Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
Question Newbie questions

I just got a 13 528xi with Tech and Prem package. I never got a chance to explore the car due to cold weather and busy schedule. Here are some questions for the members:

1. Is there a way to open the fog lights and black out the trim on non M-Sport bumpers?
2. Why does the car have 4 head lights ? Sometimes the horrible yellow lights next to xenons are on and sometimes they are off.
3. Are cornering lights standard on all models ?
4. Why cant the car remember my seat heater settings ?
5. Is there a hack to make the car shut up. I am talking about the gong. I have the cable and Esys and turned off seat belt chime, nav gong.
6. Are there any hidden USB ports ? Cos when I plugin my phone it says USB 3..I am wondering where 1 and 2 are ??

Last edited by cyberbrutus; 02-13-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
2. Why does the car have 4 head lights ? Sometimes the horrible yellow lights next to xenons are on and sometimes they are off.

They are the cornering lights which come on while turn indicator is on, steering wheel is turned or while reversing.

3. Are cornering lights standard on all models ?

Yes.

5. Is there a hack to make the car shut up. I am talking about the gong. I have the cable and Esys and turned off seat belt chime, nav gong.

Yes, Coding.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Do the inner-turning lights really come on when you put your blinkers on? I didn't know that. Even at highway speeds?

From what I've seen, those lights turn on when cornering at low speeds (parking lots, etc. where you need to see if pedestrians and such are walking by you). I never noticed any Bimmer's having them pop on while blinkers were on during normal speeds, though maybe I haven't payed close enough attention.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Do the inner-turning lights really come on when you put your blinkers on? I didn't know that. Even at highway speeds?

From what I've seen, those lights turn on when cornering at low speeds (parking lots, etc. where you need to see if pedestrians and such are walking by you). I never noticed any Bimmer's having them pop on while blinkers were on during normal speeds, though maybe I haven't payed close enough attention.
I doubt they come on at speed when you turn on the turn signal. What I have noticed, while being stopped behind a shiny car or truck (when I can see may car's reflection), the cornering light will come on when you engage the turn signal. However, if you don't roll in about 3 seconds, the light will go off. It will come on again while you're turning. And, they do come on while turning even if you don't use the turn signal.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
What I have noticed, while being stopped behind a shiny car or truck (when I can see may car's reflection), the cornering light will come on when you engage the turn signal.
This is how i found out too..
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

The yellow lights were on only couple of times.. Of course I had the car for less than 3 weeks now.
I park on 6th floor in a ramp and they were on only once in the past 14 days.
And yesterday when I was trying to park my car by taking a sharp turn at slow speed.

I am surprised not many members know about this. Nothing is mentioned in the manual either !
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbrutus View Post
The yellow lights were on only couple of times.. Of course I had the car for less than 3 weeks now.
I park on 6th floor in a ramp and they were on only once in the past 14 days.
And yesterday when I was trying to park my car by taking a sharp turn at slow speed.
They're not "yellow", they're halogen. And, IMO, they're not "horrible", they're great. Of course, cornering light technology has been around since the 60's or before. The operation then may not have been as slick, but they worked nonetheless.

Quote:
I am surprised not many members know about this. Nothing is mentioned in the manual either !
It's in my 2011 5-series owners manual -- maybe check again. (See attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Corner1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	362164  

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-13-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
They're not "yellow", they're halogen. And, IMO, they're not "horrible", they're great. Of course, cornering light technology has been around since the 60's or before. The operation then may not have been as slick, but they worked nonetheless.

I cannot stand halogens and the moment I looked at them, I knew I was going to replace them. Its a personal preference I guess.
I actually thought the xenons would move horizontally like how Audis do and was wondering why there were 4 lamps !

Yup, found it in 2013 manual too. Illustration and explanation on page 210.

Last edited by cyberbrutus; 02-13-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbrutus View Post
I cannot stand halogens and the moment I looked at them, I knew I was going to replace them. Its a personal preference I guess.
I actually thought the xenons would move horizontally like how Audis do and was wondering why there were 4 lamps !

Yup, found it in 2013 manual too. Illustration and explanation on page 210.
There are two parts to the "adaptive lighting". The xenons do swivel as you steer around bends in the road. You have to be in "AUTO" setting for this to happen. To compare, just flick your light control to regular "ON" while driving around turns and you'll see they keep pointing straight ahead. The cornering lights are a separate function, only during sharper turns to add extra lighting. IMO, the halogens for this function work fine -- they light up where you are about to turn. They are only on during these maneuvers, not sure why you would change them out.

Last edited by markl53; 02-14-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:

In my E92 manual, it specifies the speed as well - below 70 km/h. I would think it is the same on F10.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .