Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: accord
opinions

Hey guys,

I was looking to buy a new car and had in mind some entry premium cars like the g37 and 335i. Then i saw a 650i drive by and right away i stopped caring for the other two. I found an 09 650i coupe with 32k miles for $33k. I read the "looking to buy" thread as well as a whole lot of others but still not sure if its a good idea to buy one.

Things like the coolant pipe and the the easily bendable rims are kind of steering me away from purchasing. The car would be my daily driver but i would put 10k miles on it a yr at max. For those of you that bought used, would you do it again?
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
I use to own a G35 coupe and it was a great car, but you can definitely feel the difference in refinement with BMW. I bought my 650i used and so far so good. Any more details on the one you're looking at? Clean title, auto or stick, color, base or sport, options......
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl115 View Post
Hey guys,

I was looking to buy a new car and had in mind some entry premium cars like the g37 and 335i. Then i saw a 650i drive by and right away i stopped caring for the other two. I found an 09 650i coupe with 32k miles for $33k. I read the "looking to buy" thread as well as a whole lot of others but still not sure if its a good idea to buy one.

Things like the coolant pipe and the the easily bendable rims are kind of steering me away from purchasing. The car would be my daily driver but i would put 10k miles on it a yr at max. For those of you that bought used, would you do it again?
Is there any sort of accident or bad treat? If not, that's a crazy deal. 33,000 for 32,000 miles... uhm... Except the part that it's not convertible. 33,000 miles. I wouldn't even sell my 09 cabrio with 67,000 miles for $33,000 LOL. It's a steal deal isn't it.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
That seems like a really good price for that car. I have an '08 convertible that I bought with 28,000 miles. In response to your question, would I buy it again, the answer is "yes." I had the brakes, tire pressure sensors, and rotors changed (all under warranty), but otherwise haven't had any problems. The 650 is not a sports car, and isn't designed as one. But, if you are in the market for a grand touring vehicle, the 650 is a great car - powerful, solid, comfortable, etc. I love mine.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 645i
It all depends on the condition of the car. I bought a 3 year old CPO 2005 645 convertible from a BMW dealer. It wasn't because I was worried about paying for repairs. It was because the dealer isn't likely to sell a lemon via CPO. I've now had the car for 5 years and have 113K miles on it. I've loved every mile! Only a few minor repairs, most of which were covered. I haven't been in the shop since the oil change last June. Just make sure you keep up with maintenance and expect to pay $2-3k per year when out of warranty. Enjoy!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks for all the helpful replies! It's black with a "platinum" interior, i'm not sure what comes standard or how the options are broken down on these cars but it has:

Leather Interior, Navigation, Panoramic Sunroof, Parking Sensors, iDrive System w/ Sport Mode, Heated Exterior Mirrors, Traction Control, 6 CD Changer, DVD Entertainment System, Bluetooth, USB/AUX Input, Memory Settings, Tiptronic Transmission w/ Paddle Shifters, Start/Stop Engine Button, Keyless Entry, Automatic Climate Control, Steering Wheel Mounted Controls, 18'' Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, and xenon lights

It's a beautiful car but it isn't cpo and it isn't from a BMW dealership. I have to contact the dealer to get the carfax but figured i would ask around first just to see what i am getting myself into.

2-3 thousand a year is a lot in maintenance for a car with only ~30k miles, isnt it?
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

If you buy it now, it's probably still under factory warranty. The miles are plenty but the years gonna end real soon. Therefore, get it now if you really like it, then go to a trustworthy dealer, get an inspection to fix everything. Then you're good to go. If you wanna keep it long, I think it's also best to get an extended warranty from BMW. You know, the navigation alone will cost you ~$4,500 to replace.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Everyone's story will be different, some good some bad, but you can't go by opinions of this board. We all love our car. You won't find any people on a forum board for a vehicle who hate their car!

