Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i xDrive
Will IOS 6.1.1 help for email?

Any thoughts? Installing it now will have to see.
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
Nope, will not change a thing
Old 02-13-2013, 05:01 PM

Really getting sick of Apple!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Cray

Mein Auto: Porsche Macan S / SD Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos1117 View Post
Really getting sick of Apple!
You mean via iDrive or something? If so it has nothing to do with Apple, it has to do with BMW.

I did what I consider a downgrade to an Android 'cause I got a great deal on it, and I can't even stream music or anything from my phone. My Brother's iPhone connects to my iDrive beautifully when it comes to Media.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:17 PM

That's not my understanding. The issue is email....not text, not streaming audio.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Cray

Not sure then. I don't think I have Email hooked up with my GS3 either so not sure if it even works on this phone. All I know is my Brothers old iPhone 4 was very transparent with my iDrive, while my GS3 is crudely implemented into it. I can't believe I can't even stream audio.

Reason I bring that up is because lots of times these phones mate to the iDrive/etc. in a universal way, i.e if one thing works then others should as well, and if simple things (such as Streaming) don't work, then certain others likely won't as well.

I think the issue has nothing to do with Apple, and all to do with BMW, as that's the case in my particular situation with my phone.
2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign: White/Black (Alcantara/Leather), PDK, 20" RS Spyder's w/ Colored Crests & Summer Tires, Air Suspension w/ PASM, High-Gloss Black Trim, Premium Package, Comfort Lighting, HD Radio, Blacked Out Sidemarkers, Front Tints.

Recents: '13 BMW 535i M Sport: Black/Black, Premium/Tech, Sport Auto, etc. M-B's: '11/10/06 E350 "Sport". '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM

I tend to agree with you that if one thing works you'd expect everything to work. Maybe somebody else will have some thoughts.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Not having email is an Apple thing, not a BMW issue. Apple views it as a safety issue and will not make email available. There is a way around this as there is a glitch in Apples system in which emails show up as SMS, however it is annoying to do every time you get in the car.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:09 AM

Thanks again, ny ranger......you were right the first time about Apple....I tried the work around you documented but it didn't work for me..I'm using exchange mail for work. I also tried my gmail but nothing so far.. Any additional guidance would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535d x drive
As far as I remember, the email will work, but only if the message is received after you do the workaround, which has to be done everytime you start the car. I haven't checked mine lately, and have 6.1 installed on my iPhone 4s.
2014 535d xdrive ED 4/28/14 Glacier silver, Ivory Interior-Soft Close Doors, Ash wood, Harmon Kardon, Cold Package, Driver Assistant and Driver Assistant Plus, Luxury Line, Lighting Package, Luxury Seating Package, Premium Package

Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 520d f10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos1117 View Post
Thanks again, ny ranger......you were right the first time about Apple....I tried the work around you documented but it didn't work for me..I'm using exchange mail for work. I also tried my gmail but nothing so far.. Any additional guidance would be appreciated.
Since you are using Exchange, buy a used Blackberry for the car, and get this. Email and text messages will be read out to you by BMW Text-To-Speach:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-14 14.35.43.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	362202  

Last edited by Mobileum; 02-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
A lot of reports that 6.1 is another battery drain hog.

Beware if you install.

I installed and my battery drained in less than 4 hours. Tracked my particular issue down to an Exchange active sync profile getting corrupted during the update.

But after the install, no noticable improvement with iDrive integration.

Last edited by chuck92116; 02-14-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Update: Nyranger and Art234 the combination of your posts enabled me to get this working for email. I'm actually seeing both exchange mail and my gmail. I think my problem was not waiting long enough before I did the toggles in notifications. So thank you both!!!

This is still a major pain to have to do each time you enter the car but at least I can do it if there is a need like a long trip or such.

Mike
Old 02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
A lot of reports that 6.1 is another battery drain hog.

Beware if you install.

I installed and my battery drained in less than 4 hours. Tracked my particular issue down to an Exchange active sync profile getting corrupted during the update.

But after the install, no noticable improvement with iDrive integration.
I noticed that yesterday after the update... 0% battery after 7hrs at idle with sporadic texts received, no phone calls. But for some reason today is back to normal (83% battery after 5 hrs).
Old 02-14-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Just a day after Microsoft offered workarounds for an iOS 6.1 Exchange syncing bug and said that it was working with Apple on a solution, Apple has announced on its support page (via ZDNet) that it has identified the problem and is working on a fix.

Apple has identified a fix and will make it available in an upcoming software update. In the meantime, you can avoid this bug by not responding to an exception to a recurring event on your iOS device. If you do experience the symptoms described above, disable then reenable the Exchange calendar on your iOS device using the steps below.
Apple details its own workaround until that update is available, advising users to go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" under "Settings," selecting the Exchange account from the accounts list, turning the switch for "Calendars" off, waiting 10 seconds and then turning it back on.

The bug, which caused iOS 6.1 devices to continuously loop when syncing a recurring calendar meeting invitation to Microsoft Exchange, isn't the first bug to stem from the two-week old iOS 6.1. iPhone 4S users were affected by a bug that hampered 3G performance, although that was fixed with Apple's release of iOS 6.1.1 a couple of days ago. There is no timeframe for when the fix for the Exchange bug will be released.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/14/...is-on-the-way/
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Not sure then. I don't think I have Email hooked up with my GS3 either so not sure if it even works on this phone. All I know is my Brothers old iPhone 4 was very transparent with my iDrive, while my GS3 is crudely implemented into it. I can't believe I can't even stream audio.

Reason I bring that up is because lots of times these phones mate to the iDrive/etc. in a universal way, i.e if one thing works then others should as well, and if simple things (such as Streaming) don't work, then certain others likely won't as well.

I think the issue has nothing to do with Apple, and all to do with BMW, as that's the case in my particular situation with my phone.
I have a Galaxy S3 and streaming Audio work beautifully. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but make sure when you sync both phone and audio sync with the car and you're fine, not to mention you must have your audio set for external components.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM
Cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh321 View Post
I have a Galaxy S3 and streaming Audio work beautifully. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but make sure when you sync both phone and audio sync with the car and you're fine, not to mention you must have your audio set for external components.
I tried everything, and called BMW's customer service number via my iDrive, they ran me through it, then confirmed that the GS3 is "not supported" by BMW. It actually "connects" to where it shows that it's ready to stream music, but when I'm at the track selection, it makes it seem as if my phone doesn't have any music to play.

However, she did tell me that there was a "Software Update" available for my car, which might have been able to fix the issue. She said you "Log into your BMW USA account, then go under Bluetooth...." or something like that. Unfortunately I forgot the steps she was saying, but she made it sound like I can literally log into my account with a computer and update some Software like that?

I called again the other day, this time a guy who said he had no idea what I was talking about and didn't know about this purported way of "Updating Software" via my own computer.

Last edited by K-A; 03-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
I'm sorry you're having issues K-A. I've owned the S3 on Sprint since it come out last July and never a moment's issue with bluetooth connectivity or more importantly bt audio connectivity. In fact, I'm a huge internet radio fan and that would have been a deal killer for me not to be able to stream my favorite internet station(s) via my car's audio. And I know for a fact I haven't had any bt software updates. I have a 2011 528 if this helps.

My suggestion would be to completely unpair your phone and start all over. Clear out connection on both the phone and car. Once you pair again, click the phone button/bluetooth and make sure the bt as audio icon shows up. Then click on your external connection and click your phone just to be safe. Occasionally I have to click twice on this option, although not sure why...then bring up your music and see what happens. Again, I have awesome 128k sound and never an issue. Now I will tell you it's music only, no album art work with Android. I think that's strictly an iPhone feature currently.

I hope this helps, but bottom line Galaxy S3 works wonderfully with bluetooth audio. Don't let anyone tech tell you otherwise. Happy to walk you through this if need be. Good Luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM

If you jailbreak your iPhone and download BTNotification enabler from the cydia store, all notifications (including emails) will show up without having to change the number of notifications each time you get in the car. This works very well. Emails still show up as text messages though.