Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Red

Seriously, you made a comment about white light, but what color do you think light should be?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Seriously, you made a comment about white light, but what color do you think light should be?
Same as incandescent bulbs.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
Same as incandescent bulbs.
you can get bulbs in various different kelvin ratings - for most people buy the color they want by the name...

2700K Warm white (and matches filament lamps)
3200K GE Reveal
3500K White
4000K-4500K Cool white
5000K-6000K Daylight

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
you can get bulbs in various different kelvin ratings - for most people buy the color they want by the name...

2700K Warm white (and matches filament lamps)
3200K GE Reveal
3500K White
4000K-4500K Cool white
5000K-6000K Daylight
Gotcha.

http://ext.homedepot.com/shopping-to...mperature.html

Ah, I'm a daylight person.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:42 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
No wing nut. There are two little metal peices on either side of the socket that you squeeze and push (or pull) to adjust for different bulb depths. I tried again last night and couldn't get the ecosmart to work.

Either I am still missing something or they just aren't compatible with my fixtures
Hey Mel
did you get this figured out?
You have some real "builder grade" trims on your lights. You need to pull the whole trim down and replace it with something like the Sylvania's shown earlier. The whole housing will pull down, socket and all if you retrofit the whole shebang. Then you squeeze the tabs on the socket to release it from the housing and screw your adaptor in.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.

Last edited by Frank Rizzo; 02-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I've been at Home Depot ysterday, bought a florescent piece for the kitchen. Oh the horror!

Anyway... I saw this, and took some pictures for you, Melissa.

Looks like your size and price range.

These are the typical clips that hold it in place. You just need to pull it out until it gives, and then snaps out.

CREE inside. The CRI is 90! That's high. A very good color quality.

Thought you might want to take a look at these. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.USB1oaU4tJk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0412.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	362671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0413.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	362672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0414.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	362673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0415.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	362674  

Last edited by MatWiz; 02-17-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Hey Mel
did you get this figured out?
You have some real "builder grade" trims on your lights. You need to pull the whole trim down and replace it with something like the Sylvania's shown earlier. The whole housing will pull down, socket and all if you retrofit the whole shebang. Then you squeeze the tabs on the socket to release it from the housing and screw your adaptor in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
I've been at Home Depot ysterday, bought a florescent piece for the kitchen. Oh the horror!

Anyway... I saw this, and took some pictures for you, Melissa.

Looks like your size and price range.

These are the typical clips that hold it in place. You just need to pull it out until it gives, and then snaps out.

Thought you might want to take a look at these. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.USB1oaU4tJk
Thank you both. I just returned from the attic where I can see the entire light fixture. The recessed fixture looks like it is entirely a one piece unit. It doesn't look like it separates and comes apart so I can use the EcoSmart. I have one of the Costco LEDs (pictured earlier) that I am going to install today. I may also buy one of the Lowes Utilitech bulbs and see which I like better.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Mat- That's the one I have been talking about. They are fantastic. I also just tried the 4" LED bulbs that don't have the trim ring but are still frosted glass. I'm also impressed, they are bright and have a very good natural color. They are also made by Eco

2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
2011 550ix M sport (gone)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
HolyMoly - I never knew deciding on lighting was this hard.

Mel, are you done? Pictures?

I'm deciding on either 4" cans 3 ft apart on each side, or 3" cans 2.5 ft apart. I like the way the smaller ones look. Ceiling ht is 9 ft.

White trim? Brushed nickel trim? Or black trim?
Oh the pain- the agony
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
HolyMoly - I never knew deciding on lighting was this hard.

Mel, are you done? Pictures?
Neither did I

None of the retro kits (ecosmart/Sylvania seem to fit). I am testing out the Costco Feit bulb (pictured in this thread). It has a slight delay when it comes on and it's a bit brighter than I need so it's not an ideal solution. Lowe's no longer has the BR40 size LEDS that I linked in an earlier post, so I my choices are either Costco bulbs, $40 + bulbs at Lowes/HD or do nothing (stick with incandescent) and wait for one of the stores to carry a new product.

For now, testing the Costco bulb and waiting..
Old 02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Psychology Reversalist

I was going through the same headache of finding a LED. Then I just gave up and got a new fluorescent unit to replace my dying one.

I just think that this technology is JUST starting to become mainstream. My guess is that a year from now things will start looking much better for the consumers.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 PM

My 4 inch recessed pot lights finally went in today. I put regular light bulbs in 2 of them and then LED flood lights (soft white) in another two and compared them side by side. I'm dissapointed by how dim they are. Theyre Philips Par20 bulbs, 7w LEDs (comparable to 50w). To make matters worse my trim will make them further dimmed. They have black baffles.

I also have 3 inch halogens using MR16 on the dropped bulk ceiling and they are by far brighter than my LEDs.

So if anyone is looking for more light and want to go from halogen to LED should by one or two first and compare them.

Lucky for me I will also have lighing in the glass door cabinets as well as 4 halogens on a dropped ceiling and under cabinet LED lighting so hopefully it will make up for the cozy warm dimmed kitchen lighting.

Btw, anyone put pot lights 18 inches away from wall cabinets? I think mine are going to cast a shadow when standing over the countertop.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
My 4 inch recessed pot lights finally went in today. I put regular light bulbs in 2 of them and then LED flood lights (soft white) in another two and compared them side by side. I'm dissapointed by how dim they are. Theyre Philips Par20 bulbs, 7w LEDs (comparable to 50w). To make matters worse my trim will make them further dimmed. They have black baffles.

I also have 3 inch halogens using MR16 on the dropped bulk ceiling and they are by far brighter than my LEDs.

So if anyone is looking for more light and want to go from halogen to LED should by one or two first and compare them.

Lucky for me I will also have lighing in the glass door cabinets as well as 4 halogens on a dropped ceiling and under cabinet LED lighting so hopefully it will make up for the cozy warm dimmed kitchen lighting.

Btw, anyone put pot lights 18 inches away from wall cabinets? I think mine are going to cast a shadow when standing over the countertop.
Yeah, 4" LEDs cans are too weak for my tastes- and they are very pricey. I love 4" LED bulbs in a 6" can and/or the ecosmart 6" bulbs with built in trim. Looks as good if not better than standard bulbs and doesn't cost a ton...

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Psychology Reversalist

You always need to compare lumens, not watts. They sometimes tell you BS with the wattage, but lumens don't lie.

Wattage is how much electricity the light bulb consumes. Lumens is how much light it produces.

It's like telling you that this engine consumes 10 mpg. That doesn't mean that the engine produces 500 hp. Right? It only means that this engine is very inefficient. You want to know what HP it gives you. Lumens.

Last edited by MatWiz; 03-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
Quote:

over my kitchen sink I pulled out two 18W PL compact fluorescent bulbs in 4 inch cans with clear specular reflectors and replaced them with these Sylvania 4" 9watt 550 lumen retrofit kits from Lowes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7EHEXPR6G45938

Even with the reflector, a lot of the light was getting lost in the old fixture and on the way down. Since the bulb points down on the LED, all of the light is going in the right direction and the end result is much more light in the work area. Im really pleased. It is hard right now to find a good 4" retrofit kit.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 AM

I'm at the poi t where I think LEDs are not there yet - CFLs are so much better than incandescent and are a decent price - LEDs are 4-6 times the CFL price and do not save much more electricity / $$

In 3-4 years LEDs will be a decent price I hope with more choices - until then I will just watch the prices I think.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 AM
I just don't get it?

Mein Auto: 335xi, Mini, Renegade
Though not quite in the same fashion, I've been working on replacing the lighting for my reef tank to LED.

So far, I've replaced 440W of VHO lighting, with equivalent 148W of LED, and 80W of CF lighting with 16W of LED.

While I may be getting some savings in the energy side, I'm still running 900W of Metal Halide lighting with this. My main savings is in the bulb replacement, where I'm spending $80.00 in new bulbs every 9 month.

Here's the old VHO...

And the new LED strips...

While this lighting was $800, it gives off very nice lighting in the tank. Well worth it. I'm currently looking at LED pendants to replace the Metal Halides

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
2008 BMW 335xi
2006 MINI Cooper S Convertible
2011 Ford Edge Limited
Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm at the poi t where I think LEDs are not there yet - CFLs are so much better than incandescent and are a decent price - LEDs are 4-6 times the CFL price and do not save much more electricity / $$

In 3-4 years LEDs will be a decent price I hope with more choices - until then I will just watch the prices I think.
I absolutely hate CFLs. They have the worst color renditioning and take forever to actually work. There is nothing good about waiting 2 minutes in the dark waiting for a light to turn on. With the current LED pricing at $20-25 a bulb they are reasonable enough. With their significantly longer life they are on par with CFLs in cost. And the technology is as good if not better than incandescents.

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM

I should have said that CFLs are so much better in terms of electricity usage - I agree the warm up is a pain. The replcaement bulbs for my cans are $45 - I'm not spending $45 on LED when the CFLs 9-12 - with 12 getting a REALLY good spectrum cfl - the led is only half the electrical consumption of the cfl though.

