Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Ipsa scientia potestas es

Mein Auto: BMW Cabrio
Wrestling Dropped from the Olympics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/21427455

Quote:
Wrestling has been dropped from the 2020 Games to make way for a new sport.
The International Olympic Committee's executive board made its decision after assessing the performance of all 26 sports at the London Games.

"The news from the IOC is extremely disappointing," said British Wrestling chief executive Colin Nicholson.

There is a slim chance wrestling may win a reprieve when the IOC meets in Buenos Aires in September to ratify its choice.

But it will be vying with seven other sports, among them squash, roller sports and sport climbing, that are hoping for inclusion in the Olympic programme.
Roller sports and sports climbing?

One of the few disciplines at the Olympics that has continued from ancient times. It seems that it is not popular enough with the sponsors though. An awful decision made for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by London Talking; 02-12-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
What's roller sports?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM
O.G.

Mein Auto: 2011 MDX, 2001 330xi
maybe if the wrestling was still nude, and perhaps co-ed?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
What's roller sports?
Sports with wheels, like various forms of bicycling.

Still, the question is "should the Olympics stick with traditional events or transform over time by what's most popular?" The answer seems to be in favor of transformation, as a static event is less likely to survive in the long haul. Sad, but that's life.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................

Last edited by cwsqbm; 02-12-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderm0n View Post
maybe if the wrestling was still nude, and perhaps co-ed?
Female baby oil wrestling.

Would be a sponsorship bonanza.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Olympics should promote sports instead of being marketing dept. of big corporations. There's enough of professional sport on TV, for a change make it about athleticism, competition and national pride, not $$$. Esp. considering it's a once in 4 years event.

Last edited by smyles; 02-12-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Olympics should promote sports instead of being marketing dept. of big corporations. There's enough of professional sport on TV, for a change make it about athleticism, competition and national pride, not $$$. Esp. considering it's a once in 4 years event.
How about shuffleboard? When I was in elementary school, we had that laid out in the asphalt playground.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
"We" don't watch wrestling because they are force feeding us with swimming 24/7. Anecdotal, I know, but just to make the point.

They choose what to show us, and what to block form us, and then they come in with viewing stats.

For me the attraction of watching the Olympic games is to have a chance, once in four years to see sports that I don't get to see otherwise. Like a tasting buffet of food you don't normally eat every day.

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-12-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
"We" don't watch wrestling because they are force feeding us with swimming 24/7. Anecdotal, I know, but just to make the point.

They choose what to show us, and what to block form us, and then they come in with viewing stats.

For me the attraction of watching the Olympic games is to have a chance, once in four years to see sports that I don't get to see otherwise. Like a tasting buffet of food you don't normally eat every day.
100% agree
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
+1. Not only to see such sports, but to see the best in those sports.

I won't be surprised if poker is added eventually...
Old 02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
The only Olympic games anyone watch are what NBC presents, but not before the emotional bios of the American athletes.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Talking View Post
100% agree
agree to all of this....

df
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
I have wrestled with Dan Gable, Ed Banach, and Lou Banach. I do not agree with losing wrestling over all the other ducked up sports they are keeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	loubanach.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	362043   Click image for larger version

Name:	EDlou.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	362044  
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: A car
this is so wrong.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is, 2001 750is
The sad thing is that if you surveyed 100 spectators and had them choose between watching wrestling and anything else that NBC usually covers during the games, I think wrestling would lose.

There needs to be a way to watch ANY event from ANY country for FREE. I'm tired of having to dig around youtube for my table tennis coverage! (Just half kidding there...)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 328i M-sport Coupe
Screw wrestling, when is the he!! is bowling getting in? It has the largest participation percentage of any sport, at least in the US. The wrestling percentage is probably less than .1%. What's the other one that's even worse, jujitsu or judo? I watched that bullsh!t live during the London Games. Freaking moronic, they might as well call it grab the costume of the other dude and hold on until time runs out.

I was in Sydney for the 2000 games and was absolutely gobsmacked by how different (and better) the coverage was from the incredibly lame NBC model.
PCD - December 16, 2009