Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E53 X5 2003
Talking i hate speed limit

hello everyone, I've just bought my first 2003 e53 x5 3.0i automatic (M54B30 ENGINE) (European)
and I am not really impressed with the acceleration and top speed.
mine wont go more than 208 KPH (130 m/h).
can anyone help me out with this problem and advise me what to do exactly cause am new to this car.
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0L
Sell it and buy a McLaren F1.
http://www.fantasycars.com/McLaren_F1/mclaren_f1.html
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesamorite View Post
hello everyone, I've just bought my first 2003 e53 x5 3.0i automatic (M54B30 ENGINE) (European)
and I am not really impressed with the acceleration and top speed.
mine wont go more than 208 KPH (130 m/h).
can anyone help me out with this problem and advise me what to do exactly cause am new to this car.
Tires are probably not rated to go much higher. It's an SUV (SAV) so it doesn't cut through the air like an arrow, but more like the side of a building. 130 mph is pretty fast for this vehicle.
The wind noise at those speeds are loud inside the cabin.
Agreed, if you need to go faster get a different car.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0I Sport
??? Get a 4.8 or Cayenne if you want a faster SUV, but I know what you mean that is why I am looking to change to the 4.8, the sound alone is to die for.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E53 X5 2003
guys i know that it's not a speed car but i like it, i know that this engine witch is the same used in e46 330i and e39 530i can give more than that with a heavier body the acceleration wont be as in the other cars but top speed is limited in this car cuz it's an sav, and all i want is something to delimit top speed, so if anyone has done such thing to this car, your help is appreciated
Old 02-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If you're going to make it faster, you should consider adding bigger brakes to slow it down faster. Nothing worse then a 4500+ lbs car hurling along @ 140+ mph and you can't stop it before colliding with the other car or object in front of you. Speed KILLS, if you don't believe me Google Porsche Girl.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
If you're going to make it faster, you should consider adding bigger brakes to slow it down faster. Nothing worse then a 4500+ lbs car hurling along @ 140+ mph and you can't stop it before colliding with the other car or object in front of you. Speed KILLS, if you don't believe me Google Porsche Girl.
Personally before I do any mods that increase speed I upgrade brakes. With the exception of my S10 pickup. But that is not street legal anymore (drag strip only)

I strongly recommend upgrading brakes.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Speed KILLS, if you don't believe me Google Porsche Girl.
By the way, speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden stop that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord4play View Post
Personally before I do any mods that increase speed I upgrade brakes. With the exception of my S10 pickup. But that is not street legal anymore (drag strip only)

I strongly recommend upgrading brakes.
While this is good advice, I believe most guys/gals that drive aggressively only want the thrill of cars, light poles, buildings etc... rushing by them. The sensation or thrill is awesome. People generally never track a vehicle. On a track all is open and the sensation of speed is a bit different (not a drag strip running 10's or less of course).

Brakes upgrades (specially the big ones) should be reserved for track use as factory brakes are plenty for stopping. It's hard to imagine a factory setup with a brake kit on an X5, it's almost as if you MUST start modding because of the ability to stop so quick. And usually brake upgrades are more for repeated use and quick dissipation of heat, so unless you're going to be extremely hard on brakes, an upgrade isn't necessary.