Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
Need advice - faulty 135i, service issues

I just bought a used 2011 135i with 6,715 miles on it for $32,900. I had it for three days, and the "check engine soon" light went on. This was a big purchase for me and I was so excited.

I drove about 80 miles in those three days. I took it immediately back to the dealer. I'm really worried I either bought a lemon or the dealer is incredibly incompetent or both.

It's still under warranty. Here are the events so far:

Feb 1: brought car home
Feb 4: "service engine soon" light went on
Feb 5: took car to dealer in the morning, in the afternoon they say they need to reprogram the computer
Feb 6: dealer says they are struggling to reprogram the computer and they need a new actuator for the cam shaft (?)
Feb 7: they forgot to order the part that attaches the actuator so had to order that
Feb 8: dealer wasn't able to get the computer to communicate with the new actuator, told me they couldn't even start the car now. Also, their systems were down.
Feb 9/10: weekend, so no updates
Feb 11: called dealer, the service guy working on the car was off and the systems were down so they weren't able to give me an update. I am so frustrated by this point I don't know what to do.
Feb 12: dealer calls and says they've been talking to BMWNA and they are going to send a new computer from NJ. Car is still dead in the water.
Feb 13: no update
Feb 14: dealer says computer will arrive in a few days, best estimate car will be ready Feb 21

The VIN is WBAUC9C56BVM09000. I'm wondering if the dealer sold me a car they knew to be faulty and not sure how I can prove that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
doesn't look good what did the car fax say about the car history?

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App
Old 02-14-2013, 10:48 PM

The Carfax didn't report any issues or problems. It was a dealer demo for 4 months and it looks like it's been sitting around in the dealer's inventory for the last 5 months before I bought it.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 PM

wow that sucks hard to believe they didn't know about it. i did hear horror stories about demo cars a few months back though. long as its covered under warranty i wouldn't worry too much.though the fact it's a demo worries me slightly though

Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
I doubt the car is a lemon. It sounds like an incompetent service tech. Be patient. They'll get it straightened out eventually.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:35 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
If you have a note on the car one months payment from the dealer would not be too much to ask.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 02-15-2013, 02:53 PM

Does anyone have experience with a dealer paying for an extended warranty in a case like this? I have no confidence in this vehicle or the dealer's ability to fix it in a way that won't lead to more problems.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JPR View Post
Does anyone have experience with a dealer paying for an extended warranty in a case like this? I have no confidence in this vehicle or the dealer's ability to fix it in a way that won't lead to more problems.
do you have another dealer you can take it to?

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Dead actuator / vanos solenoid + computer..... Common problem with bm cars

Not surprise me

It Sux .... Hope it s fixed soon
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Thanks for everyone's replies. I have an update. The new computer arrived early yesterday morning, and they jumped on it immediately (probably because I finally got through to a sales manager that morning and conveyed my quickly escalating frustration). I was able to pick it up at the end of the day. They are covering two months of my payments for the hassle. Since I have a working car in hand now, I feel two months payments is a fair deal. They also promised to fight for us if the car does need to be bought back by BMWNA under lemon laws. Just words, I know, but it was what I needed to hear. I still think this dealer's service dept is incompetent, so will need to go elsewhere in the future. Now, it's just a matter of hoping that there are no more major problems. Because, man is it a fun car to drive.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
1 series 6 cyl in a serious fun car

as fun as a BOXTER
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JPR View Post
Thanks for everyone's replies. I have an update. The new computer arrived early yesterday morning, and they jumped on it immediately (probably because I finally got through to a sales manager that morning and conveyed my quickly escalating frustration). I was able to pick it up at the end of the day. They are covering two months of my payments for the hassle. Since I have a working car in hand now, I feel two months payments is a fair deal. They also promised to fight for us if the car does need to be bought back by BMWNA under lemon laws. Just words, I know, but it was what I needed to hear. I still think this dealer's service dept is incompetent, so will need to go elsewhere in the future. Now, it's just a matter of hoping that there are no more major problems. Because, man is it a fun car to drive.
glad to hear it.hope it works out from here on