Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Hopefully
Exclamation Before buying a salvage... 2007 328i 50k miles

Hello everyone! I recently stumbled upon a good deal on a 2007 BMW 328i with only 50k miles, problem being that the car has a salvage title. According to the seller, only and ONLY the side airbag on the passenger side deployed (not the one on the dashboard). My question is if this were to be the case, and that all other airbags happen to be intact; would a simple airbag light reset work in order to return the vehicle to normal functioning of the rest of the airbags? I obviously wouldn't buy the vehicle if the other bags happen to be compromised. The price is below 11k, and I'm aware that only liability insurance would cover it. I've had experience with only one salvage vehicle that was involved in a fender bender and no airbag deployment.
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaji90 View Post
Hello everyone! I recently stumbled upon a good deal on a 2007 BMW 328i with only 50k miles, problem being that the car has a salvage title. According to the seller, only and ONLY the side airbag on the passenger side deployed (not the one on the dashboard). My question is if this were to be the case, and that all other airbags happen to be intact; would a simple airbag light reset work in order to return the vehicle to normal functioning of the rest of the airbags? I obviously wouldn't buy the vehicle if the other bags happen to be compromised. The price is below 11k, and I'm aware that only liability insurance would cover it. I've had experience with only one salvage vehicle that was involved in a fender bender and no airbag deployment.
Do you know what caused the airbag to deploy? I'm also not clear on whether the deployed airbag has been replaced or if it still needs repaired. If it was who did it? If the warning light is illuminated that's an indication whoever performed the repair was unqualified to do so.

I would also thoroughly investigate any claims made by the seller. In such a situation I would want to have some form of indpendent confirmation of their claims. I highly recommend a PPI from a qualified mechanic who specializes in BMW's. It would probably also be a good idea to have a body shop take a look at it as well.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
Quote:
Could you provide more information on the car? (I'm only assuming it was involved in an accident causing an airbag deploy).

Assuming it was involved in an accident, as an EMT, I have done trainings on proper extrication of patients involved in car accidents. Part of those trainings touched on the issue of, if one airbag deploys, there is a possibility the others can go off unless fixed/reset correctly. Is the airbag fixed? If not, you shouldn't drive the car as any of the other airbags in the car could go off. Either way, actually, you shouldn't because the light is still on.
BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
As others have said: why did the airbag deploy? If it was a frontal collision, it's possible the driver's airbag didn't deploy because he was belted and the passenger wasn't, or because it was a right-side hit.

In either case, you must be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the frame rail is not compromised (and they just did a cosmetic fix to the fender/bumper/door). Which means that you need to carefully investigate the crash and subsequent body shop repairs.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
the airbag needs to be replaced or else the SRS system will not reset, and rest of airbags may not function. you cannot reset the light without replacing the airbag
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 02-13-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Airbags sometimes deploy for no reason at all. Nobody knows what an airbag's gonna do.

You know what an airbag's gonna do?

And once deployed, the stain of that suspicious event is forever upon that VIN. Foo....foo! A delicious price for damaged goods is applied - you may buy with confidence.

But, to put your mind at ease, >might< be a good idea to look for hidden damage before you part w/cash!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:38 PM

Just a quick update, the car was hit from the right side. The guy selling the car owns a shop and said he can actually have the airbags replaced and the system reset. I believe these repairs *might* be included in the sale price. However, he did comment on checking out the car and then decide upon if I want to buy it or not. I also looked up a reputable BMW indie shop, not too far from where this guy's shop is. So, hopefully everything checks out and there are no other major issues with the vehicle.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I bought one five years ago claimed to be damaged engine under warranty, repaired by BMW and with salvage title

Bought the car, 2 months later all sort of issues.... found out the car was FLOOD damage hence engine ceased

The lesson I leanrt : DIG DEEPER, don't scratch the surface... find out what the insurance company, ask selelr for permission to ring and find out why !!!
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Are you that desperate to get into a car with unknown history with an apparent accident to boot at the same time? I don't wanna sound like your financial advisor, but I think you are just antsy to burn 11K in your pocket.
My car has been involved in a front end collision, however the impact vector and the speed I was traveling at didn't trigger the airbags deploy.
Well my car has now the lower subframe replaced, passenger side rail replaced, and driver side rail straightened.
I still don't have my car back so I can't tell you if it's been fixed and as good as new, but unfortunately, I don't think it will be as new once I get it.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Are you that desperate to get into a car with unknown history with an apparent accident to boot at the same time? I don't wanna sound like your financial advisor, but I think you are just antsy to burn 11K in your pocket.
My car has been involved in a front end collision, however the impact vector and the speed I was traveling at didn't trigger the airbags deploy.
Well my car has now the lower subframe replaced, passenger side rail replaced, and driver side rail straightened.
I still don't have my car back so I can't tell you if it's been fixed and as good as new, but unfortunately, I don't think it will be as new once I get it.
Not quite, that's why I'm looking as much as possible into it. Why pass up a "fair deal"? The BMW shop I'm thinking about taking it for the PPI has an exhaustive listing of what they check, so they'll be able to see if anything is out of order. As well, when I get to see the car I'll take a snapshot of the VIN. Usually, some insurance companies have their previous listings still up online that show the car's primary damage as well as pictures (just in case the seller does not have these).
Old 02-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Hey, you saw mine at the Lime Rock ride. Except for the fact that the paint in the repaired area isn't orange-peeled, you couldn't have said where the repair ended and the original body started.

Still drives just as nice as when it was new, 15k miles after the accident.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Hey, you saw mine at the Lime Rock ride. Except for the fact that the paint in the repaired area isn't orange-peeled, you couldn't have said where the repair ended and the original body started.

Still drives just as nice as when it was new, 15k miles after the accident.
Zooks, I am not arguing the quality of the repairs, I am pretty sure when I get my car back hopefully tomorrow I will eat my words, we shall see