Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 2.5 Z4
Unhappy RooF wont go down

Hi Guys

So Was out with my step son with the roof down and all was well. Parked the car, put the roof up , no problem and went to see a movie.

Came out and the roof didn't move at all.

In fact the lights on the pannel didnt event light up.

The windows don't go down when you push the "roof down" switch and I checked the switch in the trunk and it seems fine.

correct me if I am wrong but if the windows dont budge and the lights dont come on when pressing the button, it would possible indicate that its a fuse issue and not a motor issue ?

the windows work fine when using the window controls.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I would look at the fuses for sure. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z3 2.0 I
Same problem had on the Porsche Boxster.
Remove the relay let it loose current for a while and then put it back in.
Hopefully this also works for you.
This sounds funny but it did work. Why it works I don't know.

greetings Guus
Old 02-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Hi guys. An update. Still no luck. I checked the 3 fuses and all look ok.

It's something electrical. Because the light on the switches don't even light up when pressed. Any other ideas ?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
We need some more info. What year is your Z? There are a lot of posts on here about troubleshooting and repairing the soft top motor, but let me send you direct to the expert: Shipkiller
Old 02-08-2013, 08:17 AM

It's a 03 2.5.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sligo-pat View Post
It's a 03 2.5.
Rarely a fuse, probably your soft top motor is dead. They are subject to corrosion from water draining into the soft top drains and the left drain being clogged. Very common problem. Check out the Shipkiller web site I posted above. A BMW dealer will charge you at least $3,000 to replace it and an indy shop probably anywhere from $1,600 to $2,500. DIY and save big bucks, but it will take some skill and determination. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Thanks for that. My question is if its the motor wouldn't the windows still try to go Down or the panel buttons light up on touch. ?

Thanks again
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4M Roadster
I agree with you, if the windows aren't going down and you're not getting any of the typical lights I'd look elsewhere first. Why don't you try disconnecting the battery and seeing if that resets...whatever needs resetting.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Tried that, still nothing.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:26 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
You need dealer intervention, or someone with the BMW INPA software so you can get a good, reliable diagnoses.

Based on the limited information you have provided, sounds like the softtop control module is bad. This is a very rare thing but can happen. The only way to know is to have it checked out. A faulty motor will give you error lights. So too if any of the four Hall Effect switches are faulty or one of the harness's is broken.

PS: SEARCH is your friend....
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Roof won't work

Hi
Trust me, it will not be the fuse.(I've still not found it) As some have said it may be the motor.
I live in Australia. A 6 hour drive to a BMW dealership. Try this if you haven't all ready.
Read your manual, and open and close the roof manually. Sometimes the senors and the computer get all confused and this resets everything. This fault occurs often. I hope that helps.
Good luck.
gymm.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM

gymm,

If you have to do what you propose more than once, then that is indicative of another issue in the softtop. Yes, the problem is intermittent and what you do 'cures' it, but it is not right..... The softtop module seldom, if ever gets 'confused'.

Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
This is a common problem with these cars. The drain holes for the top get clogged and the top motor is soaked in water and shorts out. I had my top motor replaced a couple months ago at my BMW Stealership at a cost of $1.400.00 parts and labor. I will keep a close eye on those drains holes from here on out !
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM

Ok here is the update. It's not the motor , not the modules , not the fuses. Looks like there is a leak from the ram or a hose. The reason the lights on the switch are not showing up and indications at all is that the system is confused as the roof is in a state of limbo.

So it's a 5 hour job to get the roof off to check for the leak and hope its just a hose. The weird thing is that I never saw any oil on the driveway. Could just have been a slow leak.

Will update in a few weeks.

Pat
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 roadster SI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey48 View Post
This is a common problem with these cars. The drain holes for the top get clogged and the top motor is soaked in water and shorts out. I had my top motor replaced a couple months ago at my BMW Stealership at a cost of $1.400.00 parts and labor. I will keep a close eye on those drains holes from here on out !
I'm being quoted $1,800 by my local stealership for the same work (remove soft top, pull hydraulic pump, replace pump, reinstall top).

I'm going to ask for the old pump back, so I can rebuild it for next time.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
Curious to hear the outcome. Never heard of an oil leak causing the roof not work, especially since there is no oil in the rear of the car, of course except diff oil. Maybe is was the hydrolic fluid for the top motor.

Last edited by kalali; 04-25-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: Bmwz4
Hi I am having the same issue but the dealership said you cannot use the BMW fault machine to detect soft top faults.My question is I am. Newby to Z4so can someone tell me where to locate these drain holes to check if they are blocked please? Thanks Aussie
Old 06-26-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
Curious to hear the outcome. Never heard of an oil leak causing the roof not work, especially since there is no oil in the rear of the car, of course except diff oil. Maybe is was the hydrolic fluid for the top motor.
Hydraulic leaks from either faulty O-rings in the hosting cylinders or a pinched hydraulic line are becoming more prevalent as the cars age. There have been numerous individualís that have had hydraulic system issues over the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondac View Post
Hi I am having the same issue but the dealership said you cannot use the BMW fault machine to detect soft top faults.My question is I am. Newby to Z4so can someone tell me where to locate these drain holes to check if they are blocked please? Thanks Aussie
http://www.shipkiller.com/Softtop_Main.html

I cannot stress this enough. There is a whole boat load of information on the Internet on the BMW Z4 Softtop. Use Google and most of your questions will be answered.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: Triumph Spitfire
3 fuses? I could only find one. Is it a change that happened at Face Lift?

Here's what I have, any chance someone can please let me know where the other two are?

Much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box Guide.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	383662  
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Last edited by manana; 06-26-2013 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Image rotation
Old 06-26-2013, 10:32 AM

Three fuses?????

I had to go back and make sure I did not put out the bad info.....
Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: Triumph Spitfire
By your post, I'm guessing you'd agree that there is only one fuse for both the Face Lift and Pre-Face Lift cars? I suspect the 3 fuses was a case of mistaken identity; maybe door locks and windows.
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster
Old 06-27-2013, 02:34 AM

If you look at the schematics, both pre and post facelift cars use only one fuse for the softtop motor: F55