Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: a few bmw's
RESOLVED: Just replaced alternator & batt light still flickers. What next???

Hey everyone-

For the last several weeks my battery light has flickered for about 2-5 seconds after starting the X5. The light always goes away after several seconds and the truck has run fine. It has always started right up without hesitation, and the battery never drained. The only other symptom was that my PDC would mysteriously turn itself on as soon as I cranked the engine (usually preceeded by a PDC light flicker for a couple of seconds). Unlocking the OBC revealed that I was holding a steady 13.9-14.1 volts while running. Did a lot of thread research here and got some helpful advice along the way... It was suggested that some component(s) inside the alternator was going South, so I decided to just replace the entire alternator.

Anyhoo, replaced the alternator today along with the belts & oil stand gasket, and when I went to start the truck, lo and behold I had the same exact symptoms as before: Flickering battery light for a few seconds immediately after cranking, and then it goes away. Still showing steady 13.9-14.1 volts. I'm assuming I didn't purchase an alternator with an identical malfunction, so now I'm thinking maybe the alternator was never bad in the first place.

Is there any possibility that my battery, even though it is holding charge and starting the truck w/o problem, could be doing something to cause this strange behavior??? I was going replace the battery next but wanted to ask the experts first. At a total loss here so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

Last edited by RenaissanceMan; 03-04-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: update on resolution of problem
Ads by Google