Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i Sport
Intake Silencer on a E60

I own a 2005 545i:

I'm a little confused by the maintenance schedule on this item.

When should it be replaced or cleaned? Or is that even required. It seems to me that it could evenutally clog.

Anybody mess with this item? And if so, what did you do?
Ads by Google
Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
It's just the air filter. Change it out every time you do an oil change. If you have a K&N or equivalent long lasting type, just wash rinse and reuse at the same interval. The major issue is using too much oil to coat the reusable filter prior to reinstalling after cleaning.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:22 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
It's just the air filter. Change it out every time you do an oil change. If you have a K&N or equivalent long lasting type, just wash rinse and reuse at the same interval. The major issue is using too much oil to coat the reusable filter prior to reinstalling after cleaning.
Correct, after cleaning the K&N wipe off as much excess oil as possible, and keep a can of MAF cleaner in your garage (I clean the MAF sensor whenever I change my oil, just in case)

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM

I am referring to the baffle like "filter" housed within item #1.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrumpy View Post
I am referring to the baffle like "filter" housed within item #1.

That's the charcoal filter. It helps with emissions. You should never have to change it unless its dirty and you accidentally run your car without the standard filter. Some people have removed it (myself) for a deeper sound on wide open throttle.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
That's the charcoal filter. It helps with emissions. You should never have to change it unless its dirty and you accidentally run your car without the standard filter. Some people have removed it (myself) for a deeper sound on wide open throttle.
+1000 Get rid of it, it is another restriction on HP and air flow. It's not really necessary. This is the first thing I removed.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 01:37 PM

I've taken a cursory look at it ,but didn't see any way to remove it, and the BMW parts list doesn't show it as a seperate item.

How did you guys take it out?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
I've taken a cursory look at it ,but didn't see any way to remove it, and the BMW parts list doesn't show it as a seperate item.

How did you guys take it out?
Ass I recall, it just pulls right out. I think BMW lists it as part of the upper intake housing and that's why it is not listed as a separate item.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Propellers Up Front

Use a flat tip screw driver and get in between the upper part of the silencer and the outer edge of the filter and pry carefully. It's tough to come out, but it does. It's on US spec vehicles only, so that may be why it's not listed. And may only be needed in Cali, who knows? It does say on caps "Do Not Remove"
Don't listen to it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Okay. Thanks guys. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, and see if I want to leave it in or out, and see if it needs "cleaning".
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somwhere

Mein Auto: 330i, Z3 2.8L, 545i
Some of the charcoal pleated filters in the silencer are molded into the top cover. I have read other posts where this is observed by year of manufacture. I have a 2004 545i and mine is removable. Metal clips hold it to the top half. I am sure after 9 years the charcoal is of no benefit. This was once a replaceable item now if you want a new one you have to buy the entire top half of the silencer which I believe is like 150.00. I have also read that international BMWs do not even have.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
2007 550i & X3, 2002 X5

Mein Auto: BMW 550i, X5, X3
I had to break the plastic clip rails to remove it and I am now getting 1-2 better MPG than when installed. It only makes sense, it restricts airflow to the intake. Stupid part to put in a race car.

2007 550i, Sport Premium, Silver Gray Metallic, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Access, Heated Rear Seats, HD Radio, Xenon

2007 X3, 3.0si ///M Sport Premium, Monaco Blue, Gray Dakota, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Xenon

2002 X5, 3.0i Sport Premium, Titanium Silver, Gray Dakota, Cold Weather Package, Xenon, just a winter vehicle

Last edited by MSAMMY; 02-14-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Okay. Thanks guys. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, and see if I want to leave it in or out, and see if it needs "cleaning".
Here's a few photos of this "silencer/muffler/filter":

The BMW Part number on the silencer/muffler/filter is: 13717525717 (02)

I can find nothing on this part number. Weird!

Called BMW and nobody there knew anything about it.

Thought I was crazy and they don't have email/internet access in parts.

Last edited by mrgrumpy; 02-15-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Did you check getbmwparts.com or penskeparts.com - not that you shouldn't just remove it, but curiosity would kill me.

EDIT: It's not available online either, that must mean it comes only as part of the upper intake assembly and not sold separately.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe

Last edited by pjinca; 02-15-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:39 AM

Checked them as well but nothing on that part number.

The closest Penske has is: 13717525715 INTAKE MUFFLER

So it looks like it's sold as one piece at about $450.00 USDs.

I may just cut the paper/fabric element out as it is bonded into place

Very weird stuff for sure.

I have to assume after 100K that it needs replacing, but it does come after the air filter so who knows.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

I would have to agree, that filter MUST be at the end of it's life at 100k. My current car has less than 21k and the filter is already in the trash

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Here's an email reply from a local BMW dealer:

----------------------------------------------------

"I'm not aware of any service interval for that filter. I'm not even sure why there is a filter in there if it can't be replaced. If you have access to compressed air, you may try to blow air through it to get any dust that is trapped in the lids filter.

I double checked for the part you are looking for. Unfortunately the lid is not available separately. You have to purchase the entire air box. I have attached a picture of our diagram where we look the parts up. You will notice that #1 in the picture is the assembly and # 2 is the air filter for the engine. If yours is broken and cannot be fixed, you may need to find a used one. If not I will be happy to help you with a new assembly. The cost is $564.47."

---------------------------------------

A primary fabric air filter, that is permanently mounted, with no service interval nor knowledge of its existence.

Yet it resides in the primary air plenum for the engine.

Has to be the weirdest thing I have ever encountered.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
Some of the charcoal pleated filters in the silencer are molded into the top cover. I have read other posts where this is observed by year of manufacture. I have a 2004 545i and mine is removable. Metal clips hold it to the top half. I am sure after 9 years the charcoal is of no benefit. This was once a replaceable item now if you want a new one you have to buy the entire top half of the silencer which I believe is like 150.00. I have also read that international BMWs do not even have.
Any chance you can locate the BMW part number on that upper housing? On the replaceable filter?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Here's an email reply from a local BMW dealer:

----------------------------------------------------

"I'm not aware of any service interval for that filter. I'm not even sure why there is a filter in there if it can't be replaced. If you have access to compressed air, you may try to blow air through it to get any dust that is trapped in the lids filter.

I double checked for the part you are looking for. Unfortunately the lid is not available separately. You have to purchase the entire air box. I have attached a picture of our diagram where we look the parts up. You will notice that #1 in the picture is the assembly and # 2 is the air filter for the engine. If yours is broken and cannot be fixed, you may need to find a used one. If not I will be happy to help you with a new assembly. The cost is $564.47."

---------------------------------------

A primary fabric air filter, that is permanently mounted, with no service interval nor knowledge of its existence.

Yet it resides in the primary air plenum for the engine.

Has to be the weirdest thing I have ever encountered.
LOL, this doesn't surprise me at all, I have yet to meet anyone at any dealer who can describe the difference between LCI and Pre-LCI - much less identify this filter.
The one guy that came closest was a parts guy at Shelly BMW, but even he SWORE there was no Pre-LCI M5.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 02-15-2013, 02:11 PM
Propellers Up Front

So no one has taken this filter out on a 545i?
That would be weird if it's part of the silencer as one piece.
Here's what it looks like removed on a 530i.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Propellers Up Front

I couldn't find mine, which means I probably threw it out. I looked at the step by step removal for the one on the M5. Looks like that part number on the filter itself is 13717834740.
It's yielding nothing however.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I couldn't find mine, which means I probably threw it out. I looked at the step by step removal for the one on the M5. Looks like that part number on the filter itself is 13717834740.
It's yielding nothing however.
So how did you remove it from the 530i?

I checked parts on the 530i, and its listed as simply the Intake Muffler without reference to the filter just as on the 545i.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
So how did you remove it from the 530i?

I checked parts on the 530i, and its listed as simply the Intake Muffler without reference to the filter just as on the 545i.
I used a small flat tip screwdriver and inserted it between the edge of the filter and the silencer box. Pry upwards (against) the filter until it popped away from the silencer. Follow the same step on the other side, and it came off all the way. It's held in by metal clips at the back which secure it tightly so I good prying (without damaging the silencer of course) is necessary. I imagine its the same on the 45i
Old 02-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
I used a small flat tip screwdriver and inserted it between the edge of the filter and the silencer box. Pry upwards (against) the filter until it popped away from the silencer. Follow the same step on the other side, and it came off all the way. It's held in by metal clips at the back which secure it tightly so I good prying (without damaging the silencer of course) is necessary. I imagine its the same on the 45i
Thank you. I was thinking that perhaps it was glued into place. I'm sure the 545i is also held by mechnical fasteners.

I'm going to pop that guy out and see how dirty it is at this point. Probably just leave it out.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I was thinking that perhaps it was glued into place. I'm sure the 545i is also held by mechnical fasteners.

I'm going to pop that guy out and see how dirty it is at this point. Probably just leave it out.
Okay. I took it our for now to see what affect if any is felt.

I released the clips holding upper housing to the lower portion.

I then released the switch from its connector.

I then lifted the upper housing and unscrewed the 2 torx screws.

I then pulled the upper housing off of the the duct. (held on by a thick, rubber, O-Ring)

Using several small headed, flat tipped screw drivers, I pryed the filter from the upper housing chamber. Placing the screwdrivers at different points around the filter frame and the upper housing frame. (It removed quite easily to my surprise.)

--------------------------------------------------

All text on the item reads as follows:

"bauteil darf nicht ausgebaut werden" "component can not be removed"

DO NOT REMOVE

PP-TX20

1371 7525717-02

517506 10 AT

657 491 7

------------------------------------

It is charcoal, but remains quite porous after holding a CREE flashlight up to it. So I doubt that it impeded air flow to any extent that might impede performance. Nor did it appear to offer any filtration either.

I then cleaned and slighlty oiled the o-ring and reinstalled it.

Reattached the two torx screws, switch and upper housing clipped to lower.

Fired up the car and noticed some fluctuations in idle that settled down.

I'm going to drive it at highway speed and see if I notice any difference.

Perhaps run through 1 full tank of gas and check mileage etc.

I'm beginnning to think its okay for it to be there without any performance hit but time will tell.

Last edited by mrgrumpy; 02-16-2013 at 01:41 PM.