Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
What's the roasting date on this?

Roasted coffee beans get oily for 2 reasons:
1. Roasted dark, to the point where the natural oils in the beans start to separate or break down and leak out of the beans. Or,
2. The beans are too old and the oils start breaking and leaning out.

Old oil turns rancid... Tasting bad.

Solution?
Buy medium or light roast. Skip the supermarket coffees. Buy from that espresso bar nearby, they'll have fresh roasts with the date on them, from a good (tasty) source.
I buy locally. They roast every week and have the date stamped. They also sell less dark roasts. I prefer the darker.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
I buy locally. They roast every week and have the date stamped. They also sell less dark roasts. I prefer the darker.
Then you're OK. If it's freshly roasted, that's the most important thing anyway.

As to preferring dark roasts, it's all about your taste preferences. Some like their bread toasted dark, some like it medium toast. Some like well done steak, some like it rare. Whatever one enjoys.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Psychology Reversalist

This is a great video to show what happens during coffee roasting.

Of course, courtesy of Sweet Maria's...

Quote:
We wanted to capture some footage of second crack but ended up with a dramatic shot of a bean blasting out of the paper clip stand it was clamped into. We were also able to capture oil bubbling from a bean as well.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-12-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
best coffee on the planet

That's the poor man's version of Kopi Luwak?

Sorry, YOU will have to Google it.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

And this:

Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
So you're starting to enjoy the more sour / berry notes of your coffee?
I like the acidity and varietal complexities in general. Once in a while I do question if roasting a little more would be better when the sourness is more prevalent, I think this might happen more with the Kilimanjaro Peaberries (which I roast at a lower profile). I think it may have that bit of "green apple" that is sometimes mentioned, but I'm not sure, I don't remember the last time I ate an apple, let alone a green one.

Quote:
We should probably use "first crack" and "second crack" because most people here wouldn't know what 1C means in roasting. Heck, they wouldn't know what first crack and second crack means. But at least they could have a sense of it.

To clarify, it's like when you make popcorn, it pops, making a noise. Same with coffee beans, they pop, crack, making a popping sound. First one, and then a second. So listening to the cracks gives the roaster the indication when to stop the roasting.
Sorry, and thanks for clarifying. But now that's out of the way, I'm going to use 1C and 2C in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
the coffee I buy looks way darker and oilier.
I think that must be the oiliest coffee I've ever seen. Anyway I'm glad it was MW that first replied, because it's pretty darned obvious who is the coffee expert 'round these parts. I have read that once the visible oils are rendered, you've already previously lost some of the lighter volatile oils. This is just my opinion, but I think you should change your taste preferences.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
wooohooo

MW, I realize I have only about a month's worth of coffee left, and I'd like you to preview my order. (Ok, a month is a while, but when I include processing/shipping time, I'm kinda sorta somewhat nearing the threshold of having to order.) I'd like to make my first SM order, and so far this is what I'm throwing in the cart.

Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Regalito - 5 lbs
Peru Organic Lot #16 - 5 lbs
Sulawesi Seletan Peaberry - 2 lbs
Kenya Nyeri Kagumo-ini Peaberry - 2 lbs
Panama Organic Duncan Estate - 5 lbs

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.gree...hp?source=side

$117 total (or $6.16/lb) before shipping. I don't know how different the Huehue varieties can be, but the one(s) I've had in the past I really liked. Same goes for Peru. The 5 lbs orders has more to do with breaking them evenly down to desirable amounts (would do 6 batches of .83 lbs, which I can just about do now, due to my recent disposition towards even lighter roasting). I don't like that 2lbs is broken down to .66, but then again the Kenya has a max limit order of 2lbs anyway, and I'd really like to try a Kenyan. I've had Panama, but have no recollection of what it tastes like, and am going on someone else's recommendation, so that's a bit more of a gamble here, as it is also a little more expensive. Anyway if you think I should change the Panama to the Don K variety, or to select a different Kenya, lemme know.