It all depends on what you can afford. If this car is a stretch for you and you don't have a spare $2,000 hanging around that you can dump on an unexpected repair then I would say don't do it. Everything on these cars are exponentially more expensive than "entry level" vehicles you brought up.

So I will chime in, despite the 5 repair events I had under warranty that would have cost me $5k I love my car!
Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsl115 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies! It's black with a "platinum" interior, i'm not sure what comes standard or how the options are broken down on these cars but it has:

Leather Interior, Navigation, Panoramic Sunroof, Parking Sensors, iDrive System w/ Sport Mode, Heated Exterior Mirrors, Traction Control, 6 CD Changer, DVD Entertainment System, Bluetooth, USB/AUX Input, Memory Settings, Tiptronic Transmission w/ Paddle Shifters, Start/Stop Engine Button, Keyless Entry, Automatic Climate Control, Steering Wheel Mounted Controls, 18'' Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, and xenon lights

It's a beautiful car but it isn't cpo and it isn't from a BMW dealership. I have to contact the dealer to get the carfax but figured i would ask around first just to see what i am getting myself into.

2-3 thousand a year is a lot in maintenance for a car with only ~30k miles, isnt it?
If you can get the VIN there are websites that can get you all factory options that were on the car when delivered. Also any BMW dealer can get you that info.

You really need that data. Uuch of what you are listing are just standard 6 features.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 PM

I should have said when out of extended warranty, which is way down the road from 30k miles. What others have said is true. When you do need to repair something, it will be 2-3x the cost of a similar repair on a mainstream car. But if you can afford it, it's well worth it. This is my 4th BMW, and by far my favorite!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Just looked up the vin and it looks like this is a base model with no options added.
http://bmwvin.com/?vin=CV92644&confirm_code=ghiyt

Buying it now and getting everything repaired under warranty is a great idea. As soon as i get the carfax and if everything checks out i'll do that. I knew that repairs would be a lot more than what i would pay on my Accord but i expected that from a car that once cost close to 80 grand. I was just worried about the "car always being in the shop" kind of stigma that a lot of people hold BMW's to. Found some great DIY's on the cap seal and coolant pipe, nice to know that 6 series owners take care of each other. Those two problems were my biggest concern.

Anyone know what kind of mileage these cars get? I know its a big car with a v8 that goes along with it but i'm just curious. Just want to make sure i won't be getting around 8mpg lol
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
My car averages around 14mpg, all city driving. It is a daily driver for my wife and I guess she is a bit leadfooted! When I have drive it over the weekend I get more like 13mpg, but I only drive with traction control partially off, Sport Mode engaged, and the Tranny in DS (sport) mode also. On the highway I got 25mpg unless you start jamming through traffic, then you will notice a significant decrease.

If you try real hard you will get better...I just enjoy the feel of all horses pushing me forward.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM

14/25 is really good for what this car is. I would probably drive the same way- with sport mode on and the tranny in sport. Sounds like tons of fun
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Seem likes you like the car so much just get it. I suggest you should check a full option 6 series too. I mean lots of people get there car and regret didnt find option like HUD, Confort Access or sinply iPod connection. Getting those install afterward will cost you easy over $4k. To me i just love to drive and see my car shine so if I was you I would just go and grab it. Dont forget extended warranty.

Oh yeah? And I'm glad that I found this amazing community. Before when I first have this car, I have it with a mindset that owning a bmw ingeneral is a big cost. Its not, you will find even this is 6 series. 6 series like a baby wants more ice cream than others. But it's not that. After I learnt many lessons about BMW and 6 series, I feel like the only thing I would care is gas money since I drive about 25k miles a year. However, this car job is to make sure you feel happy every penny you spend on gas. I can't stand a day without crusing this great car around The Pacific Coast.

Last edited by reytran; 02-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
I do about 70/30 highway/city. My average is about 19-21. Highway is 25ish. Hit sport mode and manual and watch the gas needle move!

