Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
code cleared, but check engine light wont go away

hi everyone, i've been getting p2187 & p2189 code recently so the dealership i got it from just replaced the pcv valve, air intake manifold gasket and cleaned up the throttle body. Check engine light went awayand car is running perfect.
prior to that, the car idled really rough and would hesitate when initally given gas from a stand still.

I refueled and added a bottle of techron. 2hrs into driving, after the dealership repairs, the light comes back on. i check the code with my scanner and its the same 2 codes i was getting prior to the repairs.
I erased the codes to see if they would come back again, which they probably will, before i head to the dealer again. theyre an hour and 15 min from me, so im not lookin fwd to another trip so soon. theyre doing the work for free so i have no choice.
So with all that info, the check engine light didnt go away after i erased the codes. rescanning is showing no codes but the light is still on. The scanner is even saying MIL OF. Isnt the light supposed to go off after error codes are gone?
and anyone else have tbe running lean at idle on both bankscodes?
car is running perfect after the repairs but the emmissions inspection is due and i need my tags renewed.
Ads by Google
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 750Li
yes and no, the codes is stored in 3 places and I don't know how your scanner clears. The fault may be gone but the key still registered a check engine light. hope that makes sense
Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750LI
thanks....the light turned off....the codes are in pending status now which means it'll eventually trigger the light again. off to the dealership i go

Last edited by My1st750li; 02-19-2013 at 06:32 AM.