Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
It would be interesting if someone with several codes set would check the order listed with two different code readers.
That's a GREAT IDEA!

I had not thought of that, but, if the order were different in the two readers, it would be a strong indication that the order is reader dependent.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 PM

Drat. Up until now, my bimmer has been running code free, but, this week, my old friend, the check engine soon light, lit up.
  • P0313 BMW 238 to BMW 243 inclusive, Misfire Detected with Low Fuel
  • P0171 BMW 227, System Too Lean (Bank 1)
  • P0174 BMW 228, System Too Lean (Bank 2)
Here we go again... (117293 miles).

Last edited by bluebee; 04-12-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528i
from what I understand the codes are listed in the order they are generated, and that all depends on when the ecm runs the checks on all the sub-systems. Also as u know one small problem can trigger multiple codes from one problem. O2 sensors 1/1 is always the one closest to cyl1 so 1/2 would be the post cat on the same bank so the 2/1 is the other pre cat bank.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM

For the record, see also this thread, posted today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > bmw e39 530i codes! Where to start? P0171 P0174 P0300 P0336 P1083 P1085 P1348 P1351
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
Here is my experience as a 30 year technician

On most scan tools the codes are listed in the order that they are set.
Some codes can prevent other codes from setting. (IE. if you set a code for a faulty Oxygen sensor you cannot set a catalyst efficiency code because the ODBII test for it never occurs because of the faulty O2 sensor.)
It is always best to list the codes and read the code description and parameters before you clear and or attempt to repair the problem.
Learn to distinguish between a system (fuel, ignition or emission) from component codes (O2 sensor circuit). for example P0171,2,3,4 codes are fuel mixture issues and are most often caused by vacuum leaks or fuel delivery issues.
Some codes take priority over others in diagnostics. I am trying to think of a specific example but when you read up on the code it will tell you if it is accompanied by specific other code/s to diagnose them first.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:20 PM

We need, somewhere, a single canonical link for a vacumm leak diagnostic search because this question, which popped up today, will always pop up:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > vacuum leak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_e39 View Post
Hey guys so my car may have a vacuum leak on my 2000 528i where should I check to find the leak???
This related post is useful for locating vacuum leaks ...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Failed Emissions (Error Codes Inside) HELP !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstern View Post
I am assuming that the codes you've listed in Post #1 are for your car. You have a vacuum leak which you need to find and repair before your car will pass emissions. A vacuum leak is when there is air entering the engine that has not gone through, and been measured by the MAF. Our cars will misfire when there is a vacuum leak. Hence the misfire codes. I don't believe removing the intake horn has anything to do with this vacuum leak since all the work has been done before the MAF.

The most common vacuum leak is when the rubber intake boots AFTER the MAF have split allowing unmeasured air into the engine. You need to remove these boots and look for splits in the boots in the accordion sections of the boots and at the point in the second boot where it splits to go to the throttle body and the idle control valve.

There is a hose that goes from the bottom of the CVV to the oil dipstick tube that rots and leaks. There are 3 vacuum nipples on the left rear of the intake manifold. Some of these nipples are capped and the caps split and leak. You have to remove the left side cabin air filter box and duct (it rotates toward the center of the car to remove) to access these nipples. A small mechanics mirror and flashlight may help in finding and seeing these nipples.

Otherwise a professionally executed smoke test is the best way to find vacuum leaks. It is worth it to spend the money at a BMW expert independent repair shop to get a smoke test. After the test, you can decide whether you want to DIY the vac leak repair or have the shop do it.

Good luck.

BTW-vacuum leaks are the most common problems facing our cars.
See also:
- Poolman's canonical thread on battling vacuum leaks on the BMW I6 with lean-condition misfire DTCs (1) & where to find all the vacuum hoses, tubes, pipes, and endcaps in the E39 engine bay (1) & where are all the fuel injection o-rings (1) & how to locate all the o-rings (1) and gaskets (1) & where in the USA to get new vacuum tubing & end caps (1) & what SAE sizes to get for all the metric M54 engine vacuum tubes, hoses, pipes, and caps (1) & how do we correct the F-connector errors in the realoem diagrams (1) & where do some of those hard-to-locate vacuum hoses end (1) & what is the sorely needed clarification on how the M54 CCV vacuum port works on the M52 CCV valve connection to the fuel pressure regulator connection (1) & how to make, borrow, or buy lean-condition misfire test tools to test for vacuum leaks & lean conditions (1)

Last edited by bluebee; 04-09-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:33 AM

looks like this one was the Disa valve...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Misfires on all 6 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
Update - Got it Fixed -

It was the DISA (As O'Reilly Auto Parts Calls it - Intake Manifold Runner Control Valve)

On my old one, the flap was completely broken. If you get the above codes with INPA, check this part first before replacing O2 Sensors or Spark Plugs.

I have included pictures of my old DISA.

Thank GOD the Pin on the end did not fall in.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Not sure where I read this, but it said to address the first listed error code first. When my cam position sensor went out it threw several codes. I replaced the cps (first code listed), cleared the codes and none of the secondary codes ever returned.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Respect my authoritay!

Send a message via Skype™ to Zerodynamic
Mein Auto: 2001 540i6
Under the advice of my indy when I was hunting down my ignition coil and fuel pump issues, was to look at the first code that pops up as the starting point and go from there. I have experienced one code being the cause of another code.