Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Xi
ZHP on 04 330xi 6spd manual trans

Has anyone swapped out the stock exhaust system on their 330xi with a ZHP system? Is this a easy swap out - same configuration? I am looking at purchasing a full cat back system, but wanted to make sure I will be able to unbolt existing system and replace with the ZHP....

Thanks!
Nick
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
If you look up your exhaust on realoem.com it says "performance=no" under the parts for your car. I am taking that to mean it won't fit. They are different part numbers (obviously) too and the images unfortunately are the same. Why do you want a ZHP exhaust?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Xi
Yeah, just was looking under my car noticing the differences in the system config.

I recently heard a 3 series with the same 3.0l as mine with a ZHP system and really like the sound - guess it's just my preference....I've heard a couple others on youtube and they just are not me. I want a system that is not overly loud, but slightly more aggressive than stock.

Thanks for the quick reply and reference link, I'll check it out.

-Nick
Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestead'er View Post
Yeah, just was looking under my car noticing the differences in the system config.

I recently heard a 3 series with the same 3.0l as mine with a ZHP system and really like the sound - guess it's just my preference....I've heard a couple others on youtube and they just are not me. I want a system that is not overly loud, but slightly more aggressive than stock.

-Nick
Borla gives a nice deep, rich tone similar to the ZHP`s....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestead'er View Post

-Nick
Reason I asked is because as Bob stated, you have a lot of options for the muffler that would likely be easier and sound better.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
the ZHP sound is only from the muffler? i always thought it was engine + complete exhaust that gave that beautiful sound it makes
i'm getting lots of compliments for how my car sound stands out from all others

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
the ZHP sound is only from the muffler? i always thought it was engine + complete exhaust that gave that beautiful sound it makes
Funny enough, I too got a compliment the other day. The ZHP has a nice mellow undertone in the lower revs. At the top of the tach it just plain sounds "angry" and I love it!

I'd still take a UUC exhaust all day.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Funny enough, I too got a compliment the other day. The ZHP has a nice mellow undertone in the lower revs. At the top of the tach it just plain sounds "angry" and I love it!

I'd still take a UUC exhaust all day.
No headers with a race cat installed somewhere in the line? I can get you a deal on the headers if you'd like.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
I hope I'm not dropping the "santa clause doesn't exist" bomb on you right now but .... it's the same engine the "mortal" 330's have.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
I hope I'm not dropping the "santa clause doesn't exist" bomb on you right now but .... it's the same engine the "mortal" 330's have.
Hotter cams and remapped software for a higher redline means "No....it`s not QUITE the same engine"....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: VW Wabbit
Quote:
Hotter cams and remapped software for a higher redline means "No....it`s not QUITE the same engine"....
I won't argue with you because ... well because you're awesome - but I think it just comes down to definitions and everybody's idea of what that means

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
I won't argue with you because ... well because you're awesome - but I think it just comes down to definitions and everybody's idea of what that means
Everyone knows the ZHP engine is magical. It has loctite pre applied to the oil pump nut for cryin out loud. How can you compare a stock car that amazing difference?

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
No headers with a race cat installed somewhere in the line? I can get you a deal on the headers if you'd like.
countdown started, 2 months till installation and counting

Quote:
u owned a ZHP, u should know better

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Not this yet again. All non-ZHP owners, can't we all just humor them and let them think the M54B30 in a 330i with the Performance Package is the best engine BMW ever made, light years ahead of us mere mortals with our ordinary M54B30s? People get made when you challenge their religious beliefs.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-14-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
I have the performance cams and reflash, as well as an exhaust. Do I qualify for the magical status?

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
I have the performance cams and reflash, as well as an exhaust. Do I qualify for the magical status?
Only if you added the ZHP blinker fluid. However, to the purist, your car would also needed to originally have ZHP air (thought to be a mix of helium and krypton) in the tires, and have this air transfered during each new set of tires. The air won't stay inherit in the tires if the wheels are mounted on a non-ZHP car, and will break down into nitrogen, oxygen, and various trace gases.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Only if you added the ZHP blinker fluid. However, to the purist, your car would also needed to originally have ZHP air (thought to be a mix of helium and krypton) in the tires, and have this air transfered during each new set of tires. The air won't stay inherit in the tires if the wheels are mounted on a non-ZHP car, and will break down into nitrogen, oxygen, and various trace gases.
What is funny is I too suffered from ZHP envy for years while I had the 323, I know how you feel. Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
What is funny is I too suffered from ZHP envy for years while I had the 323, I know how you feel. Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.
this thread is cracking me up

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys 530i View Post
From an engine standpoint if it works for you yes. Those upgrades are valid performance adders. Definitely a great set if mods. IMHO, magical engine tune.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Couldn't care less about the ZHP purist crap. I just don't like it when people mis-inform the masses that there is no difference between the ZHP vs the 330i Sport versions.

As simple as it was to upgrade the a-arms to M3 quality stiffer ball joints, hotter cams, reflashed ECU, M bit parts (body kit, rims, steering wheel), larger exhaust, taller rear diff, higher top speed limiter, and better Sachs shocks/struts. These all are different details that make a huge difference above a 330i Sport. But keep drinking your kool aid telling yourself there's no difference; just don't mis-inform other people.

I actually feel my current setup is better than the stock ZHP but the upgrades were subtle and researched- Koni yellows + Hotchkis sways + custom alignment. It will even make a 330i Sport better than a stock ZHP as long as you upgrade the rear diff and do the hotter cams & ECU remap if you need the extra RPMs n more aggressive powerband.

Either way it all about the details, with the proper informed and proven parts upgrades you can't go wrong.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 PM

i have a friend who owns a Golf 4 GTI M/T with a bigger turbo setup (~240hp), he tried with several stock 330's and beat the crap out of them.
last night i had a go with him and i edged him by 1 car length at end of 3rd, we gave it a go twice for better results, same thing happened.
those 8hp/10tq really give an edge for those non-believers in the ZHP performance