Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 325i e36 se auto
oh dear. u can try drying them out but i think theyre stuffed my friend. try taking it to a good BMW dealer (hard to find) and get them to have a look and try an get the work done on your insurance. or their insurance.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 x5 4.4
im trying to file an insurance claim. ill find out thursday. guy says if i broke a window and say a tree did it . it would be covered no problem!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325i e36 se auto
ye i'd do that mate, i really would.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: x5
I too have similar problem with my x5 2002 Petrol 3.0. I had a car wash two weeks ago and next morning my car refused to start. I called SOS (Car breakdown) they confirmed battery is flat and need a replacement battery. I even getting 'self leveling intact' warning message.

But what surprises me was, next day when I open the bonnet and start it is getting start as normal. But still have 'self leveling intact' warning message.

Day after that Navi is not coming up. It initially showed msg 'loading maps', then I taken out the maps dvd and put it again, now it is showing msh 'wrong dvd/cd' seems like some NAVI module is gone.

Good, what is f*** with this car. Just a car wash casing so many problems.

Any idea? what is the connection between car start and opening bonnet??

Last edited by Kisu_san; 03-03-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added navi problem
Old 03-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: x5
to end this story I started,
I had to change the battery. Then computer stopped working. I have to take it to BMW dealer to get the faults/computer reset. He show me some 30 or so faults were cleared. I don't know what this means, but I can feel the difference in ride.

Sad part to this story is my DVD satnav is not working. Showing error wrong dvd/cd error. It is the same DVD i had it before and worked fine.

Any clues? what might have went wrong.

By the way, dealer saying I would have kept the ignition on while car wash. I really don't know if thats the cause, even it is, it does not help now.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: X53
Same problem I have
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
hi guys,
I had a similar problem with my air suspension. I changed the HCM and after a while I had the left side going down. replaced, worked fine 4 a while and then I got the rear right going down. replaced, went fine and again the left front side is going down. This time the level sensor on the lefy front wheel has gone crazy. It is reading some strange levels, and sometimes in the -ve.
So I tried replacing the HCU, didnt help. I replaced the level sensor, and still the same. Any body has an idea please help.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Wholeo1955

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 BMW
self level, issues

I had this issue, i changed about 8 fuses, then I had a bag blow, about as loud as an M-80,,,,,,,,please check to see if the area where your spare tire is stowed is not full of water, and then you will have many other issues, as i did,,,,,,,,look all the way down into the spot where that tire is, in that area is all your electronics that control the air ride system, and if its full of water it will corrode most all of those circuits, your must find the drain plug, I removed mine 5 years, it cost me about 4 thousand, it wipped out the compressor, that board that controlled that compressor, along with a few other things, not good to try to imerse that big battery as well, and keep that plug left out and that will not ruin your day ever again .......
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
thanks Wholeo1955

Thanks Wholeo1955 for your reply and concern. I think you are talking about a version with rear air suspension only (i.e. single axle). Because the single axle versions has the heigth control module in the rear next to the pump meanwhile the 2-axle versions of the air suspension ( 2003 models up to 2006) comes in the front under the glove compartment. Moreover, I believe you live in a wet country like UK, meanwhile I am living in one of the dryest countries in the world (Dubai- UAE) where it seldomnly rains. In addition to the fact that I have all the diagnostic tools you can ever think of (Launch X431, CarBrain, GT1, OPPS, ...etc...). Because I sell those tools. You name it, I have it. And my last attemp to figure out what wrong yielded that ther is a CAN Bus error (which could be generated by any other fault or a genuine bus fault), and the left front level sensor is reading like-4325 mm whereas the rest are reading like 25mm to 70mm. Do not tell me to replace the level sensor cause I did and I got the same reading. I also tried to replace the HCM (Heigth control module) and still got the same reading. I guess all is left is the wiring. Or maybe some programming/coding is needed which I do not know of!! So if anybody has more knowledge about this, please help.
By the way the pump is working well, it just tries to levitate the car, works for a few seconds, and then stops again for few seconds, and again untill the battery drains and the car is still down.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:24 PM
BlueTurf

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
30 AMP FUSE fixed mine as well

The below helped me the most. I had an aftermarket stereo and somehow the 30amp fuse (slot 87) in the rear panel got removed. This caused the air pump to deflate.

