Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
Yeah, that was one of the spots I nudged... thanks.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
My nightmare is the scenario you had outlined. A big storm rolls in, try to put the top up and it gets stuck. How ugly would that be if it happened on the open road! If the sensor push worked for you also it gives me some comfort that perhaps we have a "field repair" that works.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM

yeah... that's my worst case scenario as well... running into one of these summer thunderstorms with the top/windows stuck down. I was fortunate this time as it happened in the covered parking garage at my office.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci convertible
I had another episode with the top this morning. I drove to the gym this morning with the top down. After parking at the gym (right in front for all to see of course!!) I proceeded to close the top. When the top was up the lid would not open!! I remembered reading someones post about putting pressure on the inside frame right above the driverside back seat. After doing this, the lid opened and it worked as normal. My only fear now is burning the hydralic motor out after pressing the button and the lid not opening right away.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Looks like BOESMAN10 deserves a thanks from the vert crowd. This is the second person who utilized his top restore technique. The old way was to get out the tool kit and manually lower/raise the back window, then the top, which sounded like it was a pain in the rear.

I wouldn't worry about the motor burning out, I believe when the error occurs the entire system shuts down. It isn't a physical stop like it is stuck on another piece of the frame, it shuts down the system because the sensor that tracks the position of the top in the open/close sequence gets off track. So off it all goes.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Keep in mind a one guy was able fix the issue by giving the sensor a push on the frame. Worth a try if it balks on you again.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=120
WOW!!!!! I just read this, went to my car, a gentle nudge, AND IT WORKED!!!! Red light went out right away!!!

MANY THANKS TO BOESMAN!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM

Although the Boesman field repair nudge worked last week when the top was closed but windows were stuck, I had another issue with the top this morning - it started to sprinkle on the way into work and the top would only close 80% but not reach the latch in front. Went with the Yorgi fix - put it back down and drove fast and fortunately the sprinkling stopped. At the dealer now - they fixed it no charge under CPO - said it showed a sensor fault which they cleared and checked alignment (the sensor is working now, but they ordered a new sensor to put in at the next sign of trouble or next service visit). we'll see how it goes.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i
Hello,new member and first post,..I took my '07 650i vert in to be serviced(brake fluid change)before warranty runs out(only a week left) and when I picked car up and drove off the warning came on"top not locked"....stopped and tried lowering top,tried windows,tried the trunk release,none of it worked!!...drove car back to dealer,got a loaner and the next day they called to say car was ready,..went to pick up and the SA told me it was a common occurrence,.*****!!..asked how much to extend my warranty(only 36,000 miles on car) and was told $4500 for 2 more years and that didn't cover maintenance(another $1800),good grief!!,...I asked if the things that have been fixed under warranty break down again would they fix them at no charge if I didn't extend the warranty,of course the SA said no....What to do?...are these cars over teched?...are they not reliable?..I am old schooled in fixing my other cars(GTO's and Vettes,things with carbs and no computers,even rebuilt the rams on the power top of my '67 goat)so I'm wondering if this site can guide me thru things and fixes it will take to keep this beamer on the road,or do yall feel that the almost $6500 it takes to buy a warranty for only 2 more years is worth that kind of money,..I feel proud driving the 650 but am retired now and maybe it's to much of an up-end car and I should expect more of these tech problems in the future,..could this site have given me the knowledge to repair that "top lock" issue?...Sorry about rambling on but I have to make an important decision in less than a week...( the car is paid for but I didn't think I'd have to keep paying for it)...P.S....I hope I have posted this on the right forum...thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesugar View Post
Hello,new member and first post,..I took my '07 650i vert in to be serviced(brake fluid change)before warranty runs out(only a week left) and when I picked car up and drove off the warning came on"top not locked"....stopped and tried lowering top,tried windows,tried the trunk release,none of it worked!!...drove car back to dealer,got a loaner and the next day they called to say car was ready,..went to pick up and the SA told me it was a common occurrence,.*****!!..asked how much to extend my warranty(only 36,000 miles on car) and was told $4500 for 2 more years and that didn't cover maintenance(another $1800),good grief!!,...I asked if the things that have been fixed under warranty break down again would they fix them at no charge if I didn't extend the warranty,of course the SA said no....What to do?...are these cars over teched?...are they not reliable?..I am old schooled in fixing my other cars(GTO's and Vettes,things with carbs and no computers,even rebuilt the rams on the power top of my '67 goat)so I'm wondering if this site can guide me thru things and fixes it will take to keep this beamer on the road,or do yall feel that the almost $6500 it takes to buy a warranty for only 2 more years is worth that kind of money,..I feel proud driving the 650 but am retired now and maybe it's to much of an up-end car and I should expect more of these tech problems in the future,..could this site have given me the knowledge to repair that "top lock" issue?...Sorry about rambling on but I have to make an important decision in less than a week...( the car is paid for but I didn't think I'd have to keep paying for it)...P.S....I hope I have posted this on the right forum...thanks
Holy run on sentences...that is a hard read.

Anyway, the extended warranty is NOT bumper to bumper like your factory warranty. There is an exclusion list so be careful and discuss this with your Service folks. The exteneded maintenance for $1800 is a push, you would really have to decide how many times in 2 years you will need the maintenance items (brakes/oil). While BMW charges $1200 or $1500 for a brake job and independent can do it for MUCH less. Oil changes also can be had for $100 or less at times. Doing the brakes yourself can be much less, depending on if you need rotors or just pads.

So I would say NO to the Maintenance coverage if you simply can do DIY yourself or a good indy shop. The Extended Warranty (limited though it is) is debatable at that price. There are folks who have bought 3rd party warranties for $3500 or so that are longer term than that. Some will say simply bank the money and fix when you need, hope and pray you don't have something major.

And yes, these are are "over-teched", and they are reliable. But all the crazy sensors are not.

Last edited by tampamark; 08-05-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
If you've done engine work on your other cars than you can definitely do your own maintenance on the 6er, so I would pass on buying the extended maintenance. There are plenty of DIYs here and around the web. If you can't find a 6er specific DIY most 5er DIYs are very applicable to the 6 series.

The 6 series is reliable but when something does break it can be expensive. Considering how low your mileage is I would say the odds are very likely you will not incur $4,500 worth of warranty repairs over the next two years.

BMW (and the aftermarket companies) do not offer warranties for fun, they expect to make money on them. If you can live with the slight chance of a large repair I would also pass on the warranty at that price. Some people love the peace of mind a CPO gives them and are willing to pay up front for that.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 08-05-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 650i
Thank you "Yorgi" and "Tampamark" for your input,..it just seemed very strange that the "top lock" issue happened when they knew that this was the last time I would be assisted under the factory warranty..
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: M6
Top Not Locked - Need Advice....

Hello everyone. I just bought a 2007 M6 with 27K miles on it about 3 months ago. Recently I have been experiencing this crazy issue. Activated by heat and other things just like others are describing. I took it to the dealer, they made some adjustments, but based on what I read on this forum I have no confidence it will work long term. One thing the shop foreman mentioned to me the next step would be to replace sensors, although he said it has the new ones in it. Then if that does not work replace the entire top!!! Does that sound right??? It seems bizarre to me that he would recommend replacing the entire top when clearly this is an issue of how the sensor is constructed. Putting the same top on I would think would generate the same result over time.

Should I take to someone else to get a second opinion?

This may seem like a crazy question, but is there a way to disarm the sensor?

Finally, this is clearly a part issue and not user issue. Has there been any recognition of this issue besides an alert from BMW? The foreman told me they fixed this issue with newer models, so they know its a bad design, but are they helping customers resolve this for good?

I love this car, but none of us should have to deal with this or have to push on the roof to get it to work. When I think of BMW, I thought of quality. As a 1st time BMW owner, I am starting to think I might of made a mistake......

Any help would be great.

Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
OMG! The BOSEMAN10 fix worked for me too! Unbelievable. Thanks again to Mr. BOSEMAN10!

Gary
2005 645Ci
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645ci
Thank you Boesman for the tip! Had my 2005 645ci now for almost 1 year now problem free. Until today.

5 minutes into my drive to work this morning, the red indicator light started to flash. My windows worked fine, but the trunk would not open unless I used the key. Alarm worked fine also.

When I got home, I made some calls to a couple local BMW service shops. They suggested I make an appoinment. No surprise there. I then went on to bimmerfest.com, found Boesmans post, and voila.. 2 minutes later the problem was resolved.

Tried passenger side first, but indeed it was the drivers side where the problem was.

Last edited by TennisProCanada; 02-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
Glad it helped you out TennisProCanada.
You're right in that the sensor is only on the drivers side.
When I originally discovered the fix, I assumed there are sensors on both sides.

