Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 525i sport, premium
OBD 2 codes...

I'm getting 4 codes through auto-zones scanner:

P0365 - camshaft position censor B circuit (bank 1)

P0491 - secondary air injection system (bank 1)

P0492 - secondary air injection system (bank 2)

P0430 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 2)

As for the first code, I ordered a exhaust cam sensor last night, the O.E.M. Sensor that was 1/4 the price. I believe this code is irrelevant to the others.

My secondary air pump is working, or at least making noise. I have inspected the main line and the small line connected to the valve that runs along the back of the engine. I ordered a precat o2 sensor for bank 2, I just have heard mixed things about o2 sensors relating to SAP codes. Wanted to check with you guys and make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Thanks in advance -Sean
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
How do you know the pump is feeding air into the exhaust manifolds? Common failure is a frozen valve.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
How do you know the pump is feeding air into the exhaust manifolds? Common failure is a frozen valve.
i suppose i don't know. that valve along with new lines is my next stop after the o2 sensor. a while back i had both catalyst efficiency below threshold codes thrown, and i was worried it was my catalytic converters. but now that it is only one, i am suspicious the o2 sensor is bad and bank 1 was just on a bad day or something. i see on youtube methods to checking the valve, but @126k im finding that valve could probably use replacement anyways.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 PM

replaced pre cat o2 sensor along with exhaust cam sensor. drove for a couple hours straight and just got back with no SES light. also probably put about 50 miles of in town driving on the car before the 2 hour trip. ill post if anything changes, but i had the codes reset a couple times before i came to the o2 sensor conclusion and both times the SES light came on within 5 min of driving.