Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I bought some SUPER PLUSH Microfibers yesterday, which I plan to use as the ones that will touch my paint when I wash. I thought the Microfibers I was using before were plush, until I got these.
Ok, please tell us how it goes. Specifically, I am interested in how often you need to wipe it down between washes and how long a wipe down takes. The duster has been pretty quick. If there is a better solution that takes five minutes or less then I will bite.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Ok, please tell us how it goes. Specifically, I am interested in how often you need to wipe it down between washes and how long a wipe down takes. The duster has been pretty quick. If there is a better solution that takes five minutes or less then I will bite.
Unfortunately, there is no solution that takes 5 minutes or less that will not swirl or mar the paint, including the California duster. I can usually QD my entire car in about 10 minutes. Here's the products I use:

Chinchilla Microfiber 2 or 3 is enough for the whole car. Best towels I've come across period.

http://www.autogeek.net/chinchilla-m...ber-cloth.html

Chemical Guys V7 for light dust or dirt

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...y-sealant.html

Optimum-No-Rinse for heavier dirt

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

With the proper products and technique, you will be able to maintain a swirl free paint job in between washes.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 AM
Serious About Shine

Send a message via Yahoo to bighungry618
Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Unfortunately, there is no solution that takes 5 minutes or less that will not swirl or mar the paint, including the California duster. I can usually QD my entire car in about 10 minutes. Here's the products I use:

Chinchilla Microfiber 2 or 3 is enough for the whole car. Best towels I've come across period.

http://www.autogeek.net/chinchilla-m...ber-cloth.html

Chemical Guys V7 for light dust or dirt

http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guy...y-sealant.html

Optimum-No-Rinse for heavier dirt

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

With the proper products and technique, you will be able to maintain a swirl free paint job in between washes.
Can't speak for the towels, as I've never used them, but with the other two products and advice I agree. Never touch your paint with anything dry, including a California Duster.

"IRENE" = 2011 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Dakota, Premium, Cold
Mods:
JB4 Stage 2, Black Grille Surrounds, Black Fender Signal Trim, Body color front / rear reflectors and rear diffuser, DeBadged, 20% LLumar ATR premium tint.
To keep your car looking its very best:
Detailed Image Auto Detailing Supplies
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Miami: I TOTALLY want a Euro plate! Haha. They actually look pretty good on the front, and awesome on the back. On the back, though, it'd unfortunately be a huge Cop magnet, I'd think. Unfortunately, no Opticoat. Reason being it costed almost double of what I had done, and the guy who did my car (not sure about posting rules of people's info so I'll stick to PM for interested recommendations) came really recommended and I didn't wanna chance it this time.
Funny you should say that - yesterday I come out of starbucks and their is a guy taking a picture of my car. When he sees my he say in a thick German accent, "How did you like Germany" to which I just got a HUGE grin on my face and laughed and said - your smile says it all. Sat outside for a few minutes chatting. He has an F10 as well and lives in Munich.

In my 4+ years in CA, i never got a ticket for no front tag. Maybe I was lucky, to me its worth the risk. I will take a picture (front and back) after I have the OptiCoat done. Should be next week.