Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335is Convertible
2004 330i Convertible issues

My wife just bought beautiful steel blue 2004 330 vert with only 24000 miles. Car looks like new. There are two think I found little strange with it. Fist is glove compartment is impossible to stay unlocked. Even when I unlock it with the key turning the key ccw and remove key it will be locked. Only way to open it is with the key in the lock turned left (CCW). In order to remove the key I have to turn it in the middle and that will lock it. Is that normal? Second think is power in the cigaret lighter stays powered even when car is turn off and locked. Is there a way to program it off? Car does not have navigation to view possible options. Yes I did search but nothing turned up. Thank in advance.

Last edited by kosinar; 02-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Did you say a nine year old e46 with only 24K miles??? In other words a dream car!

Not sure on the glove box, but may be the way it is for a vert. Read someone else post that once, but not sure the answer.
How about checking out the owner's manual?

Cigarette lighter stays powered all the time and cannot be programmed different. I know I use mine to power my refrigerator all the time and don't want it to ever shut down.

Come on! If it's that new, how about a few great pics here??
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
My wife just bought beautiful steel blue 2004 330 vert with only 24000 miles. Car looks like new.
Congrats. Great car. Mine is an 02 with 50k and I thought I had low miles.

There are two think I found little strange with it. Fist is glove compartment is impossible to stay unlocked. Even when I unlock it with the key turning the key ccw and remove key it will be locked. Only way to open it is with the key in the lock turned left (CCW). In order to remove the key I have to turn it in the middle and that will lock it. Is that normal?
Nope. Something is wrong. Sometimes it's a little rough getting key out. May need a little lube but beyond that I'm clueless.

Second think is power in the cigaret lighter stays powered even when car is turn off and locked. Is there a way to program it off?
That's how it is on the E46. Not sure if there's a way to program it differently.

Car does not have navigation to view possible options. Yes I did search but nothing turned up
Please don't throw an aftermarket unit in there. Get an iPhone.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci convertible
thats the way the verts are with the glovebox. my best guess is so that if you park it with the top down, you dont have to lock the glovebox/risk forgetting to lock it.

minor annoyance, but i got over it pretty quickly after the initial frustration
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI
Smile

Lock the car and the glove box locks. Unlock the car and it's unlocked. Congrats on the beautiful vert. I have a 2005 with 60,000 miles and it is still good as new. 8 years and total maintenance cost has been $1,300 not counting tires of course and I do my own oil changes.
Does not burn any oil between 7,500 miles oil changes. Have never added oil! $1,300 was for new poly fcbs, new spark plugs, auto trans fluid and filter change, brake fluid change and fuel filter change. Still on original brakes.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: '03 530ia Sport/'05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by natman589 View Post
thats the way the verts are with the glovebox. my best guess is so that if you park it with the top down, you dont have to lock the glovebox/risk forgetting to lock it.

minor annoyance, but i got over it pretty quickly after the initial frustration
Glove box on my wife's 2005 vert (37K miles ) works normally, fits not require the key unless it is locked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App

PM or email to screen name at gmail
Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Glove box on my wife's 2005 vert (37K miles ) works normally, fits not require the key unless it is locked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
hmm well mine works the same as stated by TS, so either BMW changed something, or we got screwed and you got lucky
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
Welcome to an overly complex, under engineered component. Mine did the same thing. It was fixed under warranty years ago, all the dealer did was bent back some pins in the latch as I recall. These latches truly are a PITA. You'll eventually have problem with it refusing to open. Right now mine glovebox is making a terrible screeching sound when I lock with the fob. Do some searching for answers - I haven't taken mine apart yet.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
Oh, one more thing. Another forum, e46fanatics.com there is a convertible-specific forum. Good info there for very owners.

And despite my moaning above, I really enjoy my car, especially on warm summer evenings.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330CI
As jimvedoepro says this is really one of my favorite all time cars. I smile every time I drive it and it's 8 years old! My guess is that I will keep it another 8 years. These forums always seem to be talking about problems but also have great hints on maint and DYIs.
This car is very easy to work on and as for me, no problems in 8 years.
Good luck with the new ride. Enjoy the sunshine! Topless is always best. Make sure you get a wind deflector if it didn't come with one. It will be the single best money you ever spend on the car. Top down, heater on, seats on, and your good to about 40 degrees!
My sweet spot for topless driving is about 50-85 degrees.
Here in the Napa Valley that is most days year round.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325Ci Convertible
The lighter is ALWAYS on... BUT it is extreamly easy to install your own 12V accessory plug or USBs or whatever since the fuse box is right in the glove box.... The top row of fuses which have a few empty spaces are switched on and off with the car...The bottem row of fuses are always on.. Just add a fuse to the top row & run a wire right under the dash & to the center console to where ever you would like to add a new plug OR u can just cut the always hot wire of the lighter plug and splice the new switched wire to it.
I've never used the physical key to lock or unlock the glove box, but the lock & unlock buttons on the key fob lock & unlock the glove box. Comes in handy when I run in a store or something without putting the top up. I throw my radar in the glove box & hit the lock button & know my radar is atleast locked away out of sight.