I replaced the 30 amp fuse the next day and it fixed it immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschecrest View Post
Hi khaledhajj,

I just fixed the SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT issue for my BMW X5 today.
09/14/2010 - My 2002 X5 4.4i has the same message "SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT". All I did is open the rear side panel and replace the very last 30AMP fuse (green color) near the right tail light. After I replaced the fuse, I just turn on the ignition not even turn on the engine. I hear the air pumping immediately and the rear end is rise higher and higher to original. The message is also gone. If you can't tell the fuse is burned or not. Just replace it with a spare fuse in the glove compartment. Hope this help and save you tone of money.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
I had this problem when I brought my used x5..Took it to the dealer exspecting an outrageous exspense. The dealer told me that the car had been sitting for along time and that the suspension just needed reactivated.He said the diagnostic stated I had zero codes. He kinda resset my car and up it went. Didnt cost me anything. Zero problems since
Old 11-17-2012, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschecrest View Post
Hi khaledhajj,

I just fixed the SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT issue for my BMW X5 today.
09/14/2010 - My 2002 X5 4.4i has the same message "SELFLEVEL SUSP. INACT". All I did is open the rear side panel and replace the very last 30AMP fuse (green color) near the right tail light. After I replaced the fuse, I just turn on the ignition not even turn on the engine. I hear the air pumping immediately and the rear end is rise higher and higher to original. The message is also gone. If you can't tell the fuse is burned or not. Just replace it with a spare fuse in the glove compartment. Hope this help and save you tone of money.
Thanks for the information posted, you are correct. As soon as i inspected the fuse i saw it was burn, replace it and in 5sec the truck raise up and is working like a champ. I though it was going to cost me a bunch. Thank you from a Marine
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Yep. Water. Battery box.

I dried out my leveler control and radio. Leveler works. Radio drowned. My chance to upgrade radio to touch screen and USB.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5 D Sport
Self Level Inactive Message

Ive got a 2003 D sport had it to the main dealers to be looked at everythings come back fine they gave the suspension a full bill of health, said there nothing wrong with it but the self level inactive warning keeps comming back on, how do I reset it myself without having BMW rob me again. any ideas, Ive replace fuses in the boot. Ive been driving it and there is no signs of leaks ride height is as it should be just need to get this warning off as its doing my head in now
Old 02-14-2013, 03:35 PM

I am sorry I am not familiar with the "D" model and module location. Just off the top of my head I suspect one of the sensors at the struts/wheels is stuck/dirty. When that happens the computer will lock out the leveler lest the other sensors overcorrect. Lacking that, the only way I know to reset is to have one of the diagnostic kits which will also reset any fault codes. They can be had for between $30 to $750. The cheap one works just fine for me, but you better have some familiarity with VMs to install the software on your computer. Send me a private post if you are interested, and I will dig up the vendor I used.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: X5 D Sport
Had the car sorted now was just the self level sensor that had gone quick fix 150 everythings back to normal and running fine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Bimmer App
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.41s
Lightbulb Self-leveling suspsension inactive X5 2006

I had a similar issue with my newly purchased used 2006 X5 4.4i Sport. The Front Left side was lowered, while the rest of the vehicle was normal. the active suspension light would flash, or not come on at all, and the RIDE WAS HORRIBLE!!! I also had a VERY Sluggish start. I was told I needed new shocks, new alternator, BATTERY, Sensors, you name it.. But all that was needed was a new battery!! Once the battery was replaced the truck had a Normal Start and the 4 corner suspension was now working properly. I did check EVERY fuse beforehand, and replaced them , just in case. I also made sure the bags were not leaking.None were bad... Ultimately, a new battery fixed the entire issue, and I hope you have the same success.. I would suggest this method if you are experiencing similar issues, before spending too much money..
Good Luck
NYC X5 4.4i
www.physipet.com
Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 AM
Yippikayaaaay

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboch348 View Post
Ok i poured water in the sunroof. it came out front drains and rear drains and down inside of rear posts right onto the subwoofer fuse block dvd player amp nav unit and ipod. trickled right down to the battery box. motherf-----r. now after i go to the uconn game i'm gonna take the inside of the ceiling apart and trace the drain gutters. got the kid sersors working again. still have level light on. (not so worried about that) but i need my tunes! now im wondering if it's the radio or amp or both.

sounds like too much work?

Last edited by flyace20; 10-21-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM
Yippikayaaaay

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeboch348 View Post
i see, the drains look like they come out the top of the rear hatch? do the drains break or just clog? i've lived thru lots of these "build faults" like the 75000mi tranny swap for $6000. 3 steering column motors. 3 drivers window motors. 2 alternators, 2 ac pumps, water pump, a navi unit, my rims peeling. and now this! not bad for a $62000 car with 90k easy driving miles? i'm ready to strip it down and part it out and buy a chebby.

I'd say you're having a spot of bad luck there old chap!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:31 AM

It is both

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyace20 View Post
sounds like too much work?
I have/had the exact same problem. In my case the radio unit was in the battery box/sump. So is the level controller. Both are close to the bottom of the box. There is no drain, so the water collects there. I had about 1-2cm water that collected and drowned the radio. That is about $1000 to replace. The corrosion and/or shorting did it in.

I was able to the dry out and resurrect the level controller.

Whenever I see someone with a levelling problem I always look for a radio problem, as well. They very often go hand in hand.

I tossed the radio and got an aftermarket radio with everything in it for less than $400. Just the touchscreen alone made it worth it.

Let me know if you have other questions. Having been through it I might be able to remember enough to walk you through repair and reconstitution.

Makes you wonder why BMW would put a radio in a box where water cannot drain and has battery acid that will combine with the water and eat up whatever is there in no time, does/t it? Idiots.

Good luck!