Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to MoldCAD
Mein Auto: 528i xDrive
2013 528ix: summary after 1 month / 5k km

OK - so I'm not going to write a long review of this car (there's plenty of them in the net, including a couple on this forum). Instead, I'd like to share with you fellow F10 users some observations after having done some 5k kms during the first month of ownership...

1. Power vs. Fuel Efficiency: yes it's a bit underpowered, but still full of vigor. I find myself using the Sport mode (most often with paddles) most of the time (even in D, it never goes as low as 1100 rpm, so sudden accelerations on those narrow and crowdy Polish roads are much quicker/safer, with the engine at almost 2000 rpm minimum). Driving at up to 200 kmph (motorways) and 140 kmph (regular roads), and always accelerating at full power, I'm getting some 9.4 lp100km (or 25Mpg) average consumption. Far worse than those official BMW's figures, but not that bad at all - my old E46 drank the same with similar driving style, but it was some 300+ kgs less heavy.

2. At motorway high speeds, I find the F10 body quite susceptible to side wind; in fact it's sometimes difficult to maintain straight line! Didn't expect this; well - never had such a big car before so I guess it's just a matter of getting used to...

Disclaimer: no, it's not the dreaded "pulling to the right" phenomenon; nothing like that (luckily)

3. I find the Comfort+ mode (coming with EDC) a live/ass-saver on some roads - engaging it makes this car so comfortable in spite of the bumps! Also nice for cruising (which I don't do much of, anyway)

4. Speaking of the "Driver Experience" modes: using the SAT's stick in M/S mode (as opposed to the steering wheel paddles) from time to time, I've found it very dangerous that - after returning the stick to the right for D mode, when I need sudden acceleration I'd move it forward to downshift; what happens then is the transmission goes into Neutral, and instead of full acceleration I have the engine revving like crazy (rather than pulling forward). I find it one of the most basic and dangerous design flow; it's so easy to forget which mode the SAT is at the moment that it should take some additional action to even be able to shift from D to N (perhaps the side button, just like when you go from P to D or R)?

Disclaimer: perhaps for most of you guys used to (S)AT the above is moot, but I'm coming from SMG - stick-shifting up and down with it would never put the transmission into neutral!

5. X-drive: after getting used to (I'm coming from 40 years of driving RWD), I find it not bad at all. Certainly, it can be a live-saver in deep snow; in normal driving on slippery roads it has its little quirks - like understeering at very low speeds. But I've already learnt how to harness it with normal and high speeds - can even do nice, fully-lateral and graceful slides in Sport+ mode

6. Minor gripes are: the wipers' rain sensor being rubbish, and the HB lights rather weak and still aimed too high (even after adjustment by my dealer)

All in all, a very nice car - after the short break-in period, we begin to love each other

Welcome to a discussion!

Piotr

Last edited by MoldCAD; 02-16-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i xDrive
MoldCAD....Nice post....I have a 2013 528i xdrive as well and love it! Mine has the cinnamon interior and it's beautiful! One question for you: you mention Comfort +..... I have Comfort not Comfort +. Is there a difference?

Mike
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM

Yes, there is a huge difference between Comfort and Comfort+. To have the latter, you need active dumpers (EDC - electronic dumper control). Here in EU, you can pick it as part of the M-sport package (or separate option).

Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
lol @ the 528i being "underpowered".

It's a 1/2 second quicker to 100km than her predecessor. The lighter weight and better weight distribution means it brakes really well and handles like a champ.

Last edited by mryakanisachoad; 02-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:41 AM

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=41

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
I find myself using the Sport mode every now and then when I'm in an aggressive mood but I wouldn't go so far as saying the 528 is underpowered. However, I have RWD and can't say that maybe you feel that it is underpowered due to your 528 being AWD. Something to ponder. I have almost 3k miles on my 528 and absolutely LOVE it. She is BEAUTIFUL inside and out. This is the nicest 5 series I've owned!!!! Our 2013 can outrun the previous straight line 6 clyd and we get better gas mileage - I'm getting a bit over 27mpg - couldn't be happier. LOVE IT

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
i always drive on comfort mode, never had to use sport mode.
happy with it so far, "city biased" mixed driving gives 27 mpg and "highway biased" mixed driving gives 31 mpg. pure highway can go as far as 36-37 MPG
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM

Hmm.... So it looks like everyone is getting considerably higher MPG than me - it might be due to my car being xDrive, or myself being a rather sporty driver, or both. But I must admit I was counting on better economy when picking the N20!

Also, anyone has their thoughts about the other points I outlined - like the SAT stick being able to leave you on N exactly when you need the maximum acceleration? Or side wind instability?

Piotr

Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
4. Speaking of the "Driver Experience" modes: using the SAT's stick in M/S mode (as opposed to the steering wheel paddles) from time to time, I've found it very dangerous that - after returning the stick to the right for D mode, when I need sudden acceleration I'd move it forward to downshift; what happens then is the transmission goes into Neutral, and instead of full acceleration I have the engine revving like crazy (rather than pulling forward). I find it one of the most basic and dangerous design flow; it's so easy to forget which mode the SAT is at the moment that it should take some additional action to even be able to shift from D to N (perhaps the side button, just like when you go from P to D or R)?
First, the DS/manual mode gate works the same way on the standard 8-speed auto as well as SAT. That said, your display on the dash will indicate which mode you're in, "D" or "DS", or "Mx". Suggest glancing there if you can't remember. There is also an LED indicator on the shift lever itself. As far as locking D-to-N, I think this is an industry standard that you can shift from Drive to Neutral at any time without hindrance. It is probably not a specific BMW thing.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Paddles

Does anyone here actually use the 8 speed paddle shifters?

Seems like a lot of gears to keep track of lol.

I haven't tried them yet because I've only clocked ~250 miles and I'm trying to follow the break-in instructions.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
i always drive on comfort mode, never had to use sport mode.
happy with it so far, "city biased" mixed driving gives 27 mpg and "highway biased" mixed driving gives 31 mpg. pure highway can go as far as 36-37 MPG
Wow...36-37 on highway ! I barely manage 33.5 in Eco Pro mode and cruise control engaged. I do a constant 67 or 72. Maybe cos my car is still new or might be because of cold weather.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbrutus View Post
Wow...36-37 on highway ! I barely manage 33.5 in Eco Pro mode and cruise control engaged. I do a constant 67 or 72. Maybe cos my car is still new or might be because of cold weather.
Ethanol?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 13 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
Ethanol?
Lol..pure 93/91 depending on whats available. I hate ethanol with a passion.

I have heated seats, steering, heater running all the time. Its 0-10F here!

Last edited by cyberbrutus; 02-18-2013 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
First, the DS/manual mode gate works the same way on the standard 8-speed auto as well as SAT. That said, your display on the dash will indicate which mode you're in, "D" or "DS", or "Mx". Suggest glancing there if you can't remember. There is also an LED indicator on the shift lever itself. As far as locking D-to-N, I think this is an industry standard that you can shift from Drive to Neutral at any time without hindrance. It is probably not a specific BMW thing.
Yes, I realize all this - and yet I still think going from D to N should be somehow made difficult. When driving aggressively, and often changing the way of shifting (from Auto to M/S to paddles and back to D), it's extremely easy to overlook you're in D, and spontaneously push the stick forward to downshift. I have described what happens then...

Piotr

Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldCAD View Post
Yes, I realize all this - and yet I still think going from D to N should be somehow made difficult. When driving aggressively, and often changing the way of shifting (from Auto to M/S to paddles and back to D), it's extremely easy to overlook you're in D, and spontaneously push the stick forward to downshift. I have described what happens then...

Piotr
Actually, I'm much more concerned that you push the lever forward to downshift, instead of pulling back. I've driven manual transmissions for many years, and for some reason, I find this set-up totally unintuitive. When I use manual mode, I have to continually think about being careful not to push forward to upshift. I think it is because intuitively, I think "up" for upshift (push forward), "down" for downshift (pull back). Thinking about this more, I'm thinking that a 3-2 downshift with a manual trans is one of the most common manuevers when in a "needing power" situation, a "pull downward" procedure, and I wonder if this is what I find confusing. In addition, even automatic transmissions have always been set up to downshift to lower gears by moving the lever downward. I'm talking about the older style P-R-N-D-3-2-1 setup. Always pulling "down" for lower gears. IMO, our BMW setup should have been reversed.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 02-18-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:53 AM

I also drive MT cars a lot, and I find your "habit" intuitive - no problems whatsoever.

However, in BMW AT and SMGs, pushing forward is intentionally made like Reverse (forward). This is because in sporty driving, when you use the engine to decelerate, your body's inertia pushes you forward thus making forward shifts (and more engine breaking) easier. Of course, the rule also applies in the opposite direction, i.e. up-shifting (like from 2 to 3) your're accelerating, your body is thrust backward and your hand moves with it (backwards). Not a problem to grasp this at all.