Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Mein Auto: 11 335d, 12 X5d, 13 EVO
Finally had to use the diesel fueling adapter!

Stopped to fill up....got some funny looks! Thought id share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359767482.752019.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	360170  

And a little Burger Tuning for my diesels.
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Oil Burners Rule!

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
I had to use it two or three times...all in the Midwest as it turns out.Not a big deal once you get the hang of it.Just remember to pump very slowly and not try to completely fill up unless you want a bath of diesel fuel.

Fuelly
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Here in Canada we never have to worry about this.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Never say never Greekboy.

I had to use the adapter several times:
@ the Shell stations located at Morningside / Sheppard Ave and Liverpool / 401.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5
I imagine this thing smells for quite a while after each use - where/how do you guys store it afterwards?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-IT View Post
Never say never Greekboy.

I had to use the adapter several times:
@ the Shell stations located at Morningside / Sheppard Ave and Liverpool / 401.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Wow. I never would have expected this at all.

I'm not even sure if I have the adapter in my car.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
I keep mine on the plastic container it came with in the front passenger door storage bin.
This way during fill up if I need it it's on the same side as the fuel tank opening.

After 3 years I kind of got used to the SWEET smell of Diesel.lol

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 02-15-2013, 12:00 PM
d is for Diesel

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
I too keep mine in the plastic tube it came in. Store it in the "trunk".

Secret weapon I also keep back there. Baby wipes. I buy the generic stuff from Target stores. I discovered how effective they were by accident one day. I was doing the brakes on my wife's e90 and needed to wipe my hands quick to do something. I couldn't believe these wipes worked that well!! I was sort of afraid to use it on my baby afterwords cause hell if it works that good on brake dust, what does it have in it that i'm wiping on my kid's skin!!

discovered something interesting though. I generally fill up in a state where I do not have to pump my own fuel. I've only ever had one problem with the guy wasn't able to stick the nozzle in. However, i've recently started fueling at a shell station as i've heard their cetane ratings are some of the best around though their stations are self serve. The first time I fueled there, I stuck the nozzle in, no problem. The second time, at a different pump, wouldn't fit. Had to use the adapter. The THIRD time, I went back to the pump I used first and it didn't fit. Had to use the adapter again. Strange... and the guy tells me they're all car nozzles.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
All automobile diesel nozzles should be 15/16" and fit in the 335d or 35d (I've never found one that didn't, but they do have to go absolutely straight in, as the fit is very tight, and the spring stops the nozzle from going in very far). THe adapter is for use with high flow truck nozzles that are almost twice the diameter of the car nozzle. I would think you'd have excess spillage using the adapter on a car nozzle.

Last edited by ChasR; 02-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:14 PM
d is for Diesel

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35D
That in theory is the correct answer but if you read around, several people have had problems with the car nozzles not fitting or at the very least not pushing the correct portions of the safety valves to get it to go in. Why I have a problem with one particular set of pumps is a mystery to me. I would assume that the adapter is the same size as the car nozzle but if that's the case, why haven't i ever had a problem with the adapter going in but i do with the nozzle. Not gonna sit there and spend 10 Minutes trying to jam the nozzle in "the right way" when the adapter slips in oh so nicely. Just gotta know when to let up so no diesel shower

Oh and I can't say enough about those wipes haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
All automobile diesel nozzles should be 15/16" and fit in the 335d or 35d (I've never found one that didn't, but they do have to go absolutely straight in, as the fit is very tight, and the spring stops the nozzle from going in very far). THe adapter is for use with high flow truck nozzles that are almost twice the diameter of the car nozzle. I would think you'd have excess spillage using the adapter on a car nozzle.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Pastafarian Extraordinair

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kungpao View Post
I too keep mine in the plastic tube it came in. Store it in the "trunk".

Secret weapon I also keep back there. Baby wipes. I buy the generic stuff from Target stores. I discovered how effective they were by accident one day. I was doing the brakes on my wife's e90 and needed to wipe my hands quick to do something. I couldn't believe these wipes worked that well!! I was sort of afraid to use it on my baby afterwords cause hell if it works that good on brake dust, what does it have in it that i'm wiping on my kid's skin!!

discovered something interesting though. I generally fill up in a state where I do not have to pump my own fuel. I've only ever had one problem with the guy wasn't able to stick the nozzle in. However, i've recently started fueling at a shell station as i've heard their cetane ratings are some of the best around though their stations are self serve. The first time I fueled there, I stuck the nozzle in, no problem. The second time, at a different pump, wouldn't fit. Had to use the adapter. The THIRD time, I went back to the pump I used first and it didn't fit. Had to use the adapter again. Strange... and the guy tells me they're all car nozzles.
There's a little trick you can try. There are times when the nozzle will loose it's round shape. This will causes difficulty when trying to insert it. The trick is to turn the nozzle clock or counter clock wise as you insert it. This usually resolves the issue. Of course, make sure that the pump is sized for auto and not truck.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasR View Post
All automobile diesel nozzles should be 15/16" and fit in the 335d or 35d
That is correct. Unfortunately, in some parts of the country (Nebraska comes to mind, based on a recent trip), many of the stations use the 13/16" gasoline nozzle on their Diesel pumps. I suppose they figure it will obviously fit into the bigger 15/16" opening of the Diesel vehicles, so no harm done, they but did not count on the "clever" engineers who came-up with a system that prevents nozzles too small to go into the fuel filler opening.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
ust remember to pump very slowly and not try to completely fill up unless you want a bath of diesel fuel.
+1

Been there. Done that.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
That is correct. Unfortunately, in some parts of the country (Nebraska comes to mind, based on a recent trip), many of the stations use the 13/16" gasoline nozzle on their Diesel pumps. I suppose they figure it will obviously fit into the bigger 15/16" opening of the Diesel vehicles, so no harm done, they but did not count on the "clever" engineers who came-up with a system that prevents nozzles too small to go into the fuel filler opening.
I have only found this once. No issues ever finding diesel with the correct nozzle. So many diesel pickups, every station has diesel set up. N4S
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Once in 25 fill ups I needed it at a major brand near the southern part of I-695 (the Baltimore Beltway). Mostly I use the device to put additives in my tank. Being a long time diesel owner (since 1986) I have never needed the gloves or made a mess in the trunk. Just get a paper towel and wipe it off and put it back in the plastic container and then in the plastic bag.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Nitto Motivo tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).