Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Bluetooth streaming and steering wheel controls works with Pandora, just no song info and you have to switch the mode on the dash.
ED 24.05.2006 X3
ED 27.07.2005 X3
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrowne View Post
Took delivery of my new 328xi sedan a coupel days ago, with the premium sound package. My dealer claims that it is possible to stream bluetooth from an iPhone4 via bluetooth. While my phone works perfectly well receiving and making calls via bluetooth, I cannot find any way to stream audio. Any assistance would be most appreciated.
I just picked up my 2011 328x with idrive yesterday. I found your post and went out into the garage, placed the settings on external device and can play all my music via bluetooth on my iPhone 4. You can adjust the volume and skip or restart tracks but the option to display is not supported. My car was built in December so I am going to get the snap in adapter or he USB / AUX cable, but for now the sound is pretty good as is.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I just picked up my 2011 328x with idrive yesterday. I found your post and went out into the garage, placed the settings on external device and can play all my music via bluetooth on my iPhone 4. You can adjust the volume and skip or restart tracks but the option to display is not supported. My car was built in December so I am going to get the snap in adapter or he USB / AUX cable, but for now the sound is pretty good as is.
The OP issue -as many others- is that Bluetooth Audio does not work with the OEM HU although the module is there. There is no issue with the iDrive.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The OP issue -as many others- is that Bluetooth Audio does not work with the OEM HU although the module is there. There is no issue with the iDrive.
Excuse my ignorance I was just excited to get it to work. I never owned a care with this capability before.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2010-328i Convertible
I'm in a 2010 [pre sept] 328i convertible with iDrive. I have the iPhone4 but I can't figure out how to stream with bluetooth. Does the pre sept 2010 build disqualify me? If not, can someone clue me in on how to do it?

Last edited by jenirose3; 04-18-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i xDrive w/ M-Pac
Does anyone have this working on the IPhone 4 with a 2011 328i car with the stock "professional" stereo (no iDrive)? My phone pairs no problem and the phone functions with no issue. I'm currently using the iPhone docking cord connected to the USB connection in the console for the music. I looked on my phone and I don't see any option to turn on to stream the audio. I have a BT headset that enables audio streaming but it does it automatically when I play music so I have to assume my phone is set properly already. If there an option under the BT settings on the radio I need to enable?

Current Daily Drivers:

2010 BMW 535i xDrive w/ M Package- Carbon Schwartz on Black Leather
**Cobb Stg1 ST Sport v401 TUNE Installed**

2013 Chev Silverado LTZ- Diamond Pearl on Black Leather
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenirose3 View Post
I'm in a 2010 [pre sept] 328i convertible with iDrive. I have the iPhone4 but I can't figure out how to stream with bluetooth. Does the pre sept 2010 build disqualify me? If not, can someone clue me in on how to do it?
iDrive + Combox = Bluetooth streaming = 09/10-on production
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklyn View Post
Does anyone have this working on the IPhone 4 with a 2011 328i car with the stock "professional" stereo (no iDrive)? My phone pairs no problem and the phone functions with no issue. I'm currently using the iPhone docking cord connected to the USB connection in the console for the music. I looked on my phone and I don't see any option to turn on to stream the audio. I have a BT headset that enables audio streaming but it does it automatically when I play music so I have to assume my phone is set properly already. If there an option under the BT settings on the radio I need to enable?
BT streaming doesn't work without iDrive from everything I've read...including on BMW's website when you go to their BT compatibility info.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
I buried a Blackberry BT remote stereo gateway underneath my center console. 3.5mm output to the AUX input and powered via the cigarette lighter in same. So I can thus stream audio via bluetooth from my Android or anything else I want to pair with the BT receiver.

2007 E92 335i Coupe•Premium & Sport package•Electronic countermeasures•Flares•Chaff•Cloaking•20mm Vulcan cannon•Solid rocket boosters•Chobham armour•Titanium cockpit
Old 02-12-2013, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: e60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhoward View Post
I buried a Blackberry BT remote stereo gateway underneath my center console. 3.5mm output to the AUX input and powered via the cigarette lighter in same. So I can thus stream audio via bluetooth from my Android or anything else I want to pair with the BT receiver.
I know this is an old post, but how is the sound quality with that setup? does it sound any different than plugging the phone directly into the aux jack itself?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhoward View Post
...and do you have to turn it on every time you turn on your car? I have a BT adapter plugged into my aux port in my 2010 w/o iDrive (android) and it will connect to both the BMW BT and BT audio through the adapter to stream music. It works great, except I have to open the center console everytime I start the car and turn on the BT adapter.

I'd like to find one that turns on automatically when it is powered.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Jersey Born 'nd Raised

Mein Auto: 2011 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor_ro View Post
i am on the new iDrive and i'm interested in the streaming audio from my iphone 4 via bluetooth also... please do tell!!
It's in your CD/Multimedia settings. Look at external devices. If I'm correct, your phone and iPod (if you have one connected) should show up there. Just click on your phone.

