Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0/LX-570/IS-F/560SL
Installed Z4 M steering w/ paddles

When I found out that paddles can be fitted to the M-steering wheels, I decided to pickup one for my daughter from Tischer. The one I received has red & blue stitching, also has the multimedia controls.
I wasn't sure at first what to do with the spokes, the black rubberized ones seem to wear poorly (i.e. peeling), and I couldn't find the correct 6 o'clock spoke in the brush finish that would fit the M-wheel (that spoke tapers differently & is slightly longer than the M's).
However, once I pulled everything apart, the decision was sort of made for me, one of the connectors from the original control pods has one more wire than the M's, so I decided to use the silver pods and figured the pods may look odd if mated to black spokes, so I used all the original horizontal spokes, besides, I needed the cut-outs in the back for the paddles. I suppose I could have swap wiring harness, but those miniature connectors are hard to separate and easily destroyed.
The M-wheel has dimples to index for mounting the paddles, so I only had to drill one hole on each spoke, then 2 more for index/alignment.
Put everything back and drove for a bit, the thicker wheel is certainly a pleasure to use, slightly out of place with mixing spokes, I will just have to figure out what to do next.

Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 01:16 AM
Forever Fast

Mein Auto: '06 M Coupe, '08 K12S
Good work! Looks great.

This could be an option:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796800

Or you could wrap yourself (or get them wrapped) I suppose.
2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC (OZ spec) - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
duh
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)

Last edited by bten; 02-17-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: stupid respnse..... I thought the car waw a Z4M
Old 02-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
The bottom spoke can be modified to work with the M wheel. You have to use a dremel on the backside of the spoke to thin it a bit. There is a thread on here somewhere about how to do it. Looks good and great job figuring out how to mount the paddles.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...g+wheel+spokes

Last edited by chickdr; 02-17-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
The bottom spoke can be modified to work with the M wheel. You have to use a dremel on the backside of the spoke to thin it a bit. There is a thread on here somewhere about how to do it. Looks good and great job figuring out how to mount the paddles.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...g+wheel+spokes
Appreciate the link, I saw that before but was a bit apprehensive to dremel the plastic that I cannot get a replacement by itself, apparently BMW sells the spoke pieces by the set. I actually found part number for the black ones with the back pieces relieved to accept the paddles, but they cannot be ordered in the U.S.

I may very well end up modding the silver 6 o'clock piece in the end, depending when my daughter starts bugging me. To be honest, the M-whell feels even better than the one I have on the IS-F except it is not perforated. However, the M-wheel takes away some of the harshness when compared to the original wheel on the 3.0 si.

Last edited by sclui56; 02-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Not entirely happy with the mixing of spokes, went back in and used all the black pieces, except for the back since the M pieces did not have cut-outs for mounting the paddles. Will leave it as is for now.