Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
It's not about the N54 anymore

"The other fact remains that BMW has the highest lease rate of any manufacturer so most people only have the car for 3 years before they're given up and sold to another person. Usually, during this 3 years, nothing will go wrong and of course, there's no maintenance to bother the owner with so many people who lease these cars report that the car has been great. Of course, ask everybody with the N54 engine and I'm sure they'll tell you that keeping that car past 100k or was it 120k (that bmw extended the warranty on the hpfp to) if they think the car will last and I'm sure they pause before answering. "

I agree that many new drivers are only concerned about the first 2-3 years of the life of the engine and that the N54 made headlines. But if you believe that the '09 and later N54 motors were engineered better, and that it's really the N20 motor that will dominate the US population, then that's where the conversation should be directed.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I don't expect a BMW to be excitingly styled. The F30 certainly is not. It is a BMW after all. It competes nicely in styling with a 2013 Accord. I am continually amazed by those that assert the F30 is "sexy," "aggressive," and describe its engine as a "beast."

I can only conclude there are many that need to get out more.

Personally I like that the F30 is fairly anonymous and slips in as one of many. It is a nice daily driver/winter beater. One knows BMW is not going for impact when they offer the car in multiple shades of grey.

I have no problem with others being excited with the styling. If you find it striking, that's great.
The F30 as a winter beater. Never quite considered that. You cannot be serious.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Warranty expiration is key. Had a passat that was absolutely flawless until 36k. My wife loved it. Quick, fuel efficient, comfy, roomy. Then when the car hit 36,100 it died. Fuel injector went bad.

VW refused to tow it to a dealer (rep actually laughed at me over the phone). I paid to have AAA tow it.

VW dealer graciously goodwilled the repair, normally $1300 but let me know I was on my own for the other three fuel injectors. So when it was fixed I drove it right to anInfiniti dealer.
I had a fuel injector go bad in an Audi with 9000 miles on it. Limped home on 3 cylinders. They were pretty nice about it at least.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
No, I stated only a 2013 Accord competes nicely with an F30 in styling. I stated no preference for either and would not describe either as interesting. They are simply in the same camp of conservative, generic and safe. I wonder if Accord forums are replete with massive pictures of their identical appearing cars?
You need to learn more about how the Internetz work.

On an Accord Forum, chances are youll see 99.9% of the vast amounts of pictures posted are of "identical appearing cars", and.. brace yourself.. of.. ACCORDS!

But then again, any true car enthusiast appreciates even the smallest nuances of differentiation between cars they apply their enthusiasm toward (or any car in general if one is a true "Car Enthusiast"), i.e color combo, mods as slight as they may be, options, packages, etc. It's called "Car Enthusiasm pertaining to a certain model". Photo lighting and angles all show different interpretations of how our cars will look, give better insight and ideas into the dynamics applied toward their designs, and of course, no two photos look identically alike.

Find me one picture of an identical F10 to mine, down to the exact wing, M Sport Package, blacked out reflectors, exact window tint %'s, no front license plate, etc, it really shouldn't be hard, but maybe not to easy.... because, you know, that's why owners come to these boards.... to look at and hear about different setups, and concentrate on even the slightest of variances.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-17-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport iDrive 8s
While I can't attest to the long term reliability of my 2013 328, I can tell you that for the 6 months I've owed the car, the last 3 months have had it sitting in the dealer's lot waiting for a long list of relatively common replacement parts on back-order from Germany.
Another member mentioned that he waited 3 weeks to get a replacement rim from Germany - which considering the fragility of light weight rims and the simple fact we have no spare tire, is particularly disturbing. (FYI: my wife's broken 2 rims on her Audi - her fault - but at least there was a spare tire and a replacement in dealer inventory).
My point is that reliability can be a subjective matter. Some problems are more critical than others, but the manner and speed it is resolved are also important considerations. I'm no fan of Toyota or Honda, but at least they look after their customers. BMW on the other hand, I've belately learned: "are great cars...until they break!"
I also now plan on selling the car before the warranty expires, as opposed to my origional plan of passing it to my son or daughter.

Last edited by Canada1867; 02-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
My 2012 328i has only needed a reprogramming of the FEM module so far. It's been bulletproof otherwise, knock on wood.
2012 Alpine White F30 328i Leather Dakota Everest Grey/Sport Line/Premium/Premium Sound/Technology/STEPTRONIC/Rear View Camera/Heated Front Seats/Park Distance Control/Xenons/BMW Assist w/Enhanced USB/BMW Apps
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport iDrive 8s
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
My 2012 328i has only needed a reprogramming of the FEM module so far. It's been bulletproof otherwise, knock on wood.
Would you expect otherwise from a nearly new $50,000 car?!

I agree with a couple of earlier posts that BMW is likely mid-pack in overall reliability, and that the newer the tech and more complicated the car the more likely it will encounter problems. But as my father used to say: "it not whether we fall down or not that's the measure of a man, but how quickly we get up". It is in this measure I fear BMW may be deficit…but only time will tell.

I'm crossing my fingers BMW will sort out it problems, as at the very least it will impact my resale value
Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
I really don't understand some BMW owners. Always negitve. I'm on my 3rd BMW and not once was I left on the side of the road and I don't think that is unusaual. My 88 735i bought with 112,000 miles on it keep me going for 7 years and I only speant $2500 in 7 years to keep it running great. If that is not reliable I don't know what is.

I argree that they do cost more now then before to keep up with maintanence, but there is no reason to think it will ever break down and leave you stranded.
Like I said, if you've never owned a Toyota, you'll never know what a reliable car is. You don't have anything to compate to. Sounds like you might be one of those where you've always bought BMW's. Nothing wrong with that. That's your cup of tea. I'm not negative. I'm just saying it like it is. Even the report says Toyota's are more reliable so again, I'm not being negative. I'm just confirming what the report has said year over year over year over year. If you did a search for my name and the posts I've created regarding issues with my car, you'd see that I've had more than the "average" bmw issues. They ranged from HPFP, left exhaust flap, replaced dme, replaced fuel injectors, replaced oil filter housing. Dang and this is with 85k miles on the car. My wife's previous 2002 rx300 had over 220k miles with only 1 problem and it was still going strong.

...so not being negative. just calling it like I see it.[/QUOTE]

I have owned Toyota's, 4 of them. I currently own a Scion tC 05 and the only thing I've done is rear breaks, rotors, and a front wheel bearing. 105,000 miles, 8 years old now on original battery. Yes they are much cheaper to own, but not even 1/8 the fun.

Keeping my fingers x that my 545i will make be proud like all my past BMW's.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
Like I said, if you've never owned a Toyota, you'll never know what a reliable car is. You don't have anything to compate to. Sounds like you might be one of those where you've always bought BMW's. Nothing wrong with that. That's your cup of tea. I'm not negative. I'm just saying it like it is. Even the report says Toyota's are more reliable so again, I'm not being negative. I'm just confirming what the report has said year over year over year over year. If you did a search for my name and the posts I've created regarding issues with my car, you'd see that I've had more than the "average" bmw issues. They ranged from HPFP, left exhaust flap, replaced dme, replaced fuel injectors, replaced oil filter housing. Dang and this is with 85k miles on the car. My wife's previous 2002 rx300 had over 220k miles with only 1 problem and it was still going strong.

...so not being negative. just calling it like I see it.

I have owned Toyota's, 4 of them. I currently own a Scion tC 05 and the only thing I've done is rear breaks, rotors, and a front wheel bearing. 105,000 miles, 8 years old now on original battery. Yes they are much cheaper to own, but not even 1/8 the fun.

Keeping my fingers x that my 545i will make be proud like all my past BMW's.
Yep, I agree. I'm not being negative, just realistic. If I was that negative about them I wouldn't keep buying (well, leasing) them. I'll add Honda to your Toyota point. 3 Civics over 10 years and not a problem with any of them. First car was a Mazda, no problems that I remember. And sticking with the Japanese line (seeing a trend here?) almost no problems with my Infiniti. Now moving over to Germany I had more problems with my first BMW than all of my previous cars combined. It DID leave me stranded in the middle of no where. However that said, I can't wait for the 4 series to come out.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
There are only about 14,000 Corvettes made on an annual basis since 2009.
Thanks. I had not checked and was relying on only my memory of past production of plus/minor 30,000. There has been a large drop in the last couple of years, not surprising given the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
My point is very clear. The Z06 barely distinguishable from another Corvette. You specified it's not different than any other Zo6.
I agree the Z06 is barely distinguishable from another Corvette. I have never stated otherwise. I stated only it is silly to post pictures of any mass-produced vehicle, whatever it happens to be - including of a Z06.