Btw I have to do this at least once every few weeks. Normally when I lower and then raise the top it will start erroring out when the car sits in the sun. But after a nudge the blinking red light disappears and all is good...until I lower again. I'm just glad there is a fairly easy workaround.

Regards,
Boesman10 (aka Louis).

Last edited by boesman10; 02-17-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
boesman is a legend now! That name will live forever! Lol

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco2000 View Post
+1

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
+2

I have said it before, Boesman has helped so many with just one genius post. It is funny since he drops in so infrequently (no criticism), good for him, this board can sometimes become an addicition...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Even some of the official dealers are using this fix. The power of the internet at its best.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 05-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 6 Series Convertible
Quote:
Ironic, I had just posted the link to that "push fix" above your post. Take a look at the link I put out there to the guys write-up, he has a picture of the location of the pivot point where the Sensor is located. Since you stumbled around and found it this will give you a more specific area to target. By the way, when you are raising/lowering your top, stop about half-way and you can see the sensor housing that Boesman10 was kind enough to identify for us. You will see the two wires coming out of the sensor mounted into the pivot point for the top frame.

The area that he notated is where the rotation sensor for the top is located. Below is the TSB excerpt, as you can see the reason for this is that the rotation sensor reads segments that are very close together, heat (or other factors I suppose) can cause these to misread the top position. I believe the easy fix that Boesman10 posted a while back helps to get the sensor back on the right segment.
Guys,
I'd like to praise the spirit of this forum big time!
I've had the dreaded flashing red light of soft top doom on and off for about 6 years now. To date I've just put up with it. It always sorted itself out after 48 hours.
Today it did it again, the top raised up and locked in but couldn't get the rear window up (and red light flashing). It was parked outside work and it started to rain. So I must do something!
I browsed the internet and found this thread.
In particular that picture of where the sensor is located.
So I went outside, in the rain, dropped the windows, reached in and gave it a couple of thumps.....
Presto the light goes out.
I have my first hallelujah moment!

I'm so chuffed I know exactly what the problem is now. The car has been to two dealers and a few indies over the years to no avail.

I'm going to have a crack myself at sorting the problem permanently now.

Thanks again guys and keep posting even the slightest issues and fixes.

Rob.

PS the 6 series has been faultless in 6 years, it's a UK sourced 630i manual, been all around Europe (including a 9.30 minute Nurburgring lap), from the South of France to Slovakia and now lives with me in Sydney Australia (best city for a convertible).
Old 05-06-2014, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 650I cabrio
Quote:
+2

I have said it before, Boesman has helped so many with just one genius post. It is funny since he drops in so infrequently (no criticism), good for him, this board can sometimes become an addicition...
Mark,
Yorgi and I have come to meet you today to discuss your future. This is an intervention...... The first thing you have to do is admit there is a problem:

We admit we were powerless over Bimmerfest. Those who are not ready to admit to a problem may not be able to seek the help they need, and they may be more likely to return to surfing the board. Accepting that a problem exists and facing it may be difficult, but it makes the person aware of it. Admitting it to other people enforces the issue. There are 11 more steps to follow and we as your sponsors will guide you through this.......Come out of your dark office and into the light..........The wife is back with the car and the weather is nice in Florida.....Get into the car and drive with the top down knowing that if it will not come back up that the Legend Boesman is only a mouse click away.......

Last edited by ttuite; 05-06-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttuite View Post
Mark,
Yorgi and I have come to meet you today to discuss your future. This is an intervention...... The first thing you have to do is admit there is a problem:

We admit we were powerless over Bimmerfest. Those who are not ready to admit to a problem may not be able to seek the help they need, and they may be more likely to return to surfing the board. Accepting that a problem exists and facing it may be difficult, but it makes the person aware of it. Admitting it to other people enforces the issue. There are 11 more steps to follow and we as your sponsors will guide you through this.......Come out of your dark office and into the light..........The wife is back with the car and the weather is nice in Florida.....Get into the car and drive with the top down knowing that if it will not come back up that the Legend Boesman is only a mouse click away.......

LOL, I am here to tell the group that my name is Mark, and I am a board addict!!!! I feel free already, time to go for a ride.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 650I cabrio
Quote:
LOL, I am here to tell the group that my name is Mark, and I am a board addict!!!! I feel free already, time to go for a ride.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
It's worse than you know. Mark is on the M6 board to..

Don't ask why I know...

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White