Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sedan
RPM question.

Just curious to see if anyone can help me understand this.
My 335i seems be at around 600rpm when I'm standing still. Either in park or drive. This is normal, I'd assume when warmed up.
I noticed at times it would be at around 700-800 when in park. So when I give it some gas then it goes down to 600.
I'm sure it's normal just felt I had to ask.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Taeksoo; 02-15-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i.F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeksoo View Post
My 335i seems be at around 600rpm when I'm standing still. Either in park or drive. This is normal, I'd assume when warmed up.
I noticed at times it would be at around 700-800 when in park. So when I give it some gas then it goes down to 600.

is the car still cold when you notice 700-800?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheikh82 View Post
is the car still cold when you notice 700-800?
No, I just noticed it this morning too after over 2hrs of highway drive.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Bump.. Anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:

This may be a dealer call or check next time you are there. This following description is only for Automatic transmissions but may not be accurate for then new F30. A couple of notes:

1. A car has a cold idle typically 200 RPM above the hot idle. It used to be a solenoid switch would hold the throttle open when cold. Sometimes the solenoids would stick and a simple tap of the gas pedal would release it. However, the new F30 has electronic throttle, not a mechanical linkage, therefore, I might check to see if something could be sticking on your accelerator.

2. The RPM is typically lower in Drive or Reverse because the trans is engaged and the motor does have a load on it. The RPM is typically 6-650 RPM in Drive or Reverse and 7-800 RPM in Park or Neutral when warm, that being said, again the throttle is electronic and some BMW programming may alter the way the vehicle idles. For example, I live in Michigan and a temperature below 12F will prevent the start/stop to work, therefore your idle question may be a dealer inquiry.

3. Take notes such as, what mode are you in when this happens? how long the car has run when this happens? does it only happen when under certain conditions? Does it appear or disappear after certain conditions or time? I think these are needed to know to make a better analysis.

Let us know what you find out!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 02-15-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
This may be a dealer call or check next time you are there. This following description is only for Automatic transmissions but may not be accurate for then new F30. A couple of notes:

1. A car has a cold idle typically 200 RPM above the hot idle. It used to be a solenoid switch would hold the throttle open when cold. Sometimes the solenoids would stick and a simple tap of the gas pedal would release it. However, the new F30 has electronic throttle, not a mechanical linkage, therefore, I might check to see if something could be sticking on your accelerator.

2. The RPM is typically lower in Drive or Reverse because the trans is engaged and the motor does have a load on it. The RPM is typically 6-650 RPM in Drive or Reverse and 7-800 RPM in Park or Neutral when warm, that being said, again the throttle is electronic and some BMW programming may alter the way the vehicle idles. For example, I live in Michigan and a temperature below 12F will prevent the start/stop to work, therefore your idle question may be a dealer inquiry.

3. Take notes such as, what mode are you in when this happens? how long the car has run when this happens? does it only happen when under certain conditions? Does it appear or disappear after certain conditions or time? I think these are needed to know to make a better analysis.

Let us know what you find out!
Thanks for that detail.
This happens when I'm in park. Didn't notice it in Drive. So, from what you are saying this is normal? Just odd that it goes down after a little gas in park.
Like you said I'll monitor and keep some notes. Then call the dealer once I get more firm data for them to work with. Will share when if I find something out.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Thanks for that detail.
This happens when I'm in park. Didn't notice it in Drive. So, from what you are saying this is normal? Just odd that it goes down after a little gas in park.
Like you said I'll monitor and keep some notes. Then call the dealer once I get more firm data for them to work with. Will share when if I find something out.

That would make sense, if the car is started cold, the idle will be higher till the engine reaches a certain temperature before the idle would come down. Sometimes the idle will stay at a higher speed until a little throttle movement will cause the idle to kick down. If the high speed idle (cold idle temperature) is jammed, the idle would raise from the 7-800 RPM to over 1000 when warm. The reason for this is the warmer motor has less internal friction and the fuel is burning more efficiently. If in doubt, drop by the dealer and ask.

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 02-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i
Mine does the same thing. Doesn't bother me. Just keep a foot on the brake pedal, when parking.

F30 335i
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
That would make sense, if the car is started cold, the idle will be higher till the engine reaches a certain temperature before the idle would come down. Sometimes the idle will stay at a higher speed until a little throttle movement will cause the idle to kick down. If the high speed idle (cold idle temperature) is jammed, the idle would raise from the 7-800 RPM to over 1000 when warm. The reason for this is the warmer motor has less internal friction and the fuel is burning more efficiently. If in doubt, drop by the dealer and ask.
Yeah, that I kind of get but it happens even when engine is all warmed up. Like driving for 2 hours. It happened today twice. Each time I drove for about 30-40 mins. I got some pics of it. Some are before and after I give gas when in park. Hope the pics come in order.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361001111257.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	362480   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361001121391.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	362481   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361001130300.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	362482   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361001140854.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	362483  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Just wanted to give some update on this.
I finally called the dealer. I couldn't figure out any ways to recreate this since it's so random.
So I tell my story and immediately the service tells me that it's normal. They told me that the computer is trying to do something. And when I give it gas I'm giving some more throttle so it's just goes away.
So, not sure if this makes more sense to anyone else here but I guess that's what it is.