Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM
coacherr coacherr is offline
Registered User
Location: Walnut Creek
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Help! My E60 says my trunk is open in the idrive

My trunk is secure and closed, but the iDrive keeps giving me a "Trunk Open!" alert. Has any one experienced this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 183
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Is the trunk light on from the inside? If you can't tell from the outside, fold down your seats (if you have fold down seats) and see from the inside.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM
coacherr coacherr is offline
Registered User
Location: Walnut Creek
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
The trunk warning is coming and going now. I do not have the fold down seats, but I put my phone in the trunk with the video camera running and it did not show the light to be on. I have a 2007 530i with comfort entrance, I do not know if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
schpenxel schpenxel is offline
DIY'er
Location: Greensboro, NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,295
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1441236 looks very similar.. go towards the bottom. Looks like a worn or broken wire in that case
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 AM
patrick_y patrick_y is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 183
Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by coacherr View Post
The trunk warning is coming and going now. I do not have the fold down seats, but I put my phone in the trunk with the video camera running and it did not show the light to be on. I have a 2007 530i with comfort entrance, I do not know if that makes a difference.
Clever idea.

Hmm, if the light is going off, then the fault may not necessarily be at the switch. Might be another problem. Might have to visit the dealer on this one...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
coacherr coacherr is offline
Registered User
Location: Walnut Creek
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Finally the problem has been resolved....

It was the same problem as earlier bimmers, 4 wires had been chaffed in the hinge support on the right side of the trunk. It was causing a "trunk open" and "rear license plate light malfunction" error messages in the idrive. $6 in wires and all is quiet in the cabin. FINALLY!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Mike Swing Mike Swing is offline
Mike Swing
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Bottom trunk light not working

Hey guys. I think I'm having the same issue but my light won't turn on now. I messed with the wire coming out of the hinge on the right passenger side and it worked for a second but now it's off completely. Any specific idea on how to fix this? My wires look good. Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	440960  
__________________
Mike Swing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2014, 09:36 PM
bimmerfan52 bimmerfan52 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 914
Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swing View Post
Hey guys. I think I'm having the same issue but my light won't turn on now. I messed with the wire coming out of the hinge on the right passenger side and it worked for a second but now it's off completely. Any specific idea on how to fix this? My wires look good. Here's a picture.
Likely, either the conductor was weakened or broken and your handling the wires separated the two pieces of the conductor within the insulation so that they no longer touch, or the rapid on-off cycle of the wire making and losing contact burned out the lamp.

If the lamp is common in size to another location in the car test it there or with a power supply or small battery out of the car.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Mike Swing Mike Swing is offline
Mike Swing
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 217
Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan52 View Post
Likely, either the conductor was weakened or broken and your handling the wires separated the two pieces of the conductor within the insulation so that they no longer touch, or the rapid on-off cycle of the wire making and losing contact burned out the lamp.

If the lamp is common in size to another location in the car test it there or with a power supply or small battery out of the car.
The lamp is fine. I was able to test it. I think I messed up something with the connecting wires in the hinge. Can this wire just be replaced?
__________________
Mike Swing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms