MS8).

Simply summing up everything into left and right is what you'd expect from a kid with a dodge neon who has a cleansweep hooked up to the factory HU, a set of aftermarket speakers and an amp. And what I mean by that is that it's a quick, easy solution for mediocre sound that's better than most economical factory sound systems, but for our cars will sound like crap compared to a properly working L7 system. I believe that so much that I'd be willing to bet that the L7 system from the factory probably sounds better in range and timber than a 7-series with the JL cleansweep hooked up to it with factory speakers.

PAPER, I'm not meaning to bash you or insult you or JL, but the sound I've heard out of cleansweep units vs. other processors in various cars has ALWAYS been sub par and has required a TON of more equipment to make it sound decently better (IE separate equalization unit, new cross-overs, etc)
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM

That may be true to a certain aspect for the high schooler in the parent garage. Now lets look at the audio system in the 7 series.
First you have an ASK unit that supplies four amplified output channels and two digital output channels (fiber network) to a L7 amp that is coded for DSP (Digital Sound Processing). Also lets not forget also that the ASK unit has a muting system built in for the phone,( which when receives signal output is directed to the front two speakers) speech service ( the same signal transfer). The only one that signal transfer different is the PDC which gets directed to there respective corners via input.
L7 amp get 2 fiber signal that powers 1 summed center, a left rear door, a right rear door and two subs.
So in order for digital playback you have to have digital feed, for example fade your speaker to one corner and if you hear every tonal range then it is not digital its analog!!!!
ALso the clean sweep convert the signal flat also which you are correct is considered full range. That is how music is recorded in full range (Flat 0' band width) so that all the tweaking can be done on the playback, also the clean sweep corrects line level which gives both channels the same volume and voltage output.
My opinion is for the cost of the audio system in the 7's its still lacking, due to the amount of issues and the resolution BMW did was to switch manufactures due to the concept.
But I can replace the amplifiers in the car and have a cleaner more defined sound than with the L7.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, 68 Camaro
I've been asking around and pm'd a couple guys on here about how they did theirs and not having any luck on figuring it out. Figured it reply on here
Old 06-25-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 750i Sport
I'd be curious to see a pictures of someons LOC wired in. Or a write up with which wires people spliced.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:11 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670470