I'm normally driving in auto mostly with sport mode off. Considering the performance this are reasonable numbers.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 02-15-2013, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
I would buy one again in a heartbeat. Love my car.

Dealership repairs are expensive. Indy mechanic repairs are a little better. DIY's on this car are cheaper than most any car I've ever owned. If you do the work the parts are cheap.

I had to replace the front PDC wire harness when I bought my car. It was ~ $50 for a brand new BMW part. The same part for my 02 Saab 9-3 (or my wifes old Volvo s60) would have been $400 and I'd be driving to an Allentown, PA junk yard to pull it off a wreck. BMW branded oil at the dealership $7.50/qt, Mobil1 at AutoZone $9.50/qt. Granted there are lots of expensive modules and pieces on a 6 series, but in general I find that the parts are very reasonable. The thing is most BMW owners are not willing or not able to the work themselves and simply go to the dealer. $$$$$$
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
NSL - you made a key point... your frame of reference is that you are a Honda owner. My wife and I had owned exclusively Honda's/Acuras for the past 20 or so years. So, two years ago when I started researching a move up to a lux/sport convertible, I also fell in love with the six after a test drive. Given my Honda history, I had been spoiled by infallible reliability and modest maintenance costs. For me it wasn't that I couldn't easily afford the six's roughly 2X or 3X maintenance costs and likely big ticket repair(s), but it went to my personal "ownership satisfaction" ... if the high costs came frequently, then I was going to become a dissatisfied owner no matter how sweet she drove and looked... So, I made the decision to pay a few thousand more for a CPO. Also, I was fortunate enough to buy during a BMW sales promotion where I also received the free extended maintenance to match the CPO out to 6 yrs/100K miles. So, in the last 2.5 years, my only costs have been tires, a battery and a few mod's.

In summary, my advice to you is given your Honda perspective, you should look at a CPO with BMW-backed warranty with some protection from the high-dollar repair as it will likely make a difference not only in your wallet but in your ownership satisfaction. Good luck with the research and the hunt, which was allot of fun for me.

Oh, and my MPG has averaged 19+ (about 60% highway, the rest city)

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M
I bought my 09 with 44k for $36,999 last October. Car is a coupe/auto loaded except for the upgraded audio. Much nicer than the G37s I was looking at (and if you are a big guy, the G37 is cramped, with my watch on I can't get to the seat controls easily, and the right tunnel felt like it instruded onto my thigh.

Before the warranty ran out at 50k I bought an extended warranty from BMW, 2.5 years/100k miles for $3380.

I really like driving the car. I get 19mpg around town, but turn on sport mode and bam, 14mpg
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

For real? I bought my 09 cabrio with 47k miles wirh fully loaded, msrp $95k for $45k. With tax, warranty n maintenance contract it hit total $56k. I think im not really good in getting deal then.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 635i
Love my 6

I have an '09 650i. I have never had a car that is this much fun to drive.

The dealer already replaced my nagigation system (under warranty).

If you buy CPO, you will get the extended 2 year warranty for free. You will need to pay for maintenance after two years. But you can buy 2 years of maintenance for about $2K. But I would recommend finding an independent mechanic, instead of using the dealer.

My only complaint about the car is the 09 comes with the older entertainment/NAV system based on a slow DVD drive. The 2010 comes with the new system. But the 2010s generally cost $10K more than an 09.

I am worried about the price they are offering the car for. It is so low it suggests some problem.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
NSL113 - that was me driving by you. You are welcome! BTW, that is a great deal. Buy the car already

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 02-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
There is something wrong with that car or the seller is crazy. That is a major deal.

Makes me miss my 6.

Hmm, lemme go check the bank account...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Check the Carfax to make sure it hasn't been in an accident or had multiple owners. A cheap price isn't a bargain if you constantly have problems. From what I've heard, there are good 6's (like mine) and bad ones that constantly have faults due to all of the sensors on these cars.