On the reef tank - are you finding anything that will put out the par of your halides? I haven't yet - but our tank is deep - and the leds cannot do that as yet - we have 1200 watts of halides - and yes, they are pricey - $90 a bulb every 9 months TIMES THREE. Just put in 3 new bulbs - one broke in 3 weeks -t he replacement won't fire up - 12k radium bulbs this time... grrrr...

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM

What kind of cans/bulbs do you have?

2013 SL63 AMG black....
Old 03-10-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
Yeah, 4" LEDs cans are too weak for my tastes- and they are very pricey. I love 4" LED bulbs in a 6" can and/or the ecosmart 6" bulbs with built in trim. Looks as good if not better than standard bulbs and doesn't cost a ton...
My taste for LED PLs have also greatly diminshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
You always need to compare lumens, not watts. They sometimes tell you BS with the wattage, but lumens don't lie.

Wattage is how much electricity the light bulb consumes. Lumens is how much light it produces.

It's like telling you that this engine consumes 10 mpg. That doesn't mean that the engine produces 500 hp. Right? It only means that this engine is very inefficient. You want to know what HP it gives you. Lumens.
I wish I had known this prior to dropping almost $300 on what's going to be now useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
over my kitchen sink I pulled out two 18W PL compact fluorescent bulbs in 4 inch cans with clear specular reflectors and replaced them with these Sylvania 4" 9watt 550 lumen retrofit kits from Lowes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7EHEXPR6G45938

Even with the reflector, a lot of the light was getting lost in the old fixture and on the way down. Since the bulb points down on the LED, all of the light is going in the right direction and the end result is much more light in the work area. Im really pleased. It is hard right now to find a good 4" retrofit kit.
I was looking at something similar to those but they didn't come in black baffle and the ones you have have the bulb out more as compared to the trim that I have where the bulb is further recessed.

Quote:

They'll probably get better with time but in mst other lighting they are great. Just in pot lights compared to other bulbs they're not all that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilner View Post
I absolutely hate CFLs. They have the worst color renditioning and take forever to actually work. There is nothing good about waiting 2 minutes in the dark waiting for a light to turn on. With the current LED pricing at $20-25 a bulb they are reasonable enough. With their significantly longer life they are on par with CFLs in cost. And the technology is as good if not better than incandescents.
+1
To be honest I don't think I'd use CFL's if you paid my hydro bill every month and plus some. I hate the ugly white light it radiates and the wait-time for it to become bright.

Last edited by mj745; 03-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:13 AM

The pot light on the left, on the bulk ceiling are 4 3" mr16's. The ones on the higher ceiling 6 4" recessed pot lights (with nickle finished trim and black baffle to be placed after painting). You can only see 4, but there are 6 in total. In the last row, on the right hand side is a Philips Par20 crystallized bulb, on the left is a regular incodescent 60w bulb. The centre row of 2 pot lights are Philips Par20 7w bulbs. None of them are dimmed and are at their brightest. The LEDs show an obvious weak and super dimmed lighting when compared to the others. I'll be putting aside all the LEDs and installing the Philips Par20 crystallized bulbs. What a bummer!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM

it's a bummer that LED won't work for those really high cans you have there - save getting up on a ladder or sending someone up there for a very long time!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
You see, here's the problem. I looked up these on Phillips website, under "specifications" and they DON'T give the lumens. Mark that out as "highly suspicious".

Then I looked them up on "1000bulbs.com" and they are marked as 280 lumens.

Then on the same website I typed "50 watt incandescent bulb" and hit search. I got THIS (http://1000bulbs.com/search/?q=50+wa...ndescent+bulbs). one bulb 400 lumens, a few 550, one 560, one 580.

Now you tell me. Isn't 280 exactly HALF of a 50 watts lightbulb? I told you. Wattage is BS and they are lying to the customers.

On the other hand, here is a PAR20 LED, 9W, that produces 540 lumens. Twice what you have now. http://1000bulbs.com/product/69964/T...6P2041KFL.html

Last edited by MatWiz; 03-11-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
[QUOTE=Emilner;7432937] There is nothing good about waiting 2 minutes in the dark waiting for a light to turn on./QUOTE]

What kind of crap CFL does that? I've bought the cheapest sale CFLs and they come on instantly. Even my 4' FL (with electronic ballasts) come on instantly in my garage at 20F. Its not like the old school mechanical ballasts that wouldn't work when cold.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................