Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Zeichen311's Avatar
Zeichen311 Zeichen311 is online now
Lost but making good time
Location: Here, there or in transit
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,476
Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The best bet is to cover all the bases and have a 3 a 7 a Rolex and Patek Philippe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
L328 plus Rolex when BJ is with the wife, and 7 plus Patek when with the mistress. Or should it be the other way around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I have a 3, a P-Car, a Rolex and a Patek Philippe. Does that qualify?

This is great fun. I have to ask: What do we pair with a Caddy ATS?
__________________
2011 335xi Individual 6MT - Azurite Black Metallic / Oyster & Black / Anthracite Maple + all the good stuff

   N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,045
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post

This is great fun. I have to ask: What do we pair with a Caddy ATS?
BJ seems to be busy tonight so I thought I would help him out.



CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 PM
CE750Jockey's Avatar
CE750Jockey CE750Jockey is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 376
Mein Auto: '13 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BJ seems to be busy tonight so I thought I would help him out.



CA
Perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:00 PM
bmw_or_audi bmw_or_audi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 898
Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
The average sport Rolex models now list over $12,000. That's hardly mass market pricing.
In today's America, if it is not six figures, then it is merely for the bourgeoisie.

Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 14,045
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix




Edit:

After I posted this I remembered that last summer I was walking by the Ferrari Showroom in Park Ave. and there were several Ferraris parked on the street and roped off. There were security guards and a lot of photographers. I asked what was going on and was told it was a promotional event for a watch company. I don't remember which watch manufacturer it was although I know it was not Girard Perregaux who at one time made "Official" Ferrari watches,

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 01-04-2013, 08:51 PM
SilverX3's Avatar
SilverX3 SilverX3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Australia
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,125
Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
suddenly ....the thread is becoming a watch and car thread
__________________
Residence - StarTrek Enterprise
Job - Captain
Current Starship Fleet:
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,599
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Very emtertaining thread. Thanks to all for such a diversity of views.
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 AM
sle39lvr sle39lvr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: 08 E90
As the OP, I got one more thing to state:

I love how the F30 looks. May be not the nose, but rest of the car is beautiful in comparison to E90.

However, the interior, I really can't take seriously. It just looks way too 'utilitarian' to me. This is how we dreamed of Honda Civic interiors would look in the future from back in the day. Even with the new 4 series concept, no matter how much I lust after the exterior design, I can't believe they did such an interior design for F30 series.



There is so much cost cutting in the material. I cant believe they used hard materiel, just as you would find them on a Corolla just under the HVAC controls. Same with the center console sides, that's somewhere that you bound to touch more than one would think. I hated the E90 interior design first, but when you live with it for awhile, you realize that the material is high quality (at least comparatively) but only the textures that they used made the material look cheaper.

Some design elements have hard joints where two materials meet and they just look abrupt to me. (Notice the purple arrow). Every time I drive over a bump, I am always checking to see if that joint moves.... just small petpeeves. Bangle wouldn't have done it that way, no matter how much I despite him.
Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:36 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Those points you called out, I don't see them being done in anything other than plastic. Same points I remember being hard plastic in the e90 as well. Those are not touch points, so I don't see the point of taking money and putting soft touch materials there. Bangle would have nothing to do with it either, he was more in charge of he exterior.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Edb5020 Edb5020 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 422
Mein Auto: 13' 328i Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Those points you called out, I don't see them being done in anything other than plastic. Same points I remember being hard plastic in the e90 as well. Those are not touch points, so I don't see the point of taking money and putting soft touch materials there. Bangle would have nothing to do with it either, he was more in charge of he exterior.
Those are absolutely touch points. The E90 has soft touch materials there.
__________________
Current - F30 328i X-Drive AW/Beige/Lighting Pack/Premium/Cold Weather/Enhanced Bluetooth
(Retired)2011 BMW 328i X-drive~ Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
(Retired): 2008 328xi Step | Titanium Silver Metallic/Black Leather| Premium | Cold |Xenons|Burl Walnut|
Reply With Quote
  #361  
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb5020 View Post
Those are absolutely touch points. The E90 has soft touch materials there.
Underneath the e-brake and under all the HVAC are traditionally not referred to as touch points.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM
everettpa1 everettpa1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Interior is great overall. The worst thing is the glove box. That is a clunky piece of ...

But everytime I open or close the doors and here that thunk, it's all good.

Lighting, ergo, seats, center stack, are well designed.
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM
SamS's Avatar
SamS SamS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 792
Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
Some design elements have hard joints where two materials meet and they just look abrupt to me. (Notice the purple arrow).
I came from an E92. That transition (purple arrow) is the only sore spot on the F30 interior design. Other BMWs (and brands) are much smoother in transition.
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I came from an E92. That transition (purple arrow) is the only sore spot on the F30 interior design. Other BMWs (and brands) are much smoother in transition.
I agree on that too. The body gaps look a bit big to me too as I was looking at the doors today.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Underneath the e-brake and under all the HVAC are traditionally not referred to as touch points.
I thought touch points are mostly on the passenger side.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I thought touch points are mostly on the passenger side.
Most touch points are more driver centric, i.e. the steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake. When I was a kid and had a crappy car, these were things I would upgrade. So I would have an old GM car with a plastic fantastic interior but with a nice leather Momo knob, steering wheel, pedals, and e-brake handle.

LOL, my first car! Luckily I grew out of my "ricey" phase.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:15 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,790
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
As the OP, I got one more thing to state:

I love how the F30 looks. May be not the nose, but rest of the car is beautiful in comparison to E90.

However, the interior, I really can't take seriously. It just looks way too 'utilitarian' to me. This is how we dreamed of Honda Civic interiors would look in the future from back in the day. Even with the new 4 series concept, no matter how much I lust after the exterior design, I can't believe they did such an interior design for F30 series.

There is so much cost cutting in the material. I cant believe they used hard materiel, just as you would find them on a Corolla just under the HVAC controls. Same with the center console sides, that's somewhere that you bound to touch more than one would think. I hated the E90 interior design first, but when you live with it for awhile, you realize that the material is high quality (at least comparatively) but only the textures that they used made the material look cheaper.
This is such nonsense.

I owned an E93 and an E90 and can tell you definitively that the materials you refer to are identical. In fact, the two touch-points that used to make me sore on long trips in the E90 no longer do so in the F30. My left elbow (I lean it on the window sill) and my left shin (I lean it on the lower door storage pocket) no longer feel bruised after a 5 hour cruise. And it's not because the material is softer; it's because the curvature of the plastic has been adjusted to a more comfortable angle.

And as far as the design being 'utilitarian'? Are you kidding? The E90 interior was about as spartan as it gets, was designed straight out of 1975 with no curves, no flair, no panache. Was as boring as it gets.

The F30's exterior is evolutionary from the E90. The F30's interior is revolutionary. 70% of the difference between the two models is found in the interior. It's remarkably comfortable, functional, and fresh.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 PM
dtc100 dtc100 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norcal
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,694
Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Most touch points are more driver centric, i.e. the steering wheel, shift knob and e-brake. When I was a kid and had a crappy car, these were things I would upgrade. So I would have an old GM car with a plastic fantastic interior but with a nice leather Momo knob, steering wheel, pedals, and e-brake handle.

LOL, my first car! Luckily I grew out of my "ricey" phase.
Not necessarily the same individual, but this is more or less what I meant when I said touch points on the passenger side:

Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 PM
sle39lvr sle39lvr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 126
Mein Auto: 08 E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
This is such nonsense.

I owned an E93 and an E90 and can tell you definitively that the materials you refer to are identical. In fact, the two touch-points that used to make me sore on long trips in the E90 no longer do so in the F30. My left elbow (I lean it on the window sill) and my left shin (I lean it on the lower door storage pocket) no longer feel bruised after a 5 hour cruise. And it's not because the material is softer; it's because the curvature of the plastic has been adjusted to a more comfortable angle.

And as far as the design being 'utilitarian'? Are you kidding? The E90 interior was about as spartan as it gets, was designed straight out of 1975 with no curves, no flair, no panache. Was as boring as it gets.

The F30's exterior is evolutionary from the E90. The F30's interior is revolutionary. 70% of the difference between the two models is found in the interior. It's remarkably comfortable, functional, and fresh.

BJ
I really do not want to reply to this. However, I WILL leave something highlighted
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:43 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,790
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sle39lvr View Post
I really do not want to reply to this. However, I WILL leave something highlighted


Compared to the E90 it most certainly is.

You can go ahead and love your 6 year old car without putting down our new ones. We all owned E90's before we got our F30's, I think we know what we're talking about here, might have some expertise that you lack.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 02-15-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Not necessarily the same individual, but this is more or less what I meant when I said touch points on the passenger side:

Ah, twas a joke. OK.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,159
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Looked at / test drove two 2013 328is today, a Melbourne Red with black Dakota, Sport line, Premium and a Modern line Black Saphire with Dakota Saddle Brown.

TL;DR: The F30 is a better sports sedan than the equivalent E90 - and - it is 100% a BMW.

Non-Driving review of the Red 328i Sport:

High quality materials, fit and finish. The Navi screen position is odd at first but not noticed after 30 seconds. The Speedo and tach are smallish, but ok. Don't like silver ring surrounding. No cover to cup holder, but later found it in glove box. Very BMW feel to steering wheel. Mat in trunk is a nice touch. Plastic of covered trunk struts? Fuel door is a bit bigger. Sport line is very attractive - red piping looks sharp.

Cup cover in small net in glove box is good, plus the net is cool. The other small net on back left is also a nice touch. Auto shift lever kinda looks odd. Modern?

The dash and controls canted to driver. Reminds me more of my E46. This is good. The Glove box feels tinny. Ok, No big deal. The In Dash LCD are cool below the gauges. Nice Led lights at top center. Good. Headliner good material weave good. Pirelli Cinturato P7s. Solid disks, Rear disks look smallish. M seats nice. Good support.

Driving review of the black Modern Line:

I test drove the black modern line 328i over a short 1.5 mile course. Excellent power. No noticeable turbo rattle at idle w window open. Great handling. Brakes firm and supportive. Transmission hesitation on spin up, but very very quick to downshift, and it seemed any turbo lag coincided with kickdown for quick reaction. Excellent road feel and steering on normal roads. Compliant suspension.

Car left in normal, not Eco or sport.

Color me impressed.
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,159
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360947362.459041.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	362364   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360947383.361631.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	362365  
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM
MMME30W's Avatar
MMME30W MMME30W is online now
Super Moderator
Location: On The Move
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 14,159
Mein Auto: 2009 W906
One more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1360947525.201666.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	362366  
__________________
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 02-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Jamesonsviggen Jamesonsviggen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,241
Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Some pics.
Based on wheels, the black one was a Luxury, not a Modern Line. They both have the same suspension though, so driving the Sport would have given you a different experience.
__________________
'98 M Roadster+'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt
'11 Saab 9-3 XWD
'13 M-Sport 328i 6mt FOR SALE


E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms