Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 320i
Power Steering Pressure Line Removal

Hey all!! I'm getting ready to replace my power steering pump and associated lines, reservoir, etc. and have seen that I require the "Assenmacher BMW 5346 Transmission and PS Cooler Line Disconnect Tool". I'm in Canada and it is apparently tricky to get so I'm looking at alternatives ( I have found it but the shipping is the price of the tool!).

My father in law has the "Astro 7892 8pc. Fuel & Transmission Line Disconnect Tool Set" (link here -> http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool.../APT-7892.html) and I'm wondering if it will work.

Does anybody have any experience with this particular set, or know why it will or will not work? Thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Neither eBay or Amazon works for you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X5-AND-3...a1e62e&vxp=mtr
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM

As I said in my post, I have found it but the shipping is prohibitive. If I can use this set I would prefer to save myself the shipping $$$. Anybody know if the BMW 5346 is the ONLY tool that can separate these pressure lines?

FYI, Amazon.com won't ship to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have the part.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Go Hokies!

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Touring 5-speed
Hard to tell from the picture, but I don't think the Astro 7892 tool set will work. From the description is sounds like it's intended for domestics. If you haven't already reviewed it, Starless's DIY in the Wiki has some good pictures of the Assenmacher tool in use to see what you're up against.

I have the Assenmacher widget - it's great and a breeze to use. However, if you're planning on replacing the lines, anyway, who cares if you goon the ends up during removal? I seem to recall a thread or two either here or on Fanatics, where folks have used alternate methods (clamps, screwdrivers?) to move the locking tabs. Difficulty factor is that you have to lean in over the fender to struggle with the connectors.

Last edited by Germane Riposte; 02-13-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardj View Post

FYI, Amazon.com won't ship to Canada and Amazon.ca doesn't have the part.
Yeah, I leave the Canadian facts to others. Hard enough for me to figure all the angles in the lower 48.

Does seem to make Amazon a real bonehead. Why don't they like you guys?
I had a great time at the World's Fair in '86!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Here's my thread describing what I ran into. It also contains some good links as well.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...505&highlight=
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Thanks very much for the reply!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Yeah, I leave the Canadian facts to others. Hard enough for me to figure all the angles in the lower 48.

Does seem to make Amazon a real bonehead. Why don't they like you guys?
I had a great time at the World's Fair in '86!
hahaha, apparently only Amazon.ca will ship to Canada but they have a significantly smaller inventory and less selection. Glad you enjoyed the fair...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobby87 View Post
Here's my thread describing what I ran into. It also contains some good links as well.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...505&highlight=
Thanks for that, didn't find that thread during my search. I'm leaning toward just buying the AST part - I don't want to get stuck half way through this job and your thread just shows that it could be a real PITA. Hopefully if my plastic clip is also broken the combination of the two sets will come in handy.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
The Arch Bishop

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, 1986 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardj View Post
Thanks for that, didn't find that thread during my search. I'm leaning toward just buying the AST part - I don't want to get stuck half way through this job and your thread just shows that it could be a real PITA. Hopefully if my plastic clip is also broken the combination of the two sets will come in handy.
I definitely think this is the right way to go. Those things are anything BUt a quick disconnect when the plastic clips are broken and brittle.