I was commenting on the odd need by many to post pictures of their cars, cars which are identical to every other example of the same vehicle. Why bother?

Specifically, I wrote:

"I am continually amused by the need of some to post multiple pictures of a mass-produced car which, not by coincidence, is identical to its stablemates. Oddly, I find my Z06 looks just like every other Z06, my Ducati Superbike as its brethren, etc."

Perhaps it would have been more clear if I also included my F30 looks like every other F30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
On an Accord Forum, chances are youll see 99.9% of the . . . pictures posted are . . . ACCORDS!
Of course. Succinctly stated: Duh, so what? See, above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen
. . . it does come across as hypocritical that we are caught up in our cars and notice differences you don't but you want specificity applied to your car that others would not notice either.
Except I state no such thing. You are arguing with yourself, not me. See, above.

I have no difficulty noticing the differences you reference. Rather, I opine only that the styling of the F30 is conservative, staid, safe, designed not to offend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhgolf View Post
The F30 as a winter beater. Never quite considered that. You cannot be serious.
Yes. No offense intended.

Again, I readily accept others are impressed with the styling of the F30. I happen to find it dull and nondescript. It is merely a subjective opinion. Arguing with positions I have not taken will not change my mind.

Last edited by Elk; 02-18-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is unlikely that any number of posts would: a) convince Elk that an F30 is a nice looking, non-staid car, b) convince anyone who thinks it looks pretty nice indeed (including me) to the contrary.

Some people like to post pictures of their car, even if they look just like any other, because... well they like to share with everyone else what their car looks like.
You could also argue why people post any pictures of themselves or their families in FB, Twiter or Instagram. After all a vast majority of people have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a nose, a mouth, etc...

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:

I agree the Z06 is barely distinguishable from another Corvette. I have never stated otherwise. I stated only it is silly to post pictures of any mass-produced vehicle, whatever it happens to be - including of a Z06.

I was commenting on the odd need by many to post pictures of their cars, cars which are identical to every other example of the same vehicle. Why bother?

Specifically, I wrote:

"I am continually amused by the need of some to post multiple pictures of a mass-produced car which, not by coincidence, is identical to its stablemates. Oddly, I find my Z06 looks just like every other Z06, my Ducati Superbike as its brethren, etc."

Perhaps it would have been more clear if I also included my F30 looks like every other F30.

Except I state no such thing. You are arguing with yourself, not me. See, above.

I have no difficulty noticing the differences you reference. Rather, I opine only that the styling of the F30 is conservative, staid, safe, designed not to offend.

Yes. No offense intended.

Again, I readily accept others are impressed with the styling of the F30. I happen to find it dull and nondescript. It is merely a subjective opinion. Arguing with positions I have not taken will not change my mind.

You seem to have some kind of hangup of people posting pictures of their cars on a car forum. Umm, having been on car forums for 20 years now, it's kind of the norm. Some people have one of a kind builds and post pictures, others post there BONE stock cars, some post pictures when they install new floor mats or a license plate frame. Their posting pictures on a car forum I find less "odd" as you put it than finding you "odd" for finding it odd lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 02-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjp735i View Post
Like I said, if you've never owned a Toyota, you'll never know what a reliable car is.

I owned two. One was a 1999 Corolla that was flawless. The other was a 2005 4runner that was un limon. Died at 11k nearly lemoned it, then cat, then serpentine, all within 2 years. Traded it in on a 3 series and haven't looked back. Yet.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 02-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Their posting pictures on a car forum I find less "odd" as you put it than finding you "odd" for finding it odd lol.
Not odd as in "uncommon," odd as in amusing and strangely redundant; we all know what the car looks like. Then again, perhaps I am rare in noting mass-produced cars of the same model are the same.

Remember there is a fine line between salvation and drinking Kool-Aid en masse in the jungle.

I am fully aware my reaction is uncommon. Of course, you may also find it amusing. I have no "hangup" as to the topic. I have merely continually responded to others, often you. My singular comment would have otherwise sufficed.