SM's descriptions don't help me so much, because it seems to me that he makes them all out to be amazing.

Oh, I just looked up what the heck your Ditting was... Ok, I know you like coffee but, this is a commercial level type of thing right? Haha, when I google images for the Ditting KR1203 I also get a pic of my hamburger.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 02-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
MW, I realize I have only about a month's worth of coffee left, and I'd like you to preview my order. (Ok, a month is a while, but when I include processing/shipping time, I'm kinda sorta somewhat nearing the threshold of having to order.) I'd like to make my first SM order, and so far this is what I'm throwing in the cart.

Guatemala Huehuetenango Finca Regalito - 5 lbs
Peru Organic Lot #16 - 5 lbs
Sulawesi Seletan Peaberry - 2 lbs
Kenya Nyeri Kagumo-ini Peaberry - 2 lbs
Panama Organic Duncan Estate - 5 lbs

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.gree...hp?source=side

$117 total (or $6.16/lb) before shipping. I don't know how different the Huehue varieties can be, but the one(s) I've had in the past I really liked. Same goes for Peru. The 5 lbs orders has more to do with breaking them evenly down to desirable amounts (would do 6 batches of .83 lbs, which I can just about do now, due to my recent disposition towards even lighter roasting). I don't like that 2lbs is broken down to .66, but then again the Kenya has a max limit order of 2lbs anyway, and I'd really like to try a Kenyan. I've had Panama, but have no recollection of it tastes like, and am going on someone else's recommendation, so that's a bit more of a gamble here, as it is also a little more expensive. Anyway if you think I should change the Panama to the Don K variety, or to select a different Kenya, lemme know.

I would not pass on the Kenya Gatomboya. I'm drinking it for about 2 months now. Very good.

I don't know what to tell you about the others. They all look good. It's really what gets your interest, based on the flavors descriptions.

SM's descriptions don't help me so much, because it seems to me that he makes them all out to be amazing.

That's Todd. He is very well known and respected for having a VERY good palate. Therefore he is very descriptive. But you know, what he tells you is up there in what you could get out of the bean. With the taste palate of mere mortals like you and I, we would probably not taste all that he tastes (or at least not recognize the subtle flavors that he recognizes). And you will probably not roast as well as he does. Oh well... Part of the game, right?

Oh, I just looked up what the heck your Ditting was... Ok, I know you like coffee but, this is a commercial level type of thing right? Haha, when I google images for the Ditting KR1203 I also get a pic of my hamburger.
Yes it's a commercial level but aside from being very fast and capable of grinding pounds at a time, and do that many times a day, (commercial), it has one of the best if not the best grind quality out there for drip/brew type coffee. Basically everything BUT espresso grind.

For coffees like Turkish, paper filter or metal filter drip, vacuum pot and siphon, French Press, etc. You need the coffee grounds particles to be all at the same size. Because you want them all to brew at the same level. If you have a wide spread of particle size some at the right size, some too small and some too large, the small will over extract (bitter) and the large will under extract (sour/bitter weak fluid). So that will damage the cup. If you have them all at the same size, then you can adjust the grounds size (together with water temperature and dose) to coax the flavors from the coffee.

Espresso grinders on the other hand create TWO particle size. The larger ones and the "fines". So espresso works with two sizes to create the complexity of flavor + the mouth feel. So a dedicated espresso grinder will not excel in making a Turkish or Drip, or Press, but will make espresso better than all the "even particle" grinders.

So I have the Ditting for cupping, Turkish, and Press. And the Compak K10 for espresso.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
wooohooo

Gosh every time I ask you something I learn some neat stuff. I'm going to swap the Kenyan selection, and now I can place a 5 lbs order as well. I will place the order by tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

More tangent(s): I just finished watching Jiro Dreams of Sushi, I'm guessing you've seen it already, but I thought it was quite entertaining. Coincidentally, I dreamed I was making a brandied cherries ice cream dessert last night (I can't recall ever making food in my dreams before, and I hardly ever eat desserts), and now I just can't wait for cherry season to hit, haha, I'm already compiling all sorts of dessert ideas. I'm eventually going to order the KA ice cream attachment (apparently it is less noisy, less wasteful, with a larger capacity than the competing Cuisinart at roughly $20 less, but comes out less silky, flavor being a tossup, if I'm remembering my quick research correctly).

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 02-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Gosh every time I ask you something I learn some neat stuff.

Hehe. OK, geek out time.

This is MARCO UBER PROJECT. What they do is they take a machine that is already on the market, and is considered top notch, and then they improve on it to make it "UBER". In this example, they took the Ditting 805 (80mm flat burrs) and worked on the grinding burrs to redesign and improve, to make them as best as possible.

The burrs are the same burrs for the Ditting 805 and the Mahlkonig Tanzania. These two companies were considered the best grinders manufacturers (for non espresso). Interestingly, Mahlkonig (a German company) bought Ditting (a Swiss company) a few years ago, and now they are sharing a lot of their burrs across similar models.

So here is a graph for the particle distribution of the before and after. Graph is for number of particles x size in microns.

Quote:
The final burrset:
  • Based on a standard Mahlkonig Tanzania/Ditting 805 80mm burrset.
  • Uses magnetic fixings so no screw holes to trap grinds/oils/goo.
  • Custom grind profile for brewed coffee (maximised peak at 750/800 microns)
  • Optimised glass-pearl blasting to retain tightest bell-curve possible.
  • Titanium plated for long life.
  • Awesome!

http://marco.ie/uberproject/?p=451
Notice that the design is trying very hard to make the peak very narrow. Meaning that they are trying their best to create particles at the same size without making too many fragments. But you can see the low number of fragments starting at 20 microns, a little hump at 45 and then on up to 200 microns, and then it starts gradually going up to join the peak.

Those little particles will end up in the cup, making the coffee "cloudy". (especially if you use metal filter for the drip or French Press. The less you have those, the more clean the coffee will be and the taste will be more define. Also, the less of these particles, the less of a taste they can affect (over extract - bitter).

Now look at this:

This is a comparison between the same Mahlkonig Tanzania/Ditting 805, the Mahlkonig Guatemala, and the Baratza Vario espresso grinder.

The first two are drip coffee grinders (also Turkish). Notice how the espresso grinder fails to make the high peak when it is trying to grind at 600-700 microns. Also notice the bigger hump at around 45 microns. Now guess which of the grinders will make a better drip/brew type coffee? It's obvious.

BTW, the Baratza Vario is a $450 grinder. The Tanzania and Guatemala are in the $1700 - $2500 range if I remember correctly (too lazy to check).

Just a note, the Vario is marketed also as an all purpose grinder for a home use. Obviously it will not make brewed coffee as well as the other two. Also, one would hope that at espresso grind size, the bi-modal graph will show a higher peak on the left side.

More info here in the Marco blog: http://marco.ie/uberproject/?p=107

And for comparison, Espresso Grinders particle distribution bi-modal. These are for the Mazzer Robur (best grinder out there), the Mazzer Super Jolly (what Starbucks used to use before they went all automatic machines), and the Macap MDX. All these 3 are commercial grinders. Price wise, the Robur is $2900 - $3500. Super Jollly $700 - $1100. Macap $600.

The Robur produces the best tasting espresso of the three.

The larger particle size for espresso is around 400-500 microns on these graphs.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WET Distribution by vol_1.png
Views:	227
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	363143  

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-20-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
So here is a graph for the particle distribution of the before and after. Graph is for number of particles x size in microns.
Whoa. That is just a little bit of improvement, but I guess that's the type of increment to expect when you're "pushing perfection". Anyway, with my superceded bottom of the barrel refurbised Baratza, would you then recommend that I only grind at the very coarsest setting, perhaps at the expense of wasting coffee, but that I might reduce cloudiness and therefore improve cleanliness? (It is of course at a pretty coarse setting, but not at the absolute coarsest setting.)

