Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Google+ now needed to rate apps/extensions?

I just attempted to give a positive review to a Chrome Extension and found something disturbing: I must join Google+ to do so.

I think Apps store requires this too but I haven't downloaded a new app to my Android phone in probably a year (no point).

This is as annoying as Amex and others partnering with Facebook so that to get some promotions you must "Like" something on Facebook.

Guess I could make fake Facebook and Google+ accounts...
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Not Wearing Pants

So, guess I'm the only one opposed to Google+?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Yes!!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
So, guess I'm the only one opposed to Google+?
You're complaining that you have to register to rate something? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of saying you hate having to register here to post?
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
You're complaining that you have to register to rate something? Wouldn't that be the equivalent of saying you hate having to register here to post?
Having a gmail account was sufficient in the past. Now to rate an app or extension you must join Google+. And the review will appear with your name. They're slowly doing this to all of their things so you can't jump in and easily review a restaurant or a store on google maps. Nope, gotta be a member of Google+.

So what's annoying me is that in order to provide positive feedback to an app developer I must create a fake Google+ ID and then review the app. If I don't create a fake ID, I would run the risk of the review being public under my name (easily googled). I have a career and there's no reason I would want my current or eventual employer to see anything about my private life online.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Thumbs down

Quote:
Having a gmail account was sufficient in the past. Now to rate an app or extension you must join Google+. And the review will appear with your name. They're slowly doing this to all of their things so you can't jump in and easily review a restaurant or a store on google maps. Nope, gotta be a member of Google+.

So what's annoying me is that in order to provide positive feedback to an app developer I must create a fake Google+ ID and then review the app. If I don't create a fake ID, I would run the risk of the review being public under my name (easily googled). I have a career and there's no reason I would want my current or eventual employer to see anything about my private life online.
+1 googol.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
+1 googol.
So you want to have your private views broadcast on the internet?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:

So create a fake ID then. For similar reasons, I don't "like" anything on facebook, but my dog does on occasion.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Quote:
So you want to have your private views broadcast on the internet?
You need to Google gogool.