2011 328xi Sedan --- Titanium Silver (Ext.) Black (Int.) --- Fully Loaded
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpradun View Post
...and do you have to turn it on every time you turn on your car? I have a BT adapter plugged into my aux port in my 2010 w/o iDrive (android) and it will connect to both the BMW BT and BT audio through the adapter to stream music. It works great, except I have to open the center console everytime I start the car and turn on the BT adapter.

Well I know it turns on once it gets power, from what i've read elsewhere so you wouldn't have to turn it on each time and it remembers your pairing.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpradun View Post

What BT adapter are you using? Amazon has quite a few listed, but not sure if any turn on automatically for power...still researching.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
What BT adapter are you using? Amazon has quite a few listed, but not sure if any turn on automatically for power...still researching.
the blackberry music gateway supposedly turns on when it receives power from the cars usb port or 12v adapter. I don't have one but i've heard many people say it just turns on and finds your phone as soon as you put your key in and enter radio accessory mode

Last edited by skunkd; 02-13-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
It's the GoGroove BlueSync. It's good (and works while charging at the same time), but it doesn't turn on automatically for power...even when plugged into the USB charger in my car. Even that wouldn't be a problem, except opening my console is not as convenient as other people who have cars with the aux input on the dash.

#firstworldproblems
Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90
I have a '09 E90 with iDrive and I recently boughht a Bb music gateway. Hooked it up in center armrest and it works flawlessly. I was sceptical but figured at $40 what the hell. I have it plugged into the 3.5 mm aux jack and the usb in the center armrest. I believe the usb provides power to the Gateway. It pairs flawlessly via NFC with my EVO 4G and always pairs when I get into the car. The sound is just as good as from an iPod the wife puts in, the one downside is I can't use the steering wheel controls. Oh well, small price to pay IMO. I would recommend the bb gateway, its worth the cost. BTW, I got mine with free shipping from Crackberry.

Good luck and go for it!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM

I just bought the Blackberry Music Gateway. Crackberry has it for $50 + free shipping with a 1.8A USB charger (one open slot and one for the gateway) with code "take15".

I'm on a business trip when it arrives this week, but I'll report back with how it works next weekend.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 323i 6sp
I strongly suggest a jack cable for a number of reasons: inexpensive, better sound quality, longer battery life of the phone.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
****ie

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrow View Post
Perhaps this should be true but in practice I've found there is always noise via AUX. In my car in particular, the Bluetooth connection results in sound much superior to the AUX. Even my wife complained about the quality via AUX.

With a Windows 7 phone and a Zune pass the Bluetooth streaming is the bomb. I have the whole Zune catalog in my car at all times.
I have an 09 e90, and I also had a lot of noise via AUX with my iPhone 4. However, recently changed to iPhone 5, and its as clear as can be. All noise is gone. I also tried the wife's iPhone 4S, same result, noise. Must be a phone issue.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:02 PM

I got to test out the BB Music Gateway. It works really well -- sound quality is good, it automatically turns on when the car is started, my phone (usually) automatically connects, and if it doesn't, I only have to go through my phone to connect it. I never have to re-pair it. My phone will connect to my car for phone/voice and to the BB music gateway for music. I'm very happy.

Using an AUX jack is a moot point to me, as I only listen to music through Slacker radio. They stream through 3G/4G/wifi at 128kbps, so it's not raw/mp3 quality as it is. Plus, the new A2DP bluetooth can stream at near-CD quality (>320kbps), and I can't tell the difference between that and 192/256kbps, anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: Audi
I have this (works the same as the BB Music Gateway).

http://dx.com/p/bluetooth-v2-0-edr-u...e-black-163694

Very satisfied and been using it for 2 months already. I too cannot tell the difference between this bluetooth and the audio cable connection. It connects when the car is started and iPhone 5 detects it and music is played automatically via bluetooth. Only downside is the shipping (one month average from this site).
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
When sound files are imported into an iPod or an iPhone, their original names are lost. The iThing will store them under its own names which are meaningless. See the picture attached. It shows a raw file structure of an iPhone. The files on the right are actual songs, but what they are one can not tell until they are loaded in a media player which, of course, will read the tags and show all the info - Author, Album, Song, etc.
This is only the case when iPod is connected to device or program which the iPod does not support. Years back I ripped all the music off my 5th Gen iPod Classic to my PS3 and that was exactly what I got. Even files that were ripped from a CD into iTunes would give you that. That raw file structure is actually code. It allows the device to more quickly locate the file. Saves the device time and saves the battery as the OS isn't going berserk looking for the file.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonitm View Post
I strongly suggest a jack cable for a number of reasons: inexpensive, better sound quality, longer battery life of the phone.
There's your WWF body slam answer. iPhone's use very little battery life when playing music. The more that beautiful display is on or the chipset sending receiving the more your battery life goes down the drain. Bluetooth is nice. Bluetooth 4.0 is a huge stepping stone but the true power of the tech is a good 5 years off IMO.