Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4
Drilled rotors

Took my new (used) Z4 to the mechanic yesterday since I knew it was going to need new brakes... he told me when he inspected it before I bought it. Anyway, he called and said the front needed new rotors and for $50/more per rotor, I was able to change from blanks to cast drilled rotors. I just did the front. Is that going to look odd?

I know the performance different won't matter - I'm not going drag racing or to the mille miglia but I think they look cool. Thoughts? I'm probably going to get the calipers eventually powder coated to red - just like the look. Purely cosmetic.
Ads by Google
Old 02-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Not at all. The front brake's do most of the stopping anyway.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4
You ever look back at your old posts and just see one typo after another? Frustrating...

They look nice - I might switch to drilled rear ones, eventually, but there's no rush. Again, purely cosmetic.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
There are many cars from the factory that use drilled rotors in front but not in the rear. It will look fine. Be ready to hear more noise than you are used to from blanks though(it's just the nature of drilled rotors).
Old 02-16-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3
I want to do that to my Z3, maybe next time around ? As for the noise, its kind~a cool if you are a car guy that likes a little noise.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
The problem with aftermarket drilled rotors, is the inexpensive ones are.... wait for it.... cheap. They develop cracks and/or fractures if not properly cared for and monitored. In this instance, you pay for what you get.....
I am not telling you 'not to do it' and I am not telling you 'do it'. I just want you to make some informed choices.

The BMW Z4 has a much better balanced fore/aft brake bias arrangement than some other BMW models or car manufactures. The rears do work harder on this car.

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 02-17-2013, 12:38 PM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Even the expensive ones develop cracks.

Brake bias has nothing to do with how hard the rears work with modern ABS. Weight transfer and tire traction are the limiting factors.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)

Last edited by Pinecone; 02-17-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
I'm fan of using blanks and like Kryo'd blanks probably the best. No bling just bang for the buck.