Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 446
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
So I bought new rotors and slapped them on last pad change about 1 year ago. Should I buy new ones or have them resurfaced and put back on. I hear you should always put new ones on is that true?
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM
tampamark tampamark is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: tampa fl
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,903
Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
That's it all of you stop this is a 6er forum . Stop wanting the Z06. It's a great racer but we are die hard 6er people.
I think ....Man that Z06 looks sick. I think I want ...... never mind I am getting sucked into the black hole as well .....no.......no....I ...will .....not give in .....
Too funny! If we could have them all...my car stable would be broad and have at least one Vette.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Guys,

First I'm a "Car" lover. In my 58 years I've owned first gen Camaros, Buicks, Pontiacs, Mazda Rotarys, Audi's, Porsches, Lexus, suv's, pick ups etc.

About 3 years ago I bought my first Corvette. Been in lot's of them, but never a C6. The thing is very livable, more power, lighter, more luggage space, great gas milage and it will run a hole in the wind. That being said, the 650 is VERY nice, well built, and the top goes down. Just two different types of cars. True sports car vs GT.

BMW's are new to me. I have a rule of German cars "Always buy new and sell before the warranty runs out" I violated my own rule and bought the 650 because, I didn't want to experience the rapid depreciation, it's been almost 20 years since I bought the last one (surely they have gotten better) and I love the looks of this car. Oh, my warranty runs out today.

So, thanks to all of you who are helping learn about my 650.

PS: Here's a pic of part of the fleet which was in the same place recently.

Last edited by z10; 02-18-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,643
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
....PS: Here's a pic of part of the fleet which was in the same place recently. ]
Very nice stable!
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Nitrogen's Avatar
Nitrogen Nitrogen is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central California
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 446
Mein Auto: BMW 650i Convertible
I love it good job wish I had a farm to store my horses but...so is life!! I can only hope and dream to have a stable as yours!!!
__________________
Sent Via iPhone using BimmerApp
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,318
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
Guys,

First I'm a "Car" lover. In my 58 years I've owned first gen Camaros, Buicks, Pontiacs, Mazda Rotarys, Audi's, Porsches, Lexus, suv's, pick ups etc.

About 3 years ago I bought my first Corvette. Been in lot's of them, but never a C6. The thing is very livable, more power, lighter, more luggage space, great gas milage and it will run a hole in the wind. That being said, the 650 is VERY nice, well built, and the top goes down. Just two different types of cars. True sports car vs GT.

BMW's are new to me. I have a rule of German cars "Always buy new and sell before the warranty runs out" I violated my own rule and bought the 650 because, I didn't want to experience the rapid depreciation, it's been almost 20 years since I bought the last one (surely they have gotten better) and I love the looks of this car. Oh, my warranty runs out today.

So, thanks to all of you who are helping learn about my 650.

PS: Here's a pic of part of the fleet which was in the same place recently.
Awesome fleet you have there!
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,318
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrogen View Post
So I bought new rotors and slapped them on last pad change about 1 year ago. Should I buy new ones or have them resurfaced and put back on. I hear you should always put new ones on is that true?
Measure the rotors to see if it does not fall below the minimum thickness. If it measures out fine, resurface them and put them back on. If rotors are at a good price, I'd just buy new ones so I can sleep better at night.
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Thanks guys for the kind words. Just don't think all of those were purchased recently.

I did have a recent reduction in the fleet today The pristine 07 Lexus RX350 "The Chick Car", was sold to a good home. Is it just me, do you ever see a man driving one of these things other than to put gas in it for his chick?

Anyway, that frees up some cash to pay down on my chicks 09 650. I think my chicks moving up.

New Chick Car:
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Timebomb Timebomb is offline
Registered User
Location: Moreno Vally, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 2006 650i
I use to like Vets but they got nothing on a 6 series. I was looking to buy one a few year back but didn't like how it felt when driving it and too much plastic on the interior. They look cool but the 6 series is the best car on the road besides the exotics.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-24-2013, 04:51 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebomb View Post
I use to like Vets but they got nothing on a 6 series. I was looking to buy one a few year back but didn't like how it felt when driving it and too much plastic on the interior. They look cool but the 6 series is the best car on the road besides the exotics.
Well maybe a few:

Faster,
Lighter,
Less maintenance,
slower depreciation,
Better gas milage,
Carries more luggage
Outstanding racing pedigree

Now, the 6 is:
Quiter,
Better interior
Seats 4
Better Sound System
Better Nav system
Color HUD
Heated Steering Wheel

I own both, just one man's opinion.

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM
rebel.ranter rebel.ranter is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cork, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 471
Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
......Seats 4....
Thats a bit of a stretch!

Nice fleet you have there. Are those Vettes made mostly of plastic? The trunk lid & front wings on the six are!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Sandytop Sandytop is offline
Registered User
Location: Indiana
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2012 650ix convertible
just went in for service at 46k miles and had the front rotors and pads replaced for the first time. The rotors were warped just a bit. They checked the rear brakes and they said I still had plenty of pad and rotor left and they are the original set. I have been lucky to get incredible wear out of the brakes and got almost 40k out of the stock tires as well.
__________________
Don
2012 650xi Vermillion Red metallic w Ivory white nappa leather
LED Headlights, 20" wheels, Luxury seating pkg, premium sound,Dynamic Damper Control, Active Roll Stabilization, Adaptive Drive, Ceramic Controls, automatic high beams
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-24-2013, 08:52 PM
roseng's Avatar
roseng roseng is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calabasas, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,496
Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytop View Post
just went in for service at 46k miles and had the front rotors and pads replaced for the first time. The rotors were warped just a bit. They checked the rear brakes and they said I still had plenty of pad and rotor left and they are the original set. I have been lucky to get incredible wear out of the brakes and got almost 40k out of the stock tires as well.
2 650s? Impressive!
__________________

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-24-2013, 11:30 PM
reytran's Avatar
reytran reytran is offline
Nothing quite like a 6
Location: Santa Monica
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 521
Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
A month ago, I got quoted for warped motor when I find out my car shake when I brake at high speed. However, that was only when I travel at 100mph+ in Arizona. Cali road it's totally fine and lucky that I didn't authorize the rotor replace. I feel smarter now LOL. The car run well, except some weird noise when go light on the brake.

@Nitrogen:
I don't want Z06 yeah !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
Well maybe a few:

Faster,
Lighter,
Less maintenance,
slower depreciation,
Better gas milage,
Carries more luggage
Outstanding racing pedigree

Now, the 6 is:
Quiter,
Better interior
Seats 4
Better Sound System
Better Nav system
Color HUD
Heated Steering Wheel

I own both, just one man's opinion.

The 6s basically, the way it looks and feels. Corvette, I'm sorry.
__________________
2009 BMW 650i Cabrio (daily drive)
2011 Audi A4 (groceries, bully, road trip, winter beater, family car)

BMW CCA ID: 473647

Last edited by reytran; 02-24-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
Thats a bit of a stretch!

Nice fleet you have there. Are those Vettes made mostly of plastic? The trunk lid & front wings on the six are!
On the Z06 the front fenders, and floor are carbon fiber.
On the Zr1 add Carbon fiber hood, roof, front splitter, and brakes.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
A month ago, I got quoted for warped motor when I find out my car shake when I brake at high speed. However, that was only when I travel at 100mph+ in Arizona. Cali road it's totally fine and lucky that I didn't authorize the rotor replace. I feel smarter now LOL. The car run well, except some weird noise when go light on the brake.

@Nitrogen:
I don't want Z06 yeah !!!!



The 6s basically, the way it looks and feels. Corvette, I'm sorry.
Wanna race for pinks?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Yorgi's Avatar
Yorgi Yorgi is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,643
Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
There are only 6 production-based cars faster than the Vette around the Nürburgring, and one of those is a street legal formula car. Good enough for me.
__________________
Straight lines are for fast cars...turns are for fast drivers
'04 M3 - track
'06 650i Cab - daily driver
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:22 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,318
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
A month ago, I got quoted for warped motor when I find out my car shake when I brake at high speed. However, that was only when I travel at 100mph+ in Arizona. Cali road it's totally fine and lucky that I didn't authorize the rotor replace. I feel smarter now LOL. The car run well, except some weird noise when go light on the brake.

@Nitrogen:
I don't want Z06 yeah !!!!



The 6s basically, the way it looks and feels. Corvette, I'm sorry.
When it comes to Corvettes, I only like the Z06 as they put in all of the goodies that make it a very tough competitor on the track.

Other than that, the 6 Series is more of an exclusive car that really turns heads and gets you attention of all sorts.

Both are excellent cars, but just different leagues.
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
07 E63650i's Avatar
07 E63650i 07 E63650i is offline
Living in Fast Forward
Location: Southern California, USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,318
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z10 View Post
Wanna race for pinks?
Rey, you're gonna need a modified M6
__________________
Once a 6'er, always a 6'er.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-25-2013, 10:55 PM
z10 z10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 87
Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Rey, you're gonna need a modified M6
Well if he get's a modified M6, then I'll step up to a ZR1.


Hey........I own them both for a reason.

Oh, there were only 11,647 corvettes of all flavors produced in 2012. Not so sure about that exclusivity?

Last edited by z10; 02-25-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms