Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 Coupe
Code readers

Looking to buy a code reader for my 6er...any recommendations?

sent from my HTC Evo

Advertisement
Old 04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMW View Post
Looking to buy a code reader for my 6er...any recommendations?

sent from my HTC Evo
I've been using the actron CP9125. It'll output the code, in which you will still need to look up online. I think it was 20-30 bucks at the local autoparts store (got mine at pepboys)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
The luxury version is to use a laptop and the Diagnostic Tool from Bavarian Technic. ($287) It will read codes from custom BMW specific modules unlike generic OBDII scan tools. Things like airbag warning lights can be reset and battery registration can be done. Generic code readers cannot reset airbags etc...

Next best is probably the Peake R5/FCX3 Scan Tool. ($150) It works OK for simple stuff and will read a few custom modules. Peake sells a separate tool for airbag resets.

If you are technical you can try to get Progman/DIS working and buy a INPA K+DCAN cable for ~$110. Here is a link to the best cable on the market. Then you can do just about anything the dealer can when it comes to reading codes and resetting. If you are brave you can even use NCS Expert to program the car to turn off things like the seatbealt reminder chime etc...
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 04-25-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: link to K+DCAN cable
Old 04-19-2011, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645 Coupe
Thanks for the insight guys...very helpful.

sent from my HTC Evo

Old 08-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Is the Bavarian Technic still the best option? I had successfully setup DIS on my laptop but it has not worked recently and I am not willing to spend too much more time on that. I want a new simple scan tool. I bought the ELM327 module. It's seemed toy like. Is Bavarian still the best for $300 or less as of 8/2012? My needs are simple trouble shooting, reset and general pre service home inspection. I see that I can also code with the Bavarian Technic model. That is great because with DIS I cannot do that. Thanks.

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Last edited by JlMMY; 08-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
DIS is the way to go. It is not user friendly, but very powerful. As Yorgi said, you can do anything the dealer can do, but you have to invest some time. Having the ability to troubleshoot & repair, is better than simply reading codes. BMW pretty much has their own code language, so a code reader is pretty useless. Read below for more info.

Good Luck

http://www.bmwcoding.com/
Old 02-10-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Black Sapphire 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
The luxury version is to use a laptop and the Diagnostic Tool from Bavarian Technic. ($287) It will read codes from custom BMW specific modules unlike generic OBDII scan tools. Things like airbag warning lights can be reset and battery registration can be done. Generic code readers cannot reset airbags etc...

Next best is probably the Peake R5/FCX3 Scan Tool. ($150) It works OK for simple stuff and will read a few custom modules. Peake sells a separate tool for airbag resets.

If you are technical you can try to get Progman/DIS working and buy a INPA K+DCAN cable for ~$110. Here is a link to the best cable on the market. Then you can do just about anything the dealer can when it comes to reading codes and resetting. If you are brave you can even use NCS Expert to program the car to turn off things like the seatbealt reminder chime etc...
Yorgi-

I 've been reading up on the Peake Scan Tools. It's a little confusing figuring out which one I need.

Indy shops want to charge $130 bucks to reset SRS light. (came on after after completing valve cover/timing gasket job at which some point battery went dead; recharged batt but airbag light still on ) Yet, when someone is sitting in passenger seat, warning chime still sounds. I'm thinking sensor must be ok but fault just needs clearing.

Can you give me specific Peake Scan tool for engine codes and SRS reset tool?

2005 645ci

Thank you.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
I don't have this particular version but BMTechnic's version of INPA/DIS is definitely the best solution by far. It's a neat software install package & cable that you install on a Windows XP/7 laptop, preferable a 32 bit one.
The website is http://www.bmtechnic.co.uk

You can get the software elsewhere & different cales on EBay but from what I have seen this is the simplest install available.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Black Sapphire 645ci
Thanks. I was thinking of the simplest method/ quickest to reset. I'm on the road a lot without my laPtop and I may not have convenient access to computer/Internet. A scan tool could easily be key in the glOve compartment.
I'm just trying to choose the best one for engine codes and SES resets.
Any alternative suggestions?
Old 02-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
iPhone/Android Diagnostic solution

If you have an iPhone or an Android you could consider the BMWhat app with a WiFi OBD dongle:

http://www.ivini-apps.com/bmwhat-bmw-diagnosis.html

This is different to most of the hand held code readers because this one read some of the BMW specofoc DTCs.

If you are not going for a laptop based system & have the right phone then this is the one you should go for.

The app is 44.99 (or US $60) & the WiFi OBD dongle is US $119 (may be cheaper ones available).

Here's a compatible WiFi OBD dongle:

http://plxdevices.com/product_info.php?id=GSSTWIFI
You might need to do further research on this, I have not tried it myself as I only discovered it myself very recently. Not cheap, but it is the next best thing to a laptop based system.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
A peake tool is not going to work in this case for the SRS (goes only up to the year 2002)

You best bet would still be the Bavarian
http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/D...n_Technic.html

or the Autoenginuity
http://www.bimmerzone.com/Diagnostic...ST06-EI07.html

these 2 tools are the more consumer, user friendly tools but of course not as powerful as DIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaknificent View Post
Yorgi-

I 've been reading up on the Peake Scan Tools. It's a little confusing figuring out which one I need.

Indy shops want to charge $130 bucks to reset SRS light. (came on after after completing valve cover/timing gasket job at which some point battery went dead; recharged batt but airbag light still on ) Yet, when someone is sitting in passenger seat, warning chime still sounds. I'm thinking sensor must be ok but fault just needs clearing.

Can you give me specific Peake Scan tool for engine codes and SRS reset tool?

2005 645ci

Thank you.

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!