It makes sense to picture a non-identical significantly modded car, or if the picture is needed to illustrate a service question, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is unlikely that any number of posts would: a) convince Elk that an F30 is a nice looking, non-staid car, b) convince anyone who thinks it looks pretty nice indeed (including me) to the contrary.
Absolutely.

Although I think the F30 is nice enough looking, in a comfortably safe, undistinguished sort of way.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
My replies are out of interest, not a desire to change your mind which will not happen. It's discourse, which besides putting up predictable pictures of mass produced cars, is the other by product of car forums lol.

You never insulted me, I like seeing pictures of cars, if not something of my interest, I choose not to click on a thread or reply. It's really that simple. Things are of an interest to a person or not.
Quote:
Not odd as in "uncommon," odd as in amusing and strangely redundant; we all know what the car looks like. Then again, perhaps I am rare in noting mass-produced cars of the same model are the same.

Remember there is a fine line between salvation and drinking Kool-Aid en masse in the jungle.

I am fully aware my reaction is uncommon. Of course, you may also find it amusing. I have no "hangup" as to the topic. I have merely continually responded to others, often you. My singular comment would have otherwise sufficed.

It makes sense to picture a non-identical significantly modded car, or if the picture is needed to illustrate a service question, etc.

Absolutely.

Although I think the F30 is nice enough looking, in a comfortably safe, undistinguished sort of way.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: 6mt, for sale 9/14

'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt TUNED
Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Yoyo Mama

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335xi BSM
Quote:
I guess its a fair point but at least for me, I really found it helpful to see different colors and option combinations for exterior and interior. It helped me when I was picking out what I wanted for my F30. Yes - I'm also aware I can do to the dealership but that involves driving 20 minutes and they often don't have many combos in stock.

Everyone has different tastes so the plethora of combinations and choices in a forum like this is really invaluable for a consumer when deciding on options. That alone is worth posting pictures of you car - if not just to help other fellow Bimmer members.

F30 2013 335i xDrive BSM :: 8AT :: Sport Line:: Tech Package :: Anthracite :: Heated Seats

E90 2006 325i SG :: steptronic :: xenon :: power/heated seats :: comfort access :: sat prep :: poplar
Mods: Chrome Exhaust Tips

2013 RX 350 Mica Blue

Retired: 2001 325i
Retired: 2003 TL 3.2
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
1) Think my new Estroil Blue M Sport 328i is a sexy beast of a car.
2) Hope it's half as reliable as the MBZ 300E I've had privilege of driving since '91.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
You seem to have some kind of hangup of people posting pictures of their cars on a car forum. Umm, having been on car forums for 20 years now, it's kind of the norm. Some people have one of a kind builds and post pictures, others post there BONE stock cars, some post pictures when they install new floor mats or a license plate frame. Their posting pictures on a car forum I find less "odd" as you put it than finding you "odd" for finding it odd lol.
Exactly. Coming to a Forum about a certain car and dogging people for posting pictures of theirs, or more-so dogging people for thinking their cars can (gasp) be maybe in ones opinions one of the nicer cars out there, means the person in question doesn't understand how Car Forums work, or simply has some sort of agenda to push.

I think that if one thinks people are in over their heads because they find conservatively natured designs with evolutionarily thoughtful executions as attractive or interesting, then one in my opinion must not appreciate design in all its various forms.

I personally get more excited when I see a normal/traditional design done superbly than when I see a full blown Exotic. To me, exotic's are so shouty and unreal looking, that they're SO exciting initially, but then it kinda wears off. I'm sure if I had the funds to go shopping for exotics once every couple of years the "reality" of it would bring me more appreciative of it.

However, when I see a well done, lightly modded, nice color combo, well equipped 5-Series or 3-Series, I get way more excited. Silly me, I guess.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
I for one I'm thankful for most pictures. BMW PR shots are pretty bad. The buid your own site is great but the images aren't all that great either. So I have found a lot of the pictures in this forum very helpful for my research.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
I for one I'm thankful for most pictures. BMW PR shots are pretty bad. The buid your own site is great but the images aren't all that great either. So I have found a lot of the pictures in this forum very helpful for my research.
I too prefer amateur pics/vids to the professionally fluffed productions.