Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-09-2012, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 740i E38
MID with DSP upgrade to Nav With DSP

Hi Guys

Some advise please

My 740i is a 98 model with the normal MID with dsp and want to upgrade it to the Nav system with a 4inch screen

What do i need and how do i go about doing this

is it just simple as plug and play ???

any advise would be appreciated

have a super day
Ads by Google
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Thing is that the Mk3 nav was the last factory fit nav and is compatible with the 4:3 screen. However in terms of updates, it is way behind the Mk4 nav, and neither one will receive any further BMW updates. The MK4 was not fitted to the E38, but is a dead simple swap for earlier nav units, and you might want the later widescreen monitor as well. The reality is that at this stage in the cars life, a modern satnav is far cheaper with quicker performance than a retrofit, although I can fully understand a preference for an integrated system.

I have a (very long) set of BMW instructions for doing a nav retrofit, and this is a major job, though of course it has been done.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
I had a wide screen replace the smaller one. Needed the correct unit in the boot changed in too. BMW tech did it as a private deal and has never let me down.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM

So are you saying its just not Plug and Play ?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Since you have the MID at present, there is no video signal, in which case a new harness will have to be installed from the new monitor through the centre of the car to the new nav in the boot = a lot of interior dismantling. So Plug n Play? no chance! It would be best to find a complete kit- these come up on ebay fairly regularly. IIRC the retro install time is something like 7 hours assuming you already know how to strip the interior
Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks Chris it all so cleared up now

But I am in S.A so Ebay wont be an option
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 AM

Ah, sorry to hear that-didn't know ebay not available there.

For future: with BMW wiring its very often not possible to upgrade by simply buying the module or whatever. They installed the wiring for the spec that was ordered, and nothing more (usually). This means you have to buy either a replacement harness, or sometimes an extra section to achieve the upgrade. This can make life tricky when buying second hand due to number of options that were possible. I recommend getting a copy of the WDS (wiring diagram) if you plan this sort of work, or here (you may need to install Adobe SVG viewer for this to work, and definitely for the WDS

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/
Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
+1 on loom installs. The wider screen was P&P for my E38 BUT I did have the smaller screen first. Loom was same for both but did need boot/trunk mounted video driver replaced.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 10-13-2012, 02:07 PM

When you say 'video driver' I assume you mean the TV module, as this controls the display size,if fitted?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 PM

Hi CHris

I Need your Help Again

Please tell me if this will work on my car

Will it be simple as plug anD play

Please see Link

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/90796...FREE_MAPS.html

Thank you
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM

I assume it will fit physically, since they say so, but be aware that BMW widescreen monitors are handed because these is an A/C duct behind and the cassette block is offset to the left for L/H drive cars and vice versa. You need to be sure that the cd player protusion will clear the ducting.

This unit is not the first to offer such functions. I notice that in the second answer the individual is referred to BMW.. I cannot imagine much help there...and getting this to integrate with steering wheel functions etc is likely to be 'interesting'. Not sure about the plugs either as a BMW monitor has the usual lever type.

Don't know if this is much help, as I have not tried a fit of one of these units, and would not personally attempt it. At least if you do BMW retrofit you can locate all the wiring and pin outs etc from the WDS; plus you should be able to locate a harness, and there is plenty of forum help out there.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:17 AM

aahh no Chris

Please help me then

what other option do I have to upgrade my systrm to have better functionallity but also retain all OEM functions and looks

Thanks once again
Old 02-19-2013, 01:26 PM

You can install Widescreen, MKIV nav with v31 software, and digital tv to bring the car as up to as is possible with OEM kit. This is not cheap to do, and will require the correct harness, brackets etc, and retains oem look, but in the end this is of course old tech. There will not be any further software updates, although at least in the UK, updated maps continue to be available.

Beyond this you can add iPod using an Intravee module, with Alpine K420i module, and if you have DSP, a DICE module too. The good news is that this is plug n play; the bad news is that you will have to track down an Intravee, as Simon who produced this passed away end of 2012, and production has not yet resumed. More here, and there is a dedicated thread too, where you may get help finding a unit. Intravee does a lot more than merely add iPod functionality. I have this and its good-everything appears as you would expect on the monitor. You lose the CD player if fitted, as the Intravee utilises the wiring and plugs to the CD player

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/75485-...-for-download/.

Questions about all singing units such as you found come up fairly often but few people seem to taken on the risk of proving that units can be integrated. Dynavin is a similar unit, which I believe is not compatible with DSP. There is cerainly an appetite amongst E38 owners for an OEM look unit that fully integrates, but getting it all to work....

There are other solution out there, but be very carful to establish the degree of integration with car systems. Let us know what you decide!