Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport iDrive 8s
Warning: Serious Parts Availability Problem for F30

Warning: most important repair parts for 2012/13 F30 are on back-order, with the situation unlikely to change, at least in the near future.
As described to me by senior BMW insiders, this is a result of a corporate policy that gives production "unusual priority" for any and all parts, combined with high model demand, and most of all, a very tight inventory management policy (JIT) that virtually eliminates any normal safety, or repair parts inventory.

This is less likely a problem for normal "wear" parts, and perhaps even parts that BMW has deemed high predicted failure parts or are among the limited number of parts carried in dealer inventory; but should you have an accident Ė even minor, or damage occurs to a major component - the wait for parts could be in 2-3 month range; perhaps longer. Parts specific to the 328 and 328x are the most problematic. Moreover, for some components, BMW will not even make an effort to requisition parts from suppliers until a back-order threshold has reached a minimum level and/or the parts are sourced from a non-OEM supplier (though to give credit of some dealers, they're cannibalizing minor parts from their new or used inventory; in order to get their most vocal customers back on the road).

BMW, not surprisingly, is officially denying or, at best down-playing the problem. But I've checked my sources at BMW, at Audi and Lexus corporate offices, and even friends in the media, and they are all either well aware of the situation, or are starting to hear an inordinate / over-the-top number of complaints for such a new car, trickle in. The phrase "nice car until it breaks" is being thrown around quite liberally; and in my humble opinion, it is a important consideration that should be taken into account before purchasing a new BMW.

I hope the above information is helpful.

Last edited by Canada1867; 02-17-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
lets see some proof before we all panic

when the N54 fuel pump failures started, it was very obvious by the posts of buybacks and such that there was a parts shortage-- not a lone post with nothing but heresay backing it up. i really doubt that dealers are cannibalizing parts from new and used cars across the board.
at least in the US, if a car is out of service, in most states that starts the lemon law countdown. bmw cant afford to have massive amounts of cars out of service in order to cheap out on supply chain stock-- it would cost them more when they are forced to take the cars back. the HPFP fuel pump situation was a genuine supplier issue.

sounds like FUD to me. or a dealer spinning a story to explain why a car is still out of service.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 02-17-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada1867 View Post
Warning: most important repair parts for 2012/13 F30 are on back-order, with the situation unlikely to change, at least in the near future.
As described to me by senior BMW insiders, this is a result of a corporate policy that gives production "unusual priority" for any and all parts, combined with high model demand, and most of all, a very tight inventory management policy (JIT) that virtually eliminates any normal safety, or repair parts inventory.

This is less likely a problem for normal "wear" parts, and perhaps even parts that BMW has deemed high predicted failure parts or are among the limited number of parts carried in dealer inventory; but should you have an accident Ė even minor, or damage occurs to a major component - the wait for parts could be in 2-3 month range; perhaps longer. Parts specific to the 328 and 328x are the most problematic. Moreover, for some components, BMW will not even make an effort to requisition parts from suppliers until a back-order threshold has reached a minimum level and/or the parts are sourced from a non-OEM supplier (though to give credit of some dealers, they're cannibalizing minor parts from their new or used inventory; in order to get their most vocal customers back on the road).

BMW, not surprisingly, is officially denying or, at best down-playing the problem. But I've checked my sources at BMW, at Audi and Lexus corporate offices, and even friends in the media, and they are all either well aware of the situation, or are starting to hear an inordinate / over-the-top number of complaints for such a new car, trickle in. The phrase "nice car until it breaks" is being thrown around quite liberally; and in my humble opinion, it is a important consideration that should be taken into account before purchasing a new BMW.

I hope the above information is helpful.
Proof or link please. This seems like media induced fear and anxiety.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
I bent my m sport rims. Front rims were in stock. Rears took 3 weeks from Germany.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post

when the N54 fuel pump failures started, it was very obvious by the posts of buybacks and such that there was a parts shortage-- not a lone post with nothing but heresay backing it up. i really doubt that dealers are cannibalizing parts from new and used cars across the board.
at least in the US, if a car is out of service, in most states that starts the lemon law countdown. bmw cant afford to have massive amounts of cars out of service in order to cheap out on supply chain stock-- it would cost them more when they are forced to take the cars back. the HPFP fuel pump situation was a genuine supplier issue.

sounds like FUD to me. or a dealer spinning a story to explain why a car is still out of service.
Dear Orient330iNYC,
Please don't take what I wrote out of context or exaggerate the problem. The replacement parts availability situation has nothing what-so-ever to do with a specific part, a recall, or for that matter, the safety and the functioning of the vehicle. However, it is valuable information that I believe is worth sharing with this community. And, I would suggest, is the real purpose behind such a forum as this.

Whether or not you personally wish to hear or believe this information; is your business. But for my part, Iím comfortable that Iíve done my homework and am satisfied that what I wrote is accurate.

I do not profess to be a ďknow-it-allĒ BMW guru, nor even have all the details behind this issue - such as which specific parts are, or are not problematic (Öthough I could list at least 6 major and minor parts that have kept my own car in the shop for 11 weeks). However, in my informed opinion, this is a systemic problem and not the fault of shady dealers or service staff representative; as you have implied. In fact the dealer and service staff, which you disparage, has been the only part of my BMW experience that have lived up to my expectations.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:04 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Dear Orient330iNYC,
Please don't take what I wrote out of context or exaggerate the problem. The replacement parts availability situation has nothing what-so-ever to do with a specific part, a recall, or for that matter, the safety and the functioning of the vehicle. However, it is valuable information that I believe is worth sharing with this community. And, I would suggest, is the real purpose behind such a forum as this.

Whether or not you personally wish to hear or believe this information; is your business. But for my part, I'm comfortable that I've done my homework and am satisfied that what I wrote is accurate.

I do not profess to be a "know-it-all" BMW guru, nor even have all the details behind this issue - such as which specific parts are, or are not problematic (Ö.though I could list at least 6 major and minor parts that have kept my own car in the shop for 11 weeks). However, in my informed opinion, this is a systemic problem and not the fault of shady dealers or service staff representative; as you have implied. In fact the dealer and service staff, which you disparage, has been the only part of my BMW experience that have lived up to my expectations.
again, proof or link or something other than heresay. you post a subject of "Warning: Serious Parts Availability Problem for F30"

without any more substantive information other than stuff people have told you, or that you have heard 3rd hand, exactly what is anyone supposed to do with your info?

1) not have a breakdown, thus not running into this supposed shortage of "most important repair parts" (what does this mean? is this meant to make people afraid that ANY issue they have will be impacted by this shortage)

2) not buy a bmw to avoid this "serious Parts Availability problem for F30"

FUD
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.

You sir, are shoveling a bushel of it with nothing other than your say-so. you dont post what parts are constrained. you just post a very vague "most major repair parts"

at best, you're trying to get the word out based on what people have told you to make you feel better about your car being out of service for 11 weeks. in the US that would not happen, as the car would be well on its way to being lemon'ed in most states by the end of week 4.

at worst, you're trolling because your dealership wont step up and do the right thing and replace your car.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 02-17-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
As someone who has access to BMW's dealerspeed website...BMW has not made any sort of announcement on this. Just thought I'd share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
Quote:

The rear taillights for our 1 coupe were backordered for over 5 months when they needed to be replaced.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: 550xi / 135i / M5
I was shocked when the lead story today on my local news program was the BMW recall.
And here I thought these forums were populated with a bunch of chicken littles. Lol
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
As someone who has access to BMW's dealerspeed website...BMW has not made any sort of announcement on this. Just thought I'd share.
Exactly what my parts manager said, after telling me that he's got a "boat load" of people like myself that he can't even guess at the date when there part will be available. I don't know which parts are in short supply, and neither does he until he orders them.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
I bent my m sport rims. Front rims were in stock. Rears took 3 weeks from Germany.
Wow, I would have thought rims would be one of the well stocked items. My wife's cracked 2 rims on her Audi over the last couple of years (country road potholes), but at least she had her spare and the dealer was able to replace on the spot.
What did you do for 3 weeks?
I honestly hadn't thought of that aspect of the run flat tires - no spare rim or donut either!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
again, proof or link or something other than heresay. you post a subject of "Warning: Serious Parts Availability Problem for F30"

without any more substantive information other than stuff people have told you, or that you have heard 3rd hand, exactly what is anyone supposed to do with your info?

1) not have a breakdown, thus not running into this supposed shortage of "most important repair parts" (what does this mean? is this meant to make people afraid that ANY issue they have will be impacted by this shortage)

FUD

You sir, are shoveling a bushel of it with nothing other than your say-so. you dont post what parts are constrained. you just post a very vague "most major repair parts"

at best, you're trying to get the word out based on what people have told you to make you feel better about your car being out of service for 11 weeks. in the US that would not happen, as the car would be well on its way to being lemon'ed in most states by the end of week 4.

at worst, you're trolling because your dealership wont step up and do the right thing and replace your car.
And you have a nice day too.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 13 335i M Sp, 13 SubBRZ
Quote:

FUD

While the OP is a little thin on specifics and makes it sound very dramatic, you're response is way over the top.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryakanisachoad View Post
I was shocked when the lead story today on my local news program was the BMW recall.
And here I thought these forums were populated with a bunch of chicken littles. Lol
Does not apply to the F30; mainly to 2007 through 2011 model year 3 series (plus a few other models).
However, I'm curious whether the details were available on this forum much earlier? I'm certian BMW knew of the problem for years!
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Seriously, Canada1867, can you not provide a link instead of a gainsay? It would really help to see independent corroboration so we can take what you're saying very seriously. Otherwise, we have only your word to take for it.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688

Last edited by chasfh; 02-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:

FUD

I really appreciate your active participation in the forum because your replies are always "spot on" and accurate, but in all fairness, the OP wrote "... but should you have an accident Ė even minor, or damage occurs to a major component - the wait for parts could be in 2-3 month range; perhaps longer." I don't believe that the lemon laws would apply in the case of an accident.
2015 X3 xDrive 35i Melbourne Red
2015 M4 Convertible Sakhir Orange
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
Seriously, Canada1867, can you not provide a link instead of a gainsay? It would really help to see independent corroboration so we can take what you're saying very seriously. Otherwise, we have only your word to take for it.
I canít debate the topic. All I can do is share with you what Iíve learnt whilst trying to understand and resolve my own problem. Donít shoot the messenger! In fact, I only came to the forum to find out more about the recently announced recall Ė and just thought it fair to give back. BTW: was that problem identified early and communicated within this forum?

Believe me or not, I did do my due diligence, spoke with 2 dealers in addition to my own (including one from California), and came to the early conclusion that it was not my dealer that was at fault; or, something anyone could do anything about. If fact, all the parts managers have said the same thing Ė BMW has said nothing on the issue, but that they are having an inordinately difficult time getting a wide range of parts for F30s from Germany. My curiosity did lead me to dig a little deeper and speak with others at BMW Group, and friends at a couple of competitors. As such, Iím comfortable saying the problem, in all likelihood, is systemic and not easily resolved.

Other than risk repeating myself, I can not contribute more. When I get my car back, Iíll try to provide a list of problematic parts or other details. But for now, Iíd suggest not getting into even a fender bender.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
When I ordered the m sport grill I was prepared for a wait. And I did wait. It took a whole day!!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
I canít debate the topic. All I can do is share with you what Iíve learnt whilst trying to understand and resolve my own problem. Donít shoot the messenger!
I'm not shooting anybody. You, on the other hand, have become fairly defensive about this.

I know you'd like us to take only your word for this. Don't be offended, but we don't know you, so how can we simply take your word for it?

I'll become concerned about this when it's independently corroborated.

Thanks for your contribution.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I'm not shooting anybody. You, on the other hand, have become fairly defensive about this.

I know you'd like us to take only your word for this. Don't be offended, but we don't know you, so how can we simply take your word for it?

I'll become concerned about this when it's independently corroborated.

Thanks for your contribution.
No worries...
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Wow, I would have thought rims would be one of the well stocked items. My wife's cracked 2 rims on her Audi over the last couple of years (country road potholes), but at least she had her spare and the dealer was able to replace on the spot.
What did you do for 3 weeks?
I honestly hadn't thought of that aspect of the run flat tires - no spare rim or donut either!!!
My parents had my brothers old car for sale that he wasn't using luckily. So they held off for 4 weeks and I just borrowed it. 05 Scion tc . Not a terrible car for what it is.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
i actually think that's bs.

my rusty seat frame replacements, which I guess came from lear, came in 2-3 weeks.
my fuel cap replacement was onsite and available.

only think I've had to wait for was M Performance parts BECAUSE BMW release the Struts before the Springs and I had to get them.

the M performance CF spoiler was in stock at my dealer, as was the exhaust and grilles.

So....yeah, would love to see this evidence Chicken Little.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
I have a bridge to sell you.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 320i
Not the circumstances I would like to make my first post under, but I thought I could offer my personal experience to this thread. On Dec 1st I picked up my 320i, and on Dec 5th while returning from Montreal I hit a deer at 110 km/h. The damage was substantial, but not enough to warrant a write-off from my insurance company. Well, here we are on Feb 18th and I still do not have my car back. The dealer has informed me that many parts have been (are) on back-order and the completion date for the repairs has been pushed back numerous times, though fingers crossed they have assured me that it should be ready by the end of next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	362903  
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: Yugo
I hope the dudes calling BS in this thread end up needing a part and have to wait weeks to months to get it. The dude is just trying to give you internet tough guys a heads up and you give him a bunch of ****.