Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Help! My E60 says my trunk is open in the idrive

My trunk is secure and closed, but the iDrive keeps giving me a "Trunk Open!" alert. Has any one experienced this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Is the trunk light on from the inside? If you can't tell from the outside, fold down your seats (if you have fold down seats) and see from the inside.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM

The trunk warning is coming and going now. I do not have the fold down seats, but I put my phone in the trunk with the video camera running and it did not show the light to be on. I have a 2007 530i with comfort entrance, I do not know if that makes a difference.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1441236 looks very similar.. go towards the bottom. Looks like a worn or broken wire in that case
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coacherr View Post
The trunk warning is coming and going now. I do not have the fold down seats, but I put my phone in the trunk with the video camera running and it did not show the light to be on. I have a 2007 530i with comfort entrance, I do not know if that makes a difference.
Clever idea.

Hmm, if the light is going off, then the fault may not necessarily be at the switch. Might be another problem. Might have to visit the dealer on this one...
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM

Finally the problem has been resolved....

It was the same problem as earlier bimmers, 4 wires had been chaffed in the hinge support on the right side of the trunk. It was causing a "trunk open" and "rear license plate light malfunction" error messages in the idrive. $6 in wires and all is quiet in the cabin. FINALLY!!!!!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Mike Swing

Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Bottom trunk light not working

Hey guys. I think I'm having the same issue but my light won't turn on now. I messed with the wire coming out of the hinge on the right passenger side and it worked for a second but now it's off completely. Any specific idea on how to fix this? My wires look good. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	440960  
Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swing View Post
Hey guys. I think I'm having the same issue but my light won't turn on now. I messed with the wire coming out of the hinge on the right passenger side and it worked for a second but now it's off completely. Any specific idea on how to fix this? My wires look good. Here's a picture.
Likely, either the conductor was weakened or broken and your handling the wires separated the two pieces of the conductor within the insulation so that they no longer touch, or the rapid on-off cycle of the wire making and losing contact burned out the lamp.

If the lamp is common in size to another location in the car test it there or with a power supply or small battery out of the car.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Mike Swing

Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Likely, either the conductor was weakened or broken and your handling the wires separated the two pieces of the conductor within the insulation so that they no longer touch, or the rapid on-off cycle of the wire making and losing contact burned out the lamp.

If the lamp is common in size to another location in the car test it there or with a power supply or small battery out of the car.
The lamp is fine. I was able to test it. I think I messed up something with the connecting wires in the hinge. Can this wire just be replaced?