As I will place the largest order of beans yet, I started wondering about storage. 70% relative humidity I think was desired IIRC, and where I live it's way lower than that. The author of the SM article (I guess I should presume it was Todd) lives in CO and uses an airtight cooler to store his coffee. (I did wonder about burlap, but for my location this is not what I want, if I understand things correctly.) So the cooler is what I am currently planning on doing at this point. I may need to stop by Costco tonight, so I'll probably browse for one.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Whoa. That is just a little bit of improvement, but I guess that's the type of increment to expect when you're "pushing perfection". Anyway, with my superceded bottom of the barrel refurbised Baratza, would you then recommend that I only grind at the very coarsest setting, perhaps at the expense of wasting coffee, but that I might reduce cloudiness and therefore improve cleanliness? (It is of course at a pretty coarse setting, but not at the absolute coarsest setting.)
Which Baratza do you have?

But no, you can't do that. You need to grind to the method of that you use for brewing.

Here's a pic of the adjusting knob of my Ditting (ignore the brown "rust", this is coffee dust, that is not visible to the naked eye and I was just horrified to see in the picture... ).. Anyway, this is to give you a feel for this. Each number on the knob is x100 in micron. So 6 will be 600 microns.

See that it says 500 microns for Paper Filter. 700 microns for Metal Filter. Etc.

It goes on, 900 for French Press. 100 is Turkish. 300 for Espresso.

So you can't just grind the coarsest. You want the majority of the grounds to be in the size for your brewing method.

BTW, what do you do for brewing?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0469.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	363153  

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
wooohooo

Maestro, grind goes up to 40, I'm about several clicks below that, so guessing 36ish. How did I arrive at that, not sure, arbitrarily is more like it.

It's almost exclusively French press. I also use a vacuum maker every once in a while, but it has become less frequent over time. (Oh, that has a cloth filter, not "glass filter", which I don't even know what that looks like.)

Sorry about that rust! I bet it's just surface rust, I bet a little light rubbing/scrubbing would get it off. I was not long ago wondering about the rust build up on some of my lugnuts on the car, and it all came off real easy, and I'm just better about drying them now.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Maestro, grind goes up to 40, I'm about several clicks below that, so guessing 36ish. How did I arrive at that, not sure, arbitrarily is more like it.

It's almost exclusively French press. I also use a vacuum maker every once in a while, but it has become less frequent over time. (Oh, that has a cloth filter, not "glass filter", which I don't even know what that looks like.)

Sorry about that rust! I bet it's just surface rust, I bet a little light rubbing/scrubbing would get it off. I was not long ago wondering about the rust build up on some of my lugnuts on the car, and it all came off real easy, and I'm just better about drying them now.
Ah no it's not rust. It's coffee dust. It just looks like rust in the picture.

The numbers on the Baratza don't mean anything in particular. Same as on all/most espresso grinders. You could probably try making a capping kind of thing. 3 caps, one at 32, one at 36, one at 40. Compare the taste, aroma, and mouth feel and see which one you like the best. Then fine tune from there.

Just clean your burrs every few months to make sure it grinds clean.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
wooohooo

Quote:
Ah no it's not rust. It's coffee dust. It just looks like rust in the picture.

The numbers on the Baratza don't mean anything in particular. Same as on all/most espresso grinders. You could probably try making a capping kind of thing. 3 caps, one at 32, one at 36, one at 40. Compare the taste, aroma, and mouth feel and see which one you like the best. Then fine tune from there.

Just clean your burrs every few months to make sure it grinds clean.
Thanks. Sorry, I totally missed the little part about it being coffee dust...

I do use a still bristle brush now and then to give it a cleaning, and also occasionally use a packet of Grindz. Would you consider the latter to be a ripoff, or good product? Do you consider using rice as a good method? (I never have white rice here, usually short or long grain brown.)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Thanks. Sorry, I totally missed the little part about it being coffee dust...

I do use a still bristle brush now and then to give it a cleaning, and also occasionally use a packet of Grindz. Would you consider the latter to be a ripoff, or good product? Do you consider using rice as a good method? (I never have white rice here, usually short or long grain brown.)
Steel brush? Too harsh and can ruin your burrs. I'll use a used toothbrush or some other hard bristle brush.

I don't know about Grindz. (Ha! You know it is sold by Mahlkonig?) I think it's good for removing stale old grounds that are sitting around in the grinding chamber maybe, but not for scrapping out gunked grounds - for that you need a brush.

If rice, then it must be the pre-cooked rice, because it is softer. I'm afraid regular rice will dull out your burrs. Personally, I don't use Grindz because I am not sure of their effectiveness, and I don't use any kind of rice because I am afraid to damage the burrs.

I could however find usage for Grindz in the Ditting, just to push and throw out the left over old grounds that are there, since the grinding chamber is very large. But it's just too expensive to just throw around. I often wondered what other kind of beans are soft enough to clean - Garbanzo beans? Dried peas? But I just don't want to take a chance.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
wooohooo

Oops, I meant to type stiFF. It is quite small, the bristles are of black plastic, the handle itself is metal so I try to take a little care with, I'm pretty sure this thing came with the grinder itself. As for the Grindz, I use it rarely, but from what I recall it did a decent job by itself on cleaning the teeth of the burrs. When I use the stuff, it's the only time this grinder ever goes to a fine setting, for a more thorough cleaning, and I think the instructions are to run a little coffee through the machine afterward to help get rid of any remaining Grindz residue from the inside.

I did wonder about the toughness of rice, and as for questioning peas or beans, I can't believe there is a topic related to coffee that you don't know like the back of your hand!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Nah, far from it. And you know about roasting much more than I do.

OK, 'nuf talking, more pictures.

My Kenya Gatomboya espresso roast, 1 last pound left in the freezer. On top is Ethiopian Sedamo Single Origin, roasted for brew, not espresso. That one is also the last 12oz I had. Both are already opened as of this morning. French press from the Ethiopian had a notes of black tea in it after it cooled down a bit.

Espresso...

It's coming... it's comming... it's comming...

Syrupy...

Chocolate... Nice stripping.

Honey...

Is it done? Almost nothing left to extract. Just a couple more seconds...

Done. Tiger strips at above pic end up as tiger spots on the crema.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0459.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	363635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0439.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	363636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0440.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	363637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0441.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	363638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0442.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	363639  

Name:	IMAG0443.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	363640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0444.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	363641  

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-24-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Nah, far from it. And you know about roasting much more than I do.
I would beg to differ!

Quote:
OK, 'nuf talking, more pictures.
I only have one for you, my new cooler to hold the beans. The two bags on the upper side are probably going to be given to my friend, whose friend's grandpa I ordered a bunch of Kona beans from. He sent me those lower grade beans for free as a nice gesture, to practice roasting and what not. My friend will roast them stove top, and I know that's not the right way, but she's not going to buy a roaster, and they are the softest of beans, and she's done this before. I am afraid of how small the beans are, particularly the split shards, making a bit of a burned mess in my roaster.

I also had the drum open up on me in the middle of a roast two batches ago, thankfully it still came out acceptably, even though a small portion of beans were lost, Yrgacheffe. I am much more attentive and deliberate with the clasping of the drum. The drum does seem to get bent or beat up over time, maybe it's the popping beans, sometimes a little wire will break off and poke out, and I'll try to bend that in, so that smaller peaberries won't be flying out. Thankfully the drums are relatively cheap to replace, though I can't remember the exact cost.

I'm awaiting 20 lbs from SM, I changed my order up because of the shipping implications. $9 flat special UPS rate up to 20lbs, or a bit less than double that as USPS up to $18. So I ordered 5 lbs of your Kenya, two different Peruvians, and I think it was the Don K Panama.

Oh, very nice pics BTW. I bet your espressos taste freaking amazing, I'm jealous. I almost stopped for some espresso at a coffee shop the other day, because it's been so long...

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 02-25-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Psychology Reversalist

This is so unfair...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM
wooohooo

I've now tasted the 4 recent additions of the Kenyan, two Peruvians, and the Panama Don K. I liked them all, but maybe the last one the least, which is hard to put in perspective because the others were just so darned good.

Bad lighting for the Kenyan green beans, 5 lbs.

The Panamanian. Commenced cooldown at about 1:45 after the onset of 1C. Forgive the blurriness.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Time to post something new... Had this this morning. Single Origin Honduras. Honduras los Fernandez to be completely accurate and pretentious. LOL. I don't know if Sweet Maria's had this. But it's really good.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Espresso Hunduras 18g - 34.5g - 28s.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	371356  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Anybody wants to buy good coffee, there is again the Don Pachi farm, the famous Geisha veriatal.

2 pounds only $215.82. + shipping.

REGION: Boquete
VARIETAL: Geisha
FARM: Don Pachi Estate
ALTITUDE: 1600 M
FARMER: Francisco Serracin
ROAST: Medium
NOTES: 94 Points from Coffee Review
Roast Dates: June 24th, July 8th, July 22nd

http://www.klatchroasting.com/Produc...ON_PAC_NAT_GEI

Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
wooohooo

I was just looking up my own threads, saw this got bumped without me noticing. Now that is some expensive coffee! Does it come with a geisha?

Anyone on the fence about roasting should go for it. I spend 5 minutes, 10 at the most, per roast, and I only do this once a week. I know when the crack is a minute or two away, go back outside, sit and listen, crack starts, I put on a timer and decide to stop it somewhere between 1:30-2:00 depending on mood or experimentation, while also taking various notes, such as how far into 1C I am, or if it's even been totally cleared. Hit cool, go back inside for a while, fetch the coffee at whatever point I didn't forget about it.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Another reason to drink your coffee black.

http://sprudge.com/malignant-to-murd...ee-poison.html

Schmuck Of The Week: Did This Cancer Doc Poison Her Lover's Coffee?

Quote:
The prognosis? Poison. This dastardly case of coffee n'er-do-wellery comes to us (in fine style) from The Daily Mail:

Ana Maria Gonzalez-Angulo, a breast cancer oncologist at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, was charged last week with aggravated assault against Dr. George Blumenschein, a specialist in lung and head and neck cancers at the institution. The pair were engaged in a 'casual sexual relationship,' according to the complaint filed May 29, when the incident occurred.

On Jan. 27, Ana Gonzalez-Angulo reportedly served Blumenschein coffee that tasted sweet, something he questioned her about because he preferred his coffee black. The 42-year-old woman said she had added Splenda and urged him to drink it, which he did even having a second cup.

Rather than sweetener, Gonzalez-Angulo is accused of mixing ethylene glycol into the coffee. It is a sweet-tasting toxic substance used in antifreeze and medical research.

Gonzalez-Angulo is on paid administrative leave while Blumenschtein's recovering.

Who? Me???

Thanks to our connections in the Texas medical establishment, Sprudge.com has obtained the following exclusive statement* from the aggrieved Dr. Blumenschein:

Quote:
"Of course I immediately noticed the evident sweetness in my cup the round stone fruit tones, the pink lady apple malic acidity, and a caramel quality that rounded out these notes as the coffee cooled. I assumed that all this was due to my coffee's pulp natural processing at origin, as well as the careful development of sugars achieved in the lighter roast profile I prefer. Boy, was I mistaken."

Read the full feature here courtesy of The Daily Mail.

*Dramatization, may not have happened.

Last edited by MatWiz; 08-27-2013 at 07:20 PM.