Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Some real info on i3 RANGE EXTENDER option!

BMW Details Range Extender Option On Upcoming i3, 160 More Miles On Gas

--InsideEVs
Ads by Google
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM

Even more info!

BMW Speeds Up Debut Of i3 With Range Extender, As Model Will Debut In Geneva

"The car’s electric motor is rated at 125 kW, good for 170 hp and 250 Nm, with 0-60 coming up in less than 8.0 seconds, and a top speed of 93 mph (150 kph). The i3 with extender option gets up to 186 miles (300 km) of range, when coupled with the vehicle’s estimated 90 miles of all electric range."

Sounds like a motorcycle engine with a motocycle's tank. Interesting.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
125kW is a LOT more power than EVs from Renault or Nissan. The Kangoo van, for example is 44kW and the little Zoe car is 64kW. Torque isn't far off though at 220Nm. With similar torque numbers the Zoe will feel as fast off the line as an i3. The difference will come at 40 or 50mph where drag and power start to matter.

With that much power, I'm surprised that top speed is only 150kph. They could be doing it to preserve range. Could also be safety, thermal or motor overspeed??

I suspect the range extender will get terrible press. 90 on battery and "only" 186 with the range extender is not going to go over well.

For me, that would be more than enough if the car also has a "faster" charger. Even 6kW would do. If the car has a real 90 mile range (not an NEDC range of 90) the battery range alone would be enough for 95% of our driving.

Details for the UK built Leaf should be out at Geneva. The face lifted Kangoo ZE, the face lifted Fluence, and Zoe will be at Geneva. VW might have an announcement too.

Good to see that BMW isn't going to be left in the dust.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 02-15-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Even more details

A few more details in this report from Autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...ll-electric-i3

NEDC Range on battery is 140miles. BMW's 90 miles is their "real" range number.

UK price is about £38,000 or about the same as a 330d.

0-62 in 7.2s and 37 to 75 in 6.0s
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM

Good summary of the info gleaned in those ride-alongs:

BMW Allows The First Journalists Ever To Take A Ride In An i3