Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 E39 & 2005 645 ci
Fixing Run Flat Tires

Just an FYI. I had a nail punture my left rear run flat. Removed it with pliers and was able to repair it with a standard tire repair (plug) kit.
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
That is what I did, with no problems. Tire dealers will usually not do this, to sell new tires. I always carry a plug kit in all my cars!
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Glad that you did not have to purchase a new tire. As long as the puncture is in the tread area, it should be repairable under most circumstances.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
Plug kit wouldn't fix this! Ask me how I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	361898  
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 BMW 650i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
Plug kit wouldn't fix this! Ask me how I know.
Wouldn't fix this either.. Not my photo but had the same thing on a rear bridgestone potenza last year

Old 02-15-2013, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650i, 07 530i, 06 330i
I recently plugged a back tire on my 650i. It still leaked air over time so I had it patched at NTB for $20 here in TN.

Since patching, no loss of air and all is good. I'm sure many shops will say they can't patch run flats. I hate run flats by the way.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I love my runflats

Since our car is a daily driver for my Wife it has eliminated the "honey my tire is flat and I am stuck" call that I invariable get when I am out of town and can't do anything about it. Now the car tells her the tire is low and I tell her keep on driving, she only works 4 miles away from the house so no worries.

Not to mention I have the Tire/Rim Road Hazard program sold to me by the dealer. It was $1000 and 5 years, so far I have had 3 new tires, 2 because of nail/screw puncture and 1 because of pothole damage that also destroyed the rim. On two of the tires they were probably a little over half used up, got brand new ones...

The third one was brand new rear tire I had just bought, it was replaced when it had a nail, so it goes.

Last edited by tampamark; 02-17-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650i, 07 530i, 06 330i
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I love my runflats

...I have the IAS Road Hazard program sold to me by the dealer. It was $1000 and 5 years, so far I have had 3 new tires, 2 because of nail/screw puncture and 1 because of pothole damage that also destroyed the rim.
$1000/3 tires = $333 per tire.

That doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. My last nail cost $20 to fix (see prior post). To each his own but I'd rather spend $1000 on something other than tire insurance.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold323Ci View Post

That doesn't sound like much of a deal to me. My last nail cost $20 to fix (see prior post). To each his own but I'd rather spend $1000 on something other than tire insurance.
It's insurance... So depends on what your thoughts are on "what if" scenarios. I have that warranty as well. It also protects rims as well. My buddy cracked a rim twice on his 750i due to a pothole and had it replaced no problem.

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 02-16-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold323Ci View Post

I guess you misunderstood my point, if I had not had insurance I would have repaired in a similar fashion, regardless I would still have runflats. I would have taken it to get patched though. But why should I when I have a tire hazard program? As it was, a tire that was already over half way used up (about 9 months old) was instead replaced with a new one.

Most of the complaints about runflats are that they are expensive and cannot be repaired (supposedly), along with ride quality. I find the ride quality fine, but I did come from a Boxster so this thing drives like a big comfy Cadillac to me.

I didn't go through all my claims, I also had 1 rim repaired, then all 4 replaced. Two earler last year and the other two this year. They are M6 rims...this is what it looked like when both the left side rims were bent. Since the rims were munched the car was thumping down the road, too far to drive to the dealer. But my Wife was able to finish her drive to work, and managed to drive it home after trading out cars with her.

Does this help the math?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Munched rims.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	362542  

Last edited by tampamark; 02-16-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
I guess you misunderstood my point, if I had not had insurance I would have repaired in a similar fashion, regardless I would still have runflats. I would have taken it to get patched though. But why should I when I have a tire hazard program? As it was, a tire that was already over half way used up (about 9 months old) was instead replaced with a new one.

Most of the complaints about runflats are that they are expensive and cannot be repaired (supposedly), along with ride quality. I find the ride quality fine, but I did come from a Boxster so this thing drives like a big comfy Cadillac to me.

I didn't go through all my claims, I also had 1 rim repaired, then all 4 replaced. Two earler last year and the other two this year. They are M6 rims...this is what it looked like when both the left side rims were bent. Since the rims were munched the car was thumping down the road, too far to drive to the dealer. But my Wife was able to finish her drive to work, and managed to drive it home after trading out cars with her.

Does this help the math?

Mark if I may ask, what caused the damage to all of the rims?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvN View Post
Wouldn't fix this either.. Not my photo but had the same thing on a rear bridgestone potenza last year

That is not repairable at all.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM

To the OP, sorry we got off topic a bit here, didn't mean to hijack your thread. From what I have read the reason they don't repair runflats is because the repair facility cannot determine how far and long you drove on the flat tire. So if you had driven for near the max the tire is compromised. So the policy is not to repair. Obviously, if you didn't drive on the non-inflated tire then repairing would be fine. I will do the same when my Hazard program is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Mark if I may ask, what caused the damage to all of the rims?
All potholes. Unfortunately when it rains you get water on the road and you can't see the holes as they are filled with water. Or my Wife is aiming for them...

The first incident that required a rim repair was a pothole that caught the inside edge and bent it a bit. They were able to rework it and round it back out.

The second incident was both rims on the left side, it was a pothole once again, caught the outer edges and bent both rims back like freakin' cans. Also, it destroyed one of the tires at the sidewall. So one of three tire replacements I had was a non-repairable for any tire type.

The third incident we are not sure, the right side rear rim was losing air and it turned out to be a crack in the rim along the barrel. Figured it was an impact from a pothole also, it was replaced. I never thought about checking the front rim, but in hindsight whatever munched the back would have impacted the front also and I should have checked it then. The next week we noticed a slow leak in the front, it was bent on the inside lip. It could not be reworked so it was replaced.

All I can say is that my Road Hazard program has paid me back in spades. The good news is that I still close to 2 years left on the plan, my $1000 got me a 5 year coverage!!!

Last edited by tampamark; 02-16-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
To the OP, sorry we got off topic a bit here, didn't mean to hijack your thread. From what I have read the reason they don't repair runflats is because the repair facility cannot determine how far and long you drove on the flat tire. So if you had driven for near the max the tire is compromised. So the policy is not to repair. Obviously, if you didn't drive on the non-inflated tire then repairing would be fine. I will do the same when my Hazard program is over.

All potholes. Unfortunately when it rains you get water on the road and you can't see the holes as they are filled with water. Or my Wife is aiming for them...

The first incident that required a rim repair was a pothole that caught the inside edge and bent it a bit. They were able to rework it and round it back out.

The second incident was both rims on the left side, it was a pothole once again, caught the outer edges and bent both rims back like freakin' cans. Also, it destroyed one of the tires at the sidewall. So one of three tire replacements I had was a non-repairable for any tire type.

The third incident we are not sure, the right side rear rim was losing air and it turned out to be a crack in the rim along the barrel. Figured it was an impact from a pothole also, it was replaced. I never thought about checking the front rim, but in hindsight whatever munched the back would have impacted the front also and I should have checked it then. The next week we noticed a slow leak in the front, it was bent on the inside lip. It could not be reworked so it was replaced.

All I can say is that my Road Hazard program has paid me back in spades. The good news is that I still close to 2 years left on the plan, my $1000 got me a 5 year coverage!!!
Good thing that you have insurance as the genuine M6 wheels are not cheap. I always worry about road hazards and I avoid driving the 6 in the rain as potholes can't be seen when filled with water. It's just crazy to hear how many wheels you went through, especially how the M6 wheels are forged.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2000 View Post
It's insurance... So depends on what your thoughts are on "what if" scenarios. I have that warranty as well. It also protects rims as well. My buddy cracked a rim twice on his 750i due to a pothole and had it replaced no problem.
I still have close to 2 years left on my program. So far I have had the following in claims:

3 tires replaced
4 rims replaced
1 rim repaired

I am sure they hate me. The reason I got it is that on my previous Porsche we ended up going through several tires due to hazard damage and those tires were half the cost. So it was a calculated gamble whether the $1000 was going to be a waste or not. I say the same thing about when I paid more for CPO, while I got more than my money's worth in repairs I am not sure that I am fortunate or unfortunate?

Last edited by tampamark; 02-17-2013 at 